Friday, December 26, 2014
YOLO COUNTY NEWS
99 CENTS

Lawyers’ choice speaks volumes

By
From page A16 | May 18, 2014 |

I have known Janene Beronio for a number of years and have found her to be a really good listener, but also someone who hears what is being said. The world is full of talkers — but it seems to me that a person who wants to be a judge should be a good listener first.

You have to not only listen to what people have to tell you, but you have to also hear what it is that they are saying. Janene Beronio has been a Yolo Court commissioner for many years and I am sure she would be a really fine judge if she is elected in June.

One other thing: It’s really hard for voters to evaluate candidates for judge. That’s because it’s not a political office — it’s a judicial office, and it’s hard for folks who aren’t in court to know what it is judges really do and what really goes on in court. That’s why I thought the endorsement of Janene by the Yolo County Bar Association is so significant.

The Yolo Bar is made up of the family law attorneys, juvenile law attorneys, civil lawyers, probate lawyers, deputy district attorneys, deputy public defenders and criminal defense attorneys who practice in the Yolo courts day after day. They see and know, first-hand, what’s going on in the courts.

The County Bar Association held a forum and invited all four candidates for judge to come and speak and answer questions. After the forum, the Bar took a vote of all the members. The result speaks volumes: The Yolo County Bar Association voted for Janene Beronio as the best candidate for judge. But more importantly, it was 78 percent of the Bar that voted for Janene. That means the other three candidates — combined — only got 22 percent of the vote. To me, that speaks volumes.

Lea Rosenberg
Davis

Comments

comments

Letters to the Editor

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this newspaper and receive notifications of new articles by email.

  • .

    News

    Exchange students bring the world to Davis

    By Anne Ternus-Bellamy | From Page: A1 | Gallery

     
    Pastor has many plans for CA House

    By Jeff Hudson | From Page: A1 | Gallery

     
    Transit survey: 47 percent ride bikes to UCD campus

    By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A1 | Gallery

    Goats help recycle Christmas trees

    By The Associated Press | From Page: A2 | Gallery

     
    Playing Santa

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A2 | Gallery

     
    Special holiday gifts

    By Sue Cockrell | From Page: A3

    Woodland-Davis commute bus service expands

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

     
    Learn fruit tree tips at free class

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

    Davis Bike Club hears about British cycling tour

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

     
    Pick up a Davis map at Chamber office

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

    Sierra Club calendars on sale Saturday

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

     
    Explorit: Get a rise out of science

    By Lisa Justice | From Page: A4

    NAMI meeting offers family support

    By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A6

     
    Yoga, chanting intro offered

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A8

    .

    Forum

    How much for the calling birds?

    By Creators Syndicate | From Page: B5

     
    Blamed for her sister’s rage

    By Creators Syndicate | From Page: B5

     
    Steve Sack cartoon

    By Debbie Davis | From Page: A10

     
    Many ensured a successful parade

    By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A10

    Thanks for putting food on the table

    By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A10

     
    .

    Sports

     
    Two more for the road for 9-1 Aggie men

    By Bruce Gallaudet | From Page: B1 | Gallery

    Patterson is college football’s top coach

    By The Associated Press | From Page: B1 | Gallery

     
    Clippers get a win over Golden State

    By The Associated Press | From Page: B1 | Gallery

    NBA roundup: Heat beat Cavs in LeBron’s return to Miami

    By The Associated Press | From Page: B10 | Gallery

     
    .

    Features

    .

    Arts

    ‘Unbroken': A bit underwhelming

    By Derrick Bang | From Page: A11 | Gallery

     
    Folk musicians will jam on Jan. 2

    By Enterprise staff | From Page: A11

    .

    Business

    Passat: Roomy, affordable sedan with German engineering

    By Ann M. Job | From Page: B3 | Gallery

     
    .

    Obituaries

    James J. Dunning Jr.

    By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A4

     
    Floyd W. Fenocchio

    By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A4

    .

    Comics

    Comics: Friday, December 26, 2014 (set 2)

    By Creator | From Page: B7

     
    Comics: Thursday, December 26, 2014 (set 1)

    By Creator | From Page: A9