No to mass medication

Did you know that fluoride was once used as a pesticide? Does it really make sense to put a substance linked to poison warnings in our drinking water?

Research actually shows that fluoride’s primary benefit comes from direct topical contact, not from ingestion. Since fluoride is not an essential nutrient — meaning our bodies do not need it to survive — this extreme measure could have serious risks and long-term consequences.

Studies from the National Toxicology Program indicate that excessive fluoride ingestion causes genetic damage. Not scary enough for you? It has also been linked to kidney problems, thyroid disease, male infertility, diabetes, cancer and other health problems.

Fluoridating our water supply is a haphazard form of mass medication. Some of us try really hard to live naturally and not “over-medicate.” Please do not force us to drink, bathe, cook, water our plants and put our children and pets at risk by contaminating our water with this questionable drug.

Charlotte M. Orr

Letters to the Editor

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this newspaper and receive notifications of new articles by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2016 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.