* Submissions are being accepted all month for a Citywide Photo Contest sponsored by the Davis Community Services Department. Participants will be split into three age groups: 6-11, 12-17 and over 18. Categories include portraits, environment, black and white, and more. For rules and details on how to submit photos, visit www.cityofdavis.org, or call 530-757-5626.
Saturday, Sept. 14
* The Movies in the Park series continues with a showing of “The Avengers” beginning at sunset in Central Park, Fourth and C streets. The annual fall movie series, in which family-friendly movies are shown on a big screen in the park, is sponsored by the Davis Sunset Rotary Club and Woodland Healthcare.
* Join the Davis High School Blue and White Foundation for the 2013 Hall of Fame induction dinner at Freeborn Hall. Five new members join the Hall this year: Bob Bowen, Theresa Hayes, Gina Ostini Miles, Rick Stromberg and Lynne Unger Yackzan. Tickets are available by calling 530-753-7730 or visiting www.DHSBlueandWhite.org.
Saturday, Sept. 21
* Bring the family and blanket to sit on and learn “How to Train Your Dragon,” the next installment in the Movies in the Park series. Sponsored by the Davis Sunset Rotary Club and Woodland Healthcare, the free movie gets underway at sunset in Central Park, Fourth and C streets.
* Celebrate National Gymnastics Day at a Civic Center Gym during an open house from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Admission is free and all ages are welcome. The gym is at 23 Russell Blvd.
* Youths ages 11 to 15 can receive American Red Cross baby-sitter training during a two-day program at the Community Pool Building in Community Park. Training includes child and infant CPR, choking rescue and first aid. Training hours are 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. both Saturday and Sunday and the cost is $150. For more information, call the Community Services Department at 530-757-5626 or visit www.cityofdavis.org.
Sunday, Sept. 29
* “What You Need to Know About College Admissions” will be the subject of a seminar given by Jennifer Borenstein, independent college adviser and owner of The Right College for You in Davis. The free workshop will be in the Blanchard Room of the Stephens Branch Library, 315 E. 14th St. in Davis, from 2 to 4 p.m. Borenstein will discuss how to apply to college featuring an overview of the college admissions process; a timeline of what to do and when to do it; the different types of colleges; and financial aid and scholarships. Call the library at 530-757-5593 to reserve a spot.
Saturday, Oct. 5
The fall Movies in the Park” series concludes with a showing of “Monsters Inc.” beginning at sunset in Central Park, Fourth and C streets. The annual fall movie series, in which family-friendly movies are shown on a big screen in the park — bring a blanket to sit on — has been sponsored by the Davis Sunset Rotary Club and Woodland Healthcare.