Six Yolo County homes will be open for viewing during this fall’s Heart of the Home Tour from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 20.
The tour benefits the Elderly Nutrition/Meals on Wheels Program. Guests will have the opportunity to view new and remodeled kitchens and living areas, and sample food from selected restaurants in each of the homes.
Featured homes include:
* A rambling new straw bale house in rural Woodland;
* A historic farmhouse near Winters;
* An architect’s home with artistic vision in Davis;
* A beautiful kitchen remodel, to accommodate a young family, in Woodland. (This home will be featured in the fall issue of the national Signature Kitchens and Baths magazine.);
* A quaint home with contemporary flair in downtown Davis; and
* A remodeled home with a Mediterranean feel in Davis. (This home will be featured in the October issue of Sacramento Magazine).
Each year, Elderly Nutrition/Meals on Wheels Programs in Yolo County provides more than 80,000 hot, nutritious meals to frail, homebound elder adults, and to seniors in group settings. All proceeds from the tour will directly benefit these programs.
New this year is the “Heart of the Home Top Chef Competition” between the restaurant or chef at each of the six homes. Visitors will vote for the “Top Chef” based on food taste and presentation during the day. Restaurants participating include Maria’s Cantina of Woodland, Preserves of Winters, Osteria Fasulo of Davis and Ludy’s Main St. BBQ & Catering of Woodland.
Berryessa Gap, Route 3 Winery, Simas Family Wines and Berryessa Brew also will have beverages for tasting.
Also new this year will be the opportunity to win prizes displayed in each home. Tickets for the drawings will be sold separately. One of the six major prizes offered will be a Big Green Egg, courtesy of Home Improvements Group and Sierra Select.
Home tour tickets are $25 each and may be purchased at The Avid Reader, 617 Second St. in Davis; The Gifted Penguin, Terry’s Hallmark and The Home Improvements Group in Woodland; Cloth Carousel in Winters; and the Carvalho Winery at the Old Sugar Mill in Clarksburg.
Tickets also may be purchased by phone at 530-662-7035, ext. 207, or online at www.elderlynutrition.org.