Shouldn’t we be thinking of a nuclear future?

In a romantic attempt to reduce the real threat of global warming, retail sellers of electricity in California will be required in five and a half years to more than double the share of power they get from renewable sources. Today, approximately 17.1 percent of in-state generation comes from biomass, geothermal, small hydro, wind and […]

June 25, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Now she’s trolling the 3-year-old

Dear Annie: I am the thrilled stepgrandmother of a wonderful grandson, age 3. I’ve had the privilege of taking care of him twice a week since he was born. I decided to post his pictures on Facebook because his extended family lives all over the country and appreciates the updates on his outings and activities. […]

Insisting on a church wedding

Dear Annie: I have several cousins who are celebrating weddings and baby showers this summer. Several of my aunts will not attend any of these events if they are not held in a Catholic Church. They say it is against their “rules.” One aunt sent a reply saying she would not attend the outdoor wedding […]

Republicans are wrong on economics

By Mark Rollins Washington Republicans have a sorry record of making economic predictions. They are consistently wrong but that does not stop them from making more wrong predictions. John Boehner in August of 2010 said that health care costs will skyrocket next year thanks to Obamacare, and in January of 2011 Paul Ryan said that […]

June 29, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Climate change and us

By Marvin Goldman The recent release of the governmental report on the fact that climate change is really affecting all of us now, and not some time in the future, is important and no doubt will become a partisan issue in upcoming elections. However, as a scientist who has been preaching that we need more education […]

June 25, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Is this really good stewardship of our resources?

By Xavier Tafoya Near beautiful rivers, close to the mountains and the sea, we have the luxury of living in one of the most beautiful areas in the world. I am pleased to live among so many residents in Yolo County who respect the environment. In many of our communities, some of us can leave […]

June 26, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Consider health in all policies

By Mark B. Horton What is “Health in All Policies” (HiAP) and what are its implications for public health practice and for policymakers in all sectors of the community? HiAP is simply the acknowledgement that virtually all policies, programs and services put in place that affect the community as a whole likely will have an […]

Tom Elias: Water rationing going wrong

As expected, it’s now summer and water rationing is upon California. Despite the heavy mid-February rains that briefly drenched Northern California and the respectable ensuing snowfall in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, drought remains. It may seem odd, but the opening compulsory rationing measures have come in Northern California, closer to the big rivers now carrying lower-than-usual […]

June 27, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Get off our lawn!

Dear Annie: My husband and I are middle-aged empty nesters. A few years ago, we sold our old place and built our dream home. The problem is, our neighbors have three young boys who can’t seem to stay out of our yard. We spent a fortune planting and landscaping, and they walk through our flower […]

Permanently protect the Berryessa Snow Mountain Region

By Don Saylor, Linda Seifert and Denise Rushing We urge President Obama to take steps to permanently protect the Berryessa Snow Mountain Region by declaring the area a national monument. Thanks to a recent designation by Obama, another piece of our country’s outdoor legacy will be preserved as the Organ Mountains-Desert Peaks National Monument in […]

June 26, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Be forewarned about homeowners associations

By Elaine Roberts Musser How many of you live in a homeowners association? It is estimated that in the year 2010, HOAs governed nearly 25 million American homes. What is an HOA? In California, it is a nonprofit public benefit corporation run by a board, composed of homeowners like you and me. An HOA governs […]

Let’s develop a smart road instead

The ongoing debate regarding the California High-Speed Rail Authority’s proposed fixed rail system, a 19th-century idea, by design, will burden all California taxpayers in perpetuity. The governor’s office has already guaranteed operational subsides that will cost the California taxpayer dearly. The now questionable federal support, the always litigious acquisition of rights of way, combined with […]

June 25, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Why are we back in Iraq?

Please, remind me of why we invaded Iraq in the first place. Was it to protect the oil or the people or what? Now why are we considering more involvement again; because of the oil? And please explain to me why the U.S. sells our oil to other countries while we buy oil from other […]

June 26, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Good guys can finish first

Not since the “Showtime” iteration of the Los Angeles Lakers team involving Magic Johnson, Kareem Jabbar, James Worthy, A.C. Green, Michael Cooper, Norm Nixon, “Silk” et. al., and the Houston Rockets with Hakeem “The Dream” Olajuwon and Clyde “The Glide” Drexler, have we seen such an amazing display of team basketball as that which we […]

June 26, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,