By Margot Loschke
Senior Citizens of Davis Inc. is an all-volunteer 501(c)(3) nonprofit public benefit corporation. Its mission is to support the Davis Senior Center and its participants.
SCD partners with the city of Davis to identify those projects that will benefit the Davis Senior Center. SCD advocates on behalf of the Senior Center as well.
SCD has been in existence since 1972. It has had a long and rich history, raising funds to build the original Davis Senior Center, as well as support its activities over the years once it was constructed. SCD is a robust 660 members strong as of 2013, with a membership drive currently underway.
In order to sustain this valuable asset to the community, we are in urgent need of qualified volunteers willing to serve in the positions of SCD president, secretary and treasurer. The organization holds 90-minute meetings quarterly, with special meetings called only when necessary. The approximate time commitment for the office of president is on the average six to eight hours per week and much less for the other two offices.
Among the ongoing activities sponsored by SCD to support the Davis Senior Center are:
* An annual fundraiser, to carry out SCD’s mission and contribute to the SCD Endowment Fund;
* Weekly bingo at the Senior Center;
* Provision of financial support for Senior Center projects and services;
* Fiscal support for the Senior Center’s Information and Assistance Program; and
* Connections Cafe, a collaborative project between SCD and the city, teaching anyone of any age how to use technological devices. One-on-one tutoring by knowledgeable volunteers is provided. Brief seminars are given about once a month on different topics. Devices to use are provided.
If you are interested in running for office for the November election, please call the chair of the Nominating Committee at 530-757-5696 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
— Margot Loschke is the current president of the Senior Citizens of Davis Inc.