Tuesday, September 16, 2014
YOLO COUNTY NEWS
99 CENTS

We can work together on this

By
From page A6 | April 12, 2013 |

Several recent letters and editorials have questioned our school district’s practice of sorting and labeling children from a very young age. Some have urged our educational leaders to look at the larger, schoolwide and districtwide impacts of our current “Gifted and Talented” program with its increasing number of strands occupying neighborhood schools across our town.

Others have asked for a closer examination of the rationale behind designating a sizable percent of Davis students as “gifted” learners who need a “different” learning environment from what their peers need. Still others have requested that our educators take a closer look at recent educational and brain research and best practices adopted by other school districts in Northern California.

Finally, some letter writers have asked that we consider the psychological impact on all of our children when 30 percent are labeled as “gifted” and the remaining 70 percent, by default, as “not gifted.”

Thankfully, our community discussion on GATE has recently broadened to include a wider spectrum of voices. While we as parents are often concerned first with advocating for our own children’s unique needs, I am confident that as we commit to truly hearing one another we will be able to work together to create a learning environment that brings out the best in all of our children.

Jill Van Zanten
Davis

Comments

comments

Letters to the Editor

.

News

 
School nurses stretched thin

By Jeff Hudson | From Page: A1 | Gallery

 
New DHS Hall-of-Famers

By Wayne Tilcock | From Page: A3

Exploration of dementia lecture set for Sept. 25

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

 
Sierra Club gathers for morning walks

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A3

DPNS has afternoon openings

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A3

 
Paws for Thought: Socialize your new pup at UCD’s Yappy Hour

By Evelyn Dale | From Page: A3 | Gallery

 
DHS parents go back to school

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A3

Sick-pay benefits expanded to millions

By San Francisco Chronicle | From Page: A4

 
Bad roads cost Californians billions

By The Associated Press | From Page: A4

Farmers market continues at Sutter Davis

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A4 | Gallery

 
Yolo County’s looking for a few good advisers

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A4

Search the Internet at Connections Café

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A5

 
Garage, bake sales benefit outdoor education trip

By Anne Ternus-Bellamy | From Page: A5

Sutter qigong classes start Sept. 22

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A5

 
Halloween costume sale benefits preschool

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A5

Hundreds flee wildfires; homes burn

By The Associated Press | From Page: A5 | Gallery

 
Harmony Award nominations sought

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A7

 
Da Vinci seniors take on Constitution essay

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A8

.

Forum

Maybe not the best rebound guy

By Creators Syndicate | From Page: B5

 
Carbon fee and dividend plan is the answer

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: A6

 
Nate Beeler cartoon

By Debbie Davis | From Page: A6

Many reasons to back Sunder

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A6

 
I support Madhavi Sunder

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A6

A leader with heart and vision

By Letters to the Editor | From Page: A6

 
.

Sports

More pressure on QB would be nice for Aggies

By Bruce Gallaudet | From Page: B1

 
Raber: glad to join in bringing readers golf column

By Special to The Enterprise | From Page: B1

Open Cup final has local flavor

By Evan Ream | From Page: B1

 
Devil volleyball victories keep piling up

By Enterprise staff | From Page: B1 | Gallery

DHS needs just 10 boys to top Elk Grove

By Evan Ream | From Page: B1 | Gallery

 
Finding the good in a tough DHS football loss

By Spencer Ault | From Page: B1

Highlights galore in Junior Blue Devil weekend

By Enterprise staff | From Page: B3 | Gallery

 
Sports briefs: Big Monday for Masiel as DHS golfer win league opener

By Enterprise staff | From Page: B8 | Gallery

.

Features

.

Arts

‘Jane Eyre’ to screen at I-House

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A11

 
‘Shrek, The Musical’ shines at DMTC

By Bev Sykes | From Page: A11 | Gallery

Anais Mitchell to play Third Space

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A11

 
Irish fiddlers come to Davis house show

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A11

Jenny Lynn and Her Real Gone Daddies play at Picnic in the Park

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A11 | Gallery

 
Woodland artist hosts event at her new studio

By Enterprise staff | From Page: A11

.

Business

.

Obituaries

.

Comics

Comics: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 (set 1)

By Creator | From Page: B5

 
Comics: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 (set 2)

By Creator | From Page: B7