Keep our green waste piles

Green waste piles give me: * A sense of what is happening in nature, from a world more varied than my yard and bland greenbelts. * A chance to appreciate nature’s gifts and to use what others didn’t. To me, this use feels like honoring nature. Things I’ve taken: * Plant starts; * Food. Unripe […]

August 31, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Let’s sell the MRAP on eBay

Now that the Davis City Council has voted to get rid of the Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected tank-like vehicle that the Davis police just got, I urge that the MRAP be put up for sale on eBay! A friend tells me that lots of people and governments would want an MRAP. Timothy Bruening Davis

August 29, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Seeing both sides of ‘tank’

About the “tank” that the Davis Police Department has acquired: I believe I see both sides of the issue. There is a parallel to a family owning a gun. On the one hand, its purpose is to be used only in a dire emergency, like a home invasion. It is kept locked up in a safe, […]

What if we need MRAP?

There have been several letters in The Enterprise questioning what use could the Davis police have for a “tank-like” Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected vehicle given to the police. Here is one answer. It is contained in the California Supreme Court opinion filed Aug. 25, 2014, in the People v. Stanley Bryant, Donald Franklin Smith and Leroy Wheeler, […]

How could tank be helpful?

Supporters of the Davis Police Department’s acquisition of the MRAP cite the need for this tank in incidents involving gunfire, such as hostage situations and school active-shooter situations. No details are offered as to how a military tank could be helpful. Do the police plan to fire military-style bullets into the house or business where […]

Don’t sentence our police to death

By Jeff Neithercutt So many comments, so little time … I grew up here. I know we live in a wonderful little bubble where the outside world seldom intrudes. But we are an educated lot, and I am ashamed of what I am seeing our leaders doing this week. Calling an MRAP — a Mine-Resistant […]

August 29, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Lunch at the big table, again

Dear Annie: My boss insists that all of her employees eat lunch with her in the cafeteria every day. She really gets out of whack if we decide to use our “unpaid” time to do what we want. She says we aren’t team players if we don’t eat together. And for the most part, lunch […]

Will Davis see river water?

According to the Woodland-Davis Clean Water Agency, “The regional project will replace deteriorating groundwater supplies with safe, more reliable surface water supplies from the Sacramento River.” However, according to a release from the UC Davis Center for Watershed Sciences, a study published Aug. 19 states, “Center for Watershed Sciences colleagues Ted Grantham and Joshua Viers […]

Perfectly good playground?

I read somewhere the other day where one of our more affluent Davis residents was complaining about the city spending money to tear down a “perfectly good playground” in Central Park and replacing it with a more elaborate (and expensive) play structure. The writer obviously did not give a (expletive deleted) about the disabled kids […]

August 28, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Work on gun control instead

If the odds of Davis having a school active-shooter situation or a barricaded hostage confrontation are high enough to warrant us owning a Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected vehicle, doesn’t this mean it’s time for us to start working on gun control? From what I know of recent school shootings, by the time the MRAP would arrive at […]

Military has too much money

Last week’s news of the transfer of a Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected vehicle from the U.S. military to the Davis police force was rather upsetting. This is Davis, not ISIS ! When the military can give away 435 armored vehicles, 432 MRAPs, 94,000 machine guns and 533 airplanes, they clearly have way, way too much money. Mind […]

Put flowers in our hair

If the Department of Defense won’t take the monster non-tank back to send to some lucky country waging sectarian violence, how about bronzing it and parking it in the grassy area in front of Pluto’s? Students would be sure to see it there. We could name it “History Repeats.” We could sell flowers to stick […]

Give cops the ability to protect

Consider this side to the story. Davis is no longer isolated from the rest of the world. As reported in The Davis Enterprise during the past five to 10 years, there has been an increase in crimes — burglaries, attempted carjackings and assaults from out-of-town “guests” exiting Interstate 80. We know that we cannot pass legislation […]