* The César Chávez Student Council is sponsoring a used book sale on Wednesday and Thursday from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. for the public to help raise funds for new lunch tables and other school activities. More than 5,000 gently-used quality books, CDs and DVDs for children and adults will be available at reasonable prices. All soft cover picture books and kids chapter books will be 25 cents and hard-cover books $1. For more information, contact Sara Caulfield at email@example.com or Kathy Roggenbuck at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Saturday, Dec. 15
* Come to Candy Cane Court — aka Henri Court in Wildhorse — on Saturday for a lively celebration. In its 10th and final year, the beautifully decorated neighborhood will welcome Santa from 6 to 8 p.m., and members of the Holmes Junior High and Davis High School bands and the Cal Aggie Marching Band-uh will be there to perform.
Says homeowner Kristy Powell, “After 10 great years, thousands of candy cans, tons of food for STEAC, and winning $100,000 for our schools (from a nationwide contest sponsored by Patch.com, a local news website owned by AOL) this will be Candy Cane Court’s final year.”
Visitors are asked to bring a can of food for STEAC, a camera and their holiday spirit.
Friday, Dec. 21
* Today is the deadline for the City of Davis Golden Heart Award nominations. The awards, created to honor Davis student Andrew Mockus, who died in 1992, recognize local teens for outstanding service to their community or for overcoming significant personal challenges. To nominate a teen, download a nomination form at http://www.davisteenscene.org. Nomination forms are due in the community services office, 600 A St., Suite C, by 5 p.m. Forms may also be emailed to email@example.com. Youth in grades 7-12 are eligible for the awards and may be nominated in either the service or personal challenge category. The reception and awards presentation will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 6:30 p.m. at the City Council meeting. For more information, call the community services department at 530-757-5626 or visit http://www.davisteenscene.org.
* Davis Little League registration is open for the spring season. Little League is open to boys and girls ages 4-14 (based on player’s age as of April 30, 2013). DLL has levels from Tee-ball to Juniors and serves nearly 1000 Davis players each season. Register at http://davislittleleague.org/index.php: Costs are $100 for Tee-ball; $155 for Farm ball, AA, AA, and Majors; and $250 for Juniors. Late fees apply on and after January 1, so register now.
* Attention, high school seniors! It’s not too soon to think about Grad Night 2013! The tickets for the all-night commencement celebration in June cover food, drinks and entertainment and are at their lowest price, $75, until Dec. 31. Scholarships are available through school counselors. Ticket forms can be found at www.davisgradnight.org and questions may be answered at firstname.lastname@example.org.