Just Us in Davis: Parallel play and race in America

By Jann Murray-García When I walked into a friend’s living room last week for an evening Bible study, the police lights and tension of Ferguson, Mo., played on her monitor. The room was quiet, as the collective attention was fixed on the screen. My dear friend whispered, “There is no indictment.” I immediately felt like someone had […]

November 30, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

The Mayor’s Corner: Give thanks for better budget news

We have much to be thankful for. Recently, the Davis City Council got some unexpected good budget news — we ended the 2013-14 fiscal year with nearly $850,000 in additional revenue. Like other communities, we were hit hard by the Great Recession, which resulted in cuts in city services, difficult concessions from our employees, and a […]

November 30, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Behavior straining friendship

Dear Annie: I have had a best friend for nearly 20 years. However, in the past six or seven years, “Gloria” has become very self-absorbed and selfish. She refuses to show any reciprocity for favors or kindnesses. She seems to have time only for doctors, workouts and different physical therapies. She says she wants others […]

Pay it forward for day of thanks

Dear Readers: Today is Thanksgiving. If you know someone who is alone today, please invite him or her to share your Thanksgiving dinner and help make the occasion truly special. Today we’d like to run a piece that has appeared in this space several times. It was written by Judy Vekasy, a registered nurse and […]

Many thanks for a great benefit

The Davis School Arts Foundation would like to thank the West Valley Chorus and its chairman, Tom Powers, for putting on the 26th annual Harmony in Our Lives Benefit Show. We so appreciate their continued and generous support of music and choral programs in Davis. Their tireless efforts benefit DSAF and allow us to further […]

November 28, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

It all started at the bookstore

As a fifth-grade teacher, I am frequently looking for good books to read aloud or suggest to my students. This past summer, I was browsing through The Avid Reader’s children’s selection and discovered on display a gem of a new novel, “The Luck Uglies,” by Paul Durham. I found an adventure story filled with imagination, […]

What can we do to help?

We have many homeless in Davis. I worry about one in particular, a meth-addicted young woman who grew up in our community and now lives on our streets. The problem is she is pregnant. I’ve spoken to our elected officials, our police and our homeless. There doesn’t seem to be a solution. She doesn’t want […]

What if we really need it?

I am not going to argue that the MRAP should not have been given away. Perhaps it was a good decision. But, in the unlikely event we have a situation like that bank robbery in Stockton recently, and if one or more of our local police get shot, I would hate to be one of […]

Tom Elias: Utilities look to soak small users

A strong spotlight shines these days on the state Public Utilities Commission as it gets set to rule on how much the state’s biggest utilities will have to pay for their sometimes-fatal blunders and how much consumers will be soaked for the negligence of utility executives. As much as $8 billion over the next decade […]

November 28, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Cheers and Jeers: Thankfully, no jeers

We offer our cheers and jeers for local newsmakers as we look back over the previous week. It’s Thanksgiving week, and we’re thankful there wasn’t much to jeer. CHEERS to Kim Eichorn and other local real estate agents, whose annual food drive collected 11,000 pounds of food and $8,182 for STEAC, the Short-Term Emergency Aid Committee. […]

November 28, 2014 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

She wants more from him

Dear Annie: My boyfriend, “Darrin,” and I have been seeing each other for five years. I love him and feel loved by him. He is affectionate and a great listener. I have grown children who are free to pop in and out of my house whenever they please. We also have many extended family get-togethers […]

Planting love at new home

Nancy and Paul Jacobs, who recently bought my home on A Street, generously allowed me to remove four treasured rose bushes from my former garden. Don Shor at Redwood Barn Nursery kindly offered to keep the roses for me until the bed at my new home is ready for planting. Thank you, Nancy, Paul and […]

November 26, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Innovation parks comparison

This reflects recent Enterprise pieces, logically linked. On Sunday, Nov. 16, Rob White, Davis’ chief innovation officer, wrote about Davis’ innovation business plans in technology and research, stating that we can’t know how many will come, but such growth is positive regionally. The second commentary (published Friday, Nov. 14), is cautionary, comparing Davis with Boulder, Colo., […]

November 26, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,