Tuesday, September 2, 2014
YOLO COUNTY NEWS
99 CENTS

Heed importance of agriculture

By
From page A10 | June 08, 2014 |

Sen. Dianne Feinstein does not deserve being blasted by members of the state Legislature nor being characterized as being “owned” by “big ag” to destroy the delta in the political cartoon in The Enterprise. She took a gutsy and justified step in pushing back against the over-reaching demands and onerous regulations driven by the environmental groups to prioritize water for the delta smelt and the salmon over agriculture.

We lack water storage in this state. The opposition of environmental groups has prevented the construction of reservoirs, which would not have prevented the drought, but would have prevented the dire situation that we now have. Agriculture uses 41 percent of the water, with the remaining 59 percent used for habitat and municipal customers.

Farmers have spent millions of dollars installing fish screens on water intake pipes to prevent fish from entering the pipes. Millions to billions of dollars have been spent to improve irrigation practices — drip lines in orchards and vineyards and subsurface drip tape for row crops — producing more per acre with less water.

Agriculture in California contributes billions of dollars to the state economy. Consider the ways that agriculture touches just this area — the university with its research and development, the vet school, Extension services, agricultural specialties, “field stations” and technology development.

Consider the employment of tens of thousands, if not millions of people in this state — field workers, machinery manufacturers, mechanics, equipment operators, harvest crews, the dryers, warehouses, processing shed and companies, farmers markets, grocery stores, truckers who bring the products, fertilizer and chemical companies (research and development), irrigation companies, nurseries, seed companies and more.

California is the largest producer of many foods in the United States and the world and has the strictest regulations for food safety — from production to the consumer.
Most farms in California are family farms, even if, for business reasons, the family is a partnership, an LLC or other entity. Farmers are good stewards of the land and water. Preserving both ensures the continuation of farming into the next generations. A thriving agriculture ensures a thriving California.
Thank you, Sen. Feinstein.
Vernette Marsh

Davis

Comments

comments

Letters to the Editor

.

News

Davis not immune: Are you ready for a big quake?

By Dave Ryan | From Page: A1 | Gallery

 
Planning begins for Davis Neighbors’ Night Out

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A1

 
Learn about RNA at Science Café

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

 
Google Glass will be discussed, demonstrated

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

Cuddle up at Project Linus’ meeting

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

 
Tickets still available for DHS Hall of Fame dinner

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

International folk dancing offered Sundays

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

 
Public opinion sought about Nishi Gateway

By Lily Holmes | From Page: A3

Rose garden bricks to be dedicated Saturday

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

 
Got bikes? Donate ‘em!

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

It’s About Time plays Davis Farmers Market’s Picnic in the Park

By Anthony Siino | From Page: A3 | Gallery

 
Register year-round at Davis Chinese School

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A8

 
.

Forum

Tom Meyer cartoon

By Debbie Davis | From Page: A4

 
Have the facts before you judge

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A4

Tesla has state walking a tightrope

By Tom Elias | From Page: A4

 
Special-needs passengers ignored

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A4

A cure for Davis’ problems

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A4

 
A good use for the MRAP

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A4

Marriage vs. male instinct

By Creators Syndicate | From Page: B5

 
.

Sports

DHS boys looking to replicate a big cross country performance

By Spencer Ault | From Page: B1 | Gallery

 
Life without MacDonald starts Friday for DHS

By Thomas Oide | From Page: B1 | Gallery

Clark recalls his hole-in-one — the first at Davis Golf Course

By Bruce Gallaudet | From Page: B1 | Gallery

 
Fruits of their Labor Day

By Sue Cockrell | From Page: B1 | Gallery

 
UCD roundup: Aggies edge Quinnipiac in overtime

By Enterprise staff | From Page: B2

Sports briefs: Hot Shots basketball tryouts coming up

By Enterprise staff | From Page: B3

 
Junior Blue Devils strong in home debut, winning 3 on the field

By Enterprise staff | From Page: B8 | Gallery

.

Features

.

Arts

.

Business

.

Obituaries

Elaine Dracia Greenberg

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A5

 
.

Comics

Comics: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 (set 1)

By Creator | From Page: B5

 
Comics: Tuesday, September 2, 2014 (set 2)

By Creator | From Page: B7