Oliphant’s wake-up call

By From page A6 | April 09, 2013

The Pat Oliphant cartoon appearing in The Davis Enterprise on April 2 was a very brave attempt to give America a long-overdue wake-up call.

The text of the cartoon (directed to some hopeful immigrants to our country) read as follows: “Listen! The health care system here is laughable, as are the tax and education systems. The political system is loaded with venal politicians owned by people with enough money to buy them. The trains we have don’t run on time, and if you’re looking for bullet trains, go to Italy. The country is full of armed crazies with gun rights. American jurisprudence is completely flawed and nonsensical. Why would you want to swap your banana republic for this one? And you forgot to mention the banks.”

Most likely, limited space did not allow Oliphant to mention the enormous problem we have with the inequitable distribution of wealth in our country, where 1 percent of the population now owns 40 percent of the wealth, and where the upper 20 percent of our population owns 93 percent of the wealth, which leaves 7 percent of the wealth to be distributed among the remaining 80 percent of our population.

This sad and dangerous state of affairs is based on an extreme celebration of greed in our country, as evidenced by the fact that the average corporate CEO is paid 380 times as much as the average worker in that same corporation. Put another way, a corporate CEO in one hour makes more money than the average corporate worker makes in more than a month.

In America, the transfer of wealth from lower- to upper-income groups has been going on for more than three decades and is accelerating. Consequently, we’re sitting on a ticking time bomb that could explode at any time. Wake up, America!

Don Kyhos


Letters to the Editor

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this newspaper and receive notifications of new articles by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2016 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.