Vote yes on Measure P

We cannot afford these expensive water rates. The City Council claims its share of the surface water project is $107 million. That is not a true statement. The council has not told you about the overall costs, which are significant, such as bond interest, service charges and  operating expenses. These fees could cause the final cost to be twice what it claims, and maybe three times as much. No one knows the exact amount at this time.

From the proposed 12 million gallons of treated water that Davis would receive each day, 1 percent (120,000 gallons) would be used for human consumption. The remaining 99 percent (11.88 million gallons) would be used for sanitation purpose and irrigation, neither of which require treated water. May we agree that this is a terrible waste of our financial resources?

Vote yes on Measure P. There is nothing equitable about charging certain ratepayers a higher fee for water than others. Remember that businesspeople are only a conduit for handling money. All fees charged to a business are recovered in the price it charges for its goods and services, and rightly so. The consumer pays for it all, sooner or later.

Very few people understand the CBFR system, which the City Council has endorsed. Please, let us not play hide-and-seek with the water rates. What could possibly be wrong with one rate fits all? The use of the tier system is nothing more than a shell game. In any given rate system, it still costs the same to pump a unit of water. So, why not charge the same per unit to the ratepayer?

It cannot be stressed enough: If you do not want the proposed high water rates, be sure to vote yes on Measure P.

Ernie Head


Letters to the Editor

  • Recent Posts

  • Enter your email address to subscribe to this newspaper and receive notifications of new articles by email.

  • Special Publications »

    Use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service (updated 4/30/2015) and Privacy Policy (updated 4/7/2015).
    Copyright (c) 2016 McNaughton Newspapers, Inc., a family-owned local media company that proudly publishes the Daily Republic, Mountain Democrat, Davis Enterprise, Village Life and other community-driven publications.