* Students in grades 7-9 are invited to a junior high dance from 7 to 9:30 p.m. at the Veterans’ Memorial Center, 203 E. 14th St. Tickets are $8 and may be purchased in advance at the Community Services Department, 600 A St., Suite C. For more information, call 530-757-5626.
* Children can start dreaming big by focusing on science careers in STEM fields thanks to a city of Davis and Mad Science program featuring firefighters, chemists, engineers and more demonstrating eye-opening experiments beginning at 2 p.m. at the Veterans’ Memorial Theater, 203 E. 14th St. Tickets are $7 general and $5 for children if purchased in advance at the Community Services Department, 600 A St., Suite C; Armadillo Music, 205 F St.; or The Avid Reader, 617 Second St. Tickets are $8 at the door. For more information, call 530-757-5626.
* “College: Making it Happen!” is a college information day from 8:30 a.m. until noon at the Sacramento State University Union Ballroom. This program for sixth- through 10th-grade students and their parents will include sessions in both Spanish and English on career exploration, college majors, preparing for college academically and how to pay for college. Tours of CSUS will be offered. The event is free but pre-registration is required at http://www.csus.edu/cmih.
* The Emerson Junior High School PTA is bringing the carnival back to town. Located once again at Cannery Park at J Street and Covell Boulevard, the carnival will feature popular rides like the Zipper, Century Wheel and Cliff Hanger, as well as games and food. Advance purchase all-day passes are $20, good for unlimited rides. All proceeds support classroom technology at Emerson and DaVinci junior highs. Purchase tickets now at Fleet Feet, 615 Second St. and Davis Food Co-op, 620 G St. Tickets also will be sold on select days at the Davis Farmer’s Market.
Thursday, May 16
* Come support children’s nutrition, expand access to quality school meals, and enhance the healthfulness of the school food environment at the Davis Joint Unified School District’s nutrition advisory committee meeting from 4 to 6 p.m. at Harper Junior High School, 4000 E. Covell Blvd. For more information, contact Student Nutrition Services at firstname.lastname@example.org or 530-759-2186.
Thursday, June 6
* The city of Davis presents the annual “Sixth Grade Graduation Party” from 6:30 to 9 p.m. at the Veterans’ Memorial Center, 203 E. 14th St. Tickets are $10 and may be purchased at the Community Services Department, 600 A St., Suite C, beginning May 21. Activities include foosball, board games, video games and more. Information will be sent home from area schools, including a medical release form that parents must fill out and sign in order for students to enter the party. For more information, call 530-757-5626 or visit http://www.cityofdavis.org.
June 17-Aug. 9
* The Vault opens for business on Monday, June 17, providing a summer hangout for students in grades 7-12 weekdays until Aug. 9. Sponsored by the city of Davis, the Vault is housed at King High School, 635 B St., and is open on a drop-in basis Mondays through Thursdays from 3:30 to 8 p.m. and Fridays 3:30 to 9 p.m. The Vault is closed on Saturdays, Sundays and July 4. The cost is $1 per day or $25 for the whole summer. To learn more, call 530-757-5626 or visit http://www.davisteenscene.org.
* Youth ages 11 to 15 can receive babysitter training and CPR/First Aid certification during a two-day class in the Community Pool Building. The class is offered by the city of Davis Community Services Department from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. both days. The cost is $150. Additional trainings will be July 13-14 and Aug. 10-11. For more information and to register, call 530-757-5626 or visit http://www.cityofdavis.org.