Having the opportunity to play sports at Davis High School is an important and pivotal part of many students’ experience. We are fortunate to live in a community that emphasizes healthy living and to reside in a town that offers a plethora of opportunities.
Perhaps it would be helpful for everyone — parents, coaches and players alike — to review what the mission statement is for DHS athletics:
The interscholastic athletic program provides the opportunity to develop:
* A lifelong standard of good sportsmanship and citizenship;
* Increased self-esteem;
* Understanding of individual roles within the team;
* Mutual respect among players and coaches;
* Athletic skills, knowledge and strategies of the game;
* Lasting attitudes about the importance of cooperation, and teamwork;
* School and community spirit;
* A healthy attitude about winning and losing;
* Student awareness of the condition and development of their bodies; and
If these truly are the goals of our athletics program and the coaches are embracing them fully and effectively, then they should be rewarded. If not, they should be reviewed. And, if these goals are not in alignment with the current coaching philosophies, then they should be changed to reflect that.
If everyone’s motives are aligned to what I believe are healthy objectives, then everyone wins.