David Brooks: We need a plan that truly supports students

All college commencements are happy, but community college commencements are the happiest of all. Many of the graduates are the first in their extended family to have earned degrees. When their name is read, big cheering sections erupt with horns and roars from the stands. Many students are older; you’ll see 50- or 60-year-old women […]

January 28, 2015 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

It’s foggy? Turn on your headlights

Davis has many foggy mornings in the winter season, and every time we have one I see cars on the road with no lights on. Without lights, pedestrians and other drivers cannot see you in the fog until you are dangerously close. For safety’s sake, please use them! It’s not just a safety tip in […]

January 27, 2015 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Damage done to democracy

The following is a copy of a letter to Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.: Respectfully, the hypocrisy is astounding. Perhaps you think we aren’t paying attention, or aren’t intelligent enough to notice, but now you loudly protest that the recent congressional election has consequences and that the Republican win reflects the will of the people. When […]

January 27, 2015 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Move past the stereotypes

Muslim scholars distinguish two types of revelation in the Qu’ran: those Mohammed received at Mecca and those at Medina. The ones from Mecca are considered general truths that are applicable at all times; those from Medina are considered applicable only to the specific situation of Medina that was in the midst of a war. The […]

January 28, 2015 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Wife’s attitude costs her friends

Dear Annie: My wife has a good personality and makes friends easily. The problem is, she does not keep them. If someone rubs her wrong, she flares up in anger. If someone disagrees with her, she verbally abuses them. She also gets involved in everyone else’s personal affairs. When these negative things happen, the friends […]

A family was torn apart, but we survived

By Holly Jan Pierce The first 11 years of my life were wonderful. I had very attentive parents who were able to express their love, affection and joy for being my parents. When I was 12 years old, my father started having extramarital affairs and that devastated my mother. My father left us and my mother […]

January 27, 2015 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Locals will join march for climate change

On Saturday, Feb. 7, thousands of people are expected to take part in the March for Real Climate Leadership: Our Water, Our Health, Our California. The march, organized by a broad coalition of environmental groups across California, demands that Gov. Jerry Brown take real action against fracking. Californians Against Fracking, one of the event organizers, […]

January 27, 2015 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Taking turns as the halfway house

Dear Annie: I have three siblings. The youngest sister, “Jess,” has always had problems. At 13, she started taking drugs and running away from home. She spent five years in prison, and when she got out, my older sister offered to let Jess live with her so she could get a job and go to […]

Family isn’t keen on relationship

Dear Annie: I am a female resident physician. In medical school, I fell in love with “Jay,” a classmate. We have been together for four years. Jay is currently a resident physician in another state. Two years ago, I brought Jay home to meet my father and stepmother. Some of Jay’s favorite topics of discussion are […]

Are we there yet? If there’s no S-O-N in team, I’m not watching

Remember last summer’s World Cup fever? Most members of planet Earth were infected with it, as soccer fans materialized out of nowhere, many having never before exhibited even a tiny interest in sports. Now, all of a sudden they were throwing out terms like “headers,” “PKs” and “slide tackles.” As obnoxious as this seemed at […]

January 25, 2015 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

It’s time for some ‘Better Days’ for ALS patients

That Cathy Speck is a scamp. Aren’t sure if you know her? Then you don’t know her. Once you’ve met her, you’ll never forget her — she’s a one-woman circus on a walker, with all the bells and whistles. Seriously. There are bells and whistles. Also horns and stuffed animals. Carousels are more subtle. Which is […]

January 25, 2015 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

City helped immensely

Thursday afternoon, Jan. 15, Davis Diamonds Gymnastics was granted a temporary permit to occupy our new gymnasium at 2800 Cowell Blvd. from the city of Davis and, shortly afterward, more than 30 girls practiced bars, beam, vault and floor exercise there. The first day of regularly scheduled classes in the new gym was last Monday. The […]

January 25, 2015 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

We have the right to choose

I have been an advocate for disability rights and worked in the independent-living movement for a number of years. I also have Stage 4 inoperable stomach cancer and am facing terminal illness. Ed Roberts, the father of the Independent Living Philosophy, won access for all Americans with disabilities under the powerful notion that we all have […]

January 25, 2015 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,