I am president of the Davis High School PTA and am writing to correct several factual misstatements in the letter to the editor from Imelda Granda regarding the school board candidates forum, co-sponsored by Davis High PTA and NewStar Chinese School on Friday, Sept. 28.
Just before the candidates began speaking, a woman volunteering to help with forum but not affiliated with DHS PTA or NewStar Chinese School, and not a DJUSD employee, took it upon herself to remove Jose Granda’s Measure E materials from the table. I confirmed with my co-host that Measure E materials of any kind were welcome. The forum was beginning and I glanced over at the table, saw Mrs. Granda handling piles of paper at the table and assumed she had located and replaced the removed materials.
A few minutes later, I walked past Mrs. Granda, who motioned to me from the audience. In whispers, she indicated some of Mr. Granda’s materials were missing from the table. I returned to the table and again saw several stacks of his materials. I also noticed a pile of papers turned upside down on the ledge just above the table. I flipped them over and saw they were Granda’s Measure E materials and replaced them on the table.
I whispered an apology to Mrs. Granda and assured her the papers were back on the table. At that point, I left the forum for a long-standing prior engagement.
* No one who works at the DHS library attended the event.
* The person who removed the papers is not affiliated with DHS PTA, NewStar Chinese School, DHS or DJUSD.
* Mrs. Granda was not told “here we are the Yes on E and he is the No on E.” She misquoted me, I assume because she misheard me as we were conducting our conversation in whispers while the candidates were giving their opening statements.
* There was no one who “after realizing what she had done,… left.” That was me who left, to attend another event.
* Granda’s materials were returned to the table by the time the candidates’ opening statements were completed.