When adherence to religion hurts

Dear Annie: I have several cousins who are celebrating weddings and baby showers this summer. Several of my aunts will not attend any of these events if they are not held in a Catholic Church. They say it is against their “rules.” One aunt sent a reply saying she would not attend the outdoor wedding […]

Senators prefer money over trust

There was a clear message when the state Senate in mid-June first rejected a ban on legislators taking campaign contributions during the last 100 days of each lawmaking session, and then partially reversed itself to finally pass a watered-down version covering a much shorter time period. That message: “We would rather have money than trust.” […]

June 19, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

A golden evening for UFC

University Farm Circle’s recent Centennial Golden Gala brought to a close a wonderful year, filled with special events, meetings, luncheons, programs and this final centennial celebration. We would like to thank everyone who helped create this event, especially our hard-working committee members: Yvonne Adcock, Janet Collins, Nancy Roe, Barbara Smith-Vaughn, Pat Stromberg, Carlene Ozonoff, Betty […]

June 20, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Compassion Tour is good to go

With an abundance of thanks and gratitude, we would like to acknowledge the kind contributions and donations that made the recent “Dinner for Compassion Tour” a success. Mary Philip and her volunteer crew cooked up yet another wonderful Indian meal for a good community cause. We thank Robb Davis for emceeing a lively program. Blues […]

June 19, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Stonewalling fair water rates?

By John Munn I had hoped to fade back into the woodwork after the City Council election, but I first sent my thoughts about water rate structures to council members and to the Utility Rates Advisory Committee so they might be considered in upcoming water rates discussions after voter approval of Measure P. This would […]

June 19, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Gone, and not getting it back

Dear Annie: My husband calls me the “Throwaway Queen.” I have gotten into hot water for not asking before I trashed something. Now I think I’ve made a huge mistake. My husband is now far into dementia. We are thinking of moving, so I started cleaning out storage bins. I threw away two items of […]

Farewell, League of Women Voters

The League of Women Voters has provided a community service to Davis for decades. The group has offered information, discussion groups and opportunities for various positions to be heard. We have been supporters as they have advanced free information for the voters. As times change, so do groups, so it was with sadness that we […]

June 18, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Rotary raffle raised $70,900

Another year proves to be another success for the annual Davis Rotary youth group raffle. Total monies raised came to $70,900 and the youth groups that participate get 100 percent of what they raised. A total of 30 local groups participated. There were six prizes and winners as follows: * Grand prize: A seven-night, eight-day […]

Don’t fear chromium-6

Currently, the city of Davis is concerned about trace amounts of hexavalent chromium naturally found here in our drinking well water. Although high levels of inhaled hexavalent chromium in the foundry and smelting industries can lead to lung cancer, in the naturally slightly acidic human stomach, hexavalent chromium is instantly converted to trivalent chromium, a […]

Mandatory isn’t necessary

If U.S. military service is voluntary, then the Affordable Care Act must be, too. If my decision to participate in the physical defense of the nation is voluntary, then the decision to participate in any personal health care plan must be mine as well. People know a good thing when they see it. If it […]

Wake up to climate change!

CO2 levels have increased 30 percent and methane levels 150 percent in the past 100 years. About 20 years ago I saw an episode of “Nova” on TV wherein they spoke about how scientists were predicting a global rise in average temperatures, and how this could affect the ocean currents, and how the repercussions from […]

Social workers need support, too

By Joan Sublett I’m sure you’ve read about children being murdered by their foster parents or even by their own parent or a mother’s boyfriend. But do you know much about the social workers who are responsible for these dependent and neglected children? These social workers are employed by Yolo County Child Protective Services. They […]

June 18, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Support a teen entrepreneur

My name is Benjamin Hoffner-Brodsky. I am a local 14-year-old with a passion for business. This summer I will be attending Camp BizSmart, a two-week business academy held over the summer at Stanford that offers a place for young entrepreneurs like myself to learn the tools of the trade to be successful in the business […]