Sit back, watch the spectacle

Let me get this straight. The University of California, which is run by a bunch of  Democrat/progressives, endorses raising tuition on the parents of a bunch of Democrat/progressive students. These hapless and ill-informed students are shocked to learn that governments don’t have unlimited resources and neither, apparently, do their parents, who are also a bunch […]

November 25, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Behavior reflects on coaches, parents

It is shameful for coaches when they witness violent attitudes from their players toward opposing players and referees. It reflects on the coaching staff, their methods and the principles that are used to instill sportsmanship among them. No excuses. The Davis High School boys soccer players showed no sportsmanship skills, no respect or discipline. This […]

November 25, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Wait, which one is Tom?

Dear Annie: In my circle of friends, there is a 23-year-old man with Asperger syndrome who drives me crazy. This guy has zero understanding of boundaries. He’ll argue, interrupt conversations and answer back to everyone, and he lectures incessantly. He once spent an evening interrupting every conversation I had until finally I said, “Joe, I’m […]

Tom Elias: Who needs a political party?

Neither devoted Republicans nor dedicated Democrats are happy about one obvious message of this month’s election: At least in California, there’s no need at all to choose or join a political party. This message came across in several ways. For one thing, the two Republican candidates for statewide office who refused to endorse their party’s […]

November 25, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Green beans aren’t the only ‘green’ this Thanksgiving

By Ilana Creinin This Thanksgiving, consider joining me in adding our planet to your list of things to be thankful for. Given all that the Earth provides for us (like the tasty food we’re about to enjoy), here are some ways you can make your Thanksgiving holiday more sustainable and give some appreciation back to […]

November 25, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

This is getting expensive

Dear Annie: My sister-in-law and I exchange babysitting for our young children. I have three under the age of 5, and she has two. It is mutually beneficial except for one thing: If the kids break something at her house, she demands that I pay for it. Recently this included getting her couch professionally cleaned […]

When the computer stares back

Dear Annie: Last week, I was watching a YouTube video, and suddenly a man’s face appeared on my screen. He was watching me. I immediately turned off my computer. Apparently, through apps or hacking into computer signals, people can watch you through your computer camera lens. I shared my story with friends and co-workers, and […]

How I want to be remembered

I’d like to leave some instructions to my children. In the past few weeks, we’ve heard a lot about self-chosen death, particularly the case of Brittany Maynard, a newlywed who suffered from aggressive, fatal brain cancer and decided to make her exit before things got too bad. She took her life on Nov. 1, legally, under […]

November 23, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

The power of ‘no’ will help patch up my personal boundaries

Several people have said they don’t understand why Leslie Pinkston’s murder affected me so much, given that although we worked under the same roof, we weren’t close by any means. We were mostly each other’s ambient noise at work. Her more than me. When Leslie was in the building, you knew she was in the building. […]

November 23, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

There’s only one way to fix this

Dear Annie: My sister, “Ellen,” bought my mother a car when Mom moved in with her. Ellen promised it would belong to Mom when she paid her back. Mom has made payments for three years. But she and Ellen had a fight, and not only did my sister kick Mom out of the house, but […]

Heartbroken over treatment of teacher

I feel dismayed reading the recent articles about John O’Brien, a science teacher at Harper Junior High and, formerly, at Holmes Junior High. Our son was his student at both of these schools. Mr. O’Brien, better known as OB, is accused of “improperly touching a 16-year-old boy over his clothing.” Aside from the person accusing him, […]

November 23, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Students barking up the wrong tree

The issue: Anger in Davis and San Francisco, but the problem is in Sacramento As the regents of the University of California considered, and then approved, a plan to increase tuition by 5 percent a year for five years, student protests hit not only the regents’ meetings themselves, but UC Davis and other campuses in the […]

November 23, 2014 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,