* Harper Junior High School hosts its annual Open House featuring food trucks and live music performed in the quad by students. Food trucks, including Fuzion Eatz, Addison’s Originals and Off the Mapp Espresso, will donate a portion of proceeds to Harper. Food will be for sale beginning at 5:45 p.m. and the open house gets underway at 7 p.m. The community is welcome to stop by and learn more about the school, 4000 E Covell Blvd.
Friday and Saturday
* The Citrus Circuits robotics team will compete at the FIRST Robotics regional competition at the UC Davis ARC Pavilion on Friday and Saturday. The event is free and open to the public. Qualifying rounds are Friday from 9 a.m. to noon and from 1 to 5:45 p.m. On Saturday, qualifying matches will run from 9 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. with final rounds taking place from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. An awards ceremony will take place following the final rounds. Citrus Circuits includes students from Da Vinci Charter Academy and Davis High School, as well as Holmes, Emerson, Harper and Da Vinci junior high schools.
Now through April 1
* Sophomores and juniors: Interested in doing research at UC Davis this summer? The UC Davis Young Scholars Program offers summer research opportunities in biology and the natural sciences for high achieving high school students. Applications are due April 1. Go to the Davis High School Career Center for more information and an application.
* Youth ages 11 to 15 can receive baby-sitter training from the American Red Cross during a weekend-long session at the Community Pool Building at Community Park. Hours are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday and the session costs $150. Register with the city of Davis Community Services Department by calling 530-757-5626 or visit http://community-services.cityofdaivs.org
Friday, April 12
* Students in grades 7-9 are invited to a junior high dance from 7 to 9:30 p.m. at the Veterans’ Memorial Center, 203 E. 14th St. Tickets are $8 and may be purchased in advance at the Community Services Department, 600 A St., Suite C. For more information, call 530-757-5626.