A few points in defense of Israel:
* In 2005, Israel withdrew from Gaza, thus giving the Palestinians a chance to run their own affairs. By overwhelming majority they elected to be governed by Hamas. The rest is history;
* The blockade has been in force after Hamas came to power. It is totally legal since The Hamas Charter openly proclaims the goal of eradicating Israel and its citizens (and that probably would include the 1.6 million Israeli Arabs, many of whom identify with the Palestinians);
* Israel undertook military actions to stop incessant bombardments of its southern cities from Gaza, primarily Sderot, but Ashdod and Ashkelon as well;
* American aid constitutes less than 20 percent of Israeli military budget. The lion’s share of this aid is directed toward high-tech development, such as the Iron Dome, which serves the interests of both countries;
* Both Marsha Carlton and Mikos Fabersunne, in their alleged U.S. dollar amounts to Israel, fail to mention how much U.S. aid has gone to Egypt since 1948 ($68 billion) nor the recent debt relief of $1 billion that the ruling Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt can now enjoy; and
* For those sincerely interested in boycotting Israeli goods, and companies that produce goods that are sold in the United States and that support Israel: Stop using products that contain microchips, software, email, IM’ing, cell phones, iPods, iPads (Apple does research and development in Israel and uses Intel processors, also in Israel).
Thank you, Davis Food Co-op for being reasonable in your decisions, and to all the other companies and citizens of Davis for not being intimidated by false allegations and misinformation.