YOLO COUNTY NEWS

Forum

Cheers and Jeers: Congrats to all the candidates

By From page A10 | June 06, 2014

We offer our cheers and jeers for local newsmakers as we look back over the previous week:

CHEERS to our friends and neighbors who took the ultimate leap into public service — running for office. We know the campaign trail is grueling — getting your message out there, meeting innumerable voters, raising money, answering hundreds of interview questions and, most of all, exposing yourself and your family to public inspection.

We’re grateful that good people continue to step up and run for election. While we may be tough on some local politicians, we respect that their job is a difficult one. We hope they continue to be guided by the knowledge they gained during the campaign and their willingness to reach out and listen to their constituents.

But JEERS to the shameful voter turnout for the statewide primary election Tuesday, even in Davis — a city that prides itself on being politically involved. With only 30 percent of Davis’ registered voters bothering to cast their ballots, the other 70 percent are forbidden to complain for the next four years. And don’t get us started on the folks who don’t even care to register …

Double JEERS to the nearly 300,000 people — 2,370 Yolo County residents (more than 800 in Davis) — who voted for Leland Yee for secretary of state. Casting a vote for someone who dropped out of the race in March, following his arrest on corruption and conspiracy charges, makes one shudder at what other choices were ticked on those ballots.

CHEERS to the more than 2,500 people who filled the UC Davis Quad last Friday to show support for sister campus UC Santa Barbara, the most recent location of a murder-suicide rampage.

We know that many UCD students are hurting — especially those who knew the victims from high school days and those who share a kinship through the Greek system. We’re grateful to Sasha Kasper, a second-year student from Thousand Oaks who organized the vigil, for bringing thousands of us together to support each other and offer solace.

“May you hold your friends tighter,” she told those assembled. “May you lend a hand or ear to someone who is lonely or in need of a friend. And may we all never take a single day for granted.”

CHEERS to the Davis High School baseball team for capturing the program’s third Sac-Joaquin Section title. The Blue Devils didn’t do it the easy way — they had to win do-or-die games to clinch both the North Division championship and the section banner — but they did it with flair.

Davis won two of three games from St. Mary’s to claim the section’s top spot. The squad used solid pitching, timely hitting and aggressive base-running to topple the Rams, who had won three out of the last four years.

Congratulations to coach Dan Ariola and his team for giving all Davis baseball fans a reason to be proud.

Enterprise staff

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this newspaper and receive notifications of new articles by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2015 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.