If freshman year ends on a high note, what about Year 2?

Several things changed this year about a young man named Corbin Gomez. Among the most dramatic are his email style and his hair. I first met and interviewed Corbin when he was a high school senior. I interviewed him again after his first year at UC Davis and wrote about his freshman experience. Recently, I […]

August 24, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Fishing isn’t merely about catching fish, it’s about catching memories

“Did you really go fishing?” someone asked me recently, barely hiding her incredulity. Yes, I really did. I guess fishing just seems incongruous for a (presumably) stereotypical left-leaning liberal feminist who (allegedly) spends her time absorbing every word on the Huffington Post and snickering about Sarah Palin’s latest gaffe over a glass of white wine. […]

Empty plates in Yolo County

The issue: The number of locals going hungry shocked everyone 44,400. Fourty-four thousand, four hundred. That’s the number of people who get assistance every year from the Food Bank of Yolo County, according to Hunger in America 2014, a comprehensive study of hunger in the United States. LOCAL ACTIVISTS and agencies have sounded the alarm for years, […]

August 24, 2014 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

He could be a bartending rugby player …

Dear Annie: We need some serious advice about a family member who is driving the entire family insane. When “Billy” was a child, he was considered gifted, and everyone predicted he would accomplish unbelievable things. After six years of college, he has no degree and is only qualified to be a bartender or a rugby […]

Study: Combining vaccines boosts polio immunity

WASHINGTON (AP) — New research suggests a one-two punch could help battle polio in some of the world’s most remote and strife-torn regions: Giving a single vaccine shot to children who’ve already swallowed drops of an oral polio vaccine greatly boosted their immunity. The World Health Organization officials said the combination strategy already is starting […]

Weightlifters causing a racket

Dear Annie: Here’s my problem: 400-pound barbells dropped in my neighbor’s garage. The young couple who moved in next door describe themselves as “practicing athletes” and pursue this hobby every night for 45 minutes. Each drop of the barbells is deafening and jolts our home. I have talked to “the athletes,” and they don’t care. […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20500; 202-456-1111; fax: 202-456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/policycomments.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3841; fax: 202-228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me House of Representatives Rep. John Garamendi (3rd District), 2438 Rayburn […]

August 24, 2014 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Maureen Dowd: Alone again, naturally

WASHINGTON — Affectations can be dangerous, as Gertrude Stein said. When Barack Obama first ran for president, he theatrically cast himself as the man alone on the stage. From his address in Berlin to his acceptance speech in Chicago, he eschewed ornaments and other politicians, conveying the sense that he was above the grubby political […]

Our biology is our history

By Mark Rollins There are certainly many lessons to learn from history if you choose to pay attention. Historians and archaeologists are always around to teach us lessons from history and point out how we are repeating the same mistakes of the past, whether it is spreading diseases, starting wars, destabilizing governments, exploiting people or […]

New council is making real progress

This is the first installment of a monthly column I am calling “The Mayor’s Corner.” It will appear toward the end of each month and is intended to provide an update of what’s happening at the City Council and introduce any new policy initiatives. City Council update: Our new City Council was sworn in just a […]

Thanks for firearms info

The Yolo County Chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence would like to thank the Davis Unified School District for including information about safe storage of firearms on the district’s website. The memorandum to parents (in both English and Spanish) can be found at http://tinyurl.com/mcty9er. It outlines the basics of California law regarding […]

August 27, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Remember her real legacy

What happened to Elaine Greenberg broke my heart. Her legacy should be all the good she did over her lifetime and not that last few weeks where things went horribly off track due to circumstances beyond her control. I believe removing the dogs from Elaine’s care was the right thing to do. She could no […]

August 24, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

End our Sisyphean chores

Who has not, as a Davis bicyclist, dodged sharp yard-waste objects in the bike lane, or swerved into the traffic lane because yard waste has entirely taken over the bike lane? Alas, there is more to the story. I rake my leaves into neat piles on the street. The neighbors rake or blow their leaves, […]

August 24, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,