Hooray! Democracy in Egypt! The people are celebrating tonight, Feb. 11. Mubarak has resigned today!
Poor souls, tomorrow morning they will wake up and discover that they have traded a dictator for martial law. Maybe down the road at some point there will be an election of sorts. Democracy at last?
It will only be democracy if:
• The first elected government does not immediately abolish democracy.
• The elected government does not immediately abolish free speech.
• If the elected government is not a bunch of religious fanatic extremists.
• If the elections allow everybody to vote without pressure or violence.
• If the elections allow all parties and people to campaign freely and nobody locks up the media (figuratively and literally).
• If after the election you do not have factions that do not accept the outcome and will fight to the death for a different result.
We will see …