Accusations tear family down

Dear Annie: When my daughter was 14, she falsely accused me of physical abuse. She is now 33 and brings up these false charges whenever she is having difficult issues in her own life. She blames me for all of her problems. Even worse, my sister enables and promotes her negative view of me. I […]

Refrain from generalization

The Gaza war is really painful for many of us in United States and around the world. The loss of life, especially the innocent children, has its toll on many people, regardless of their culture, ethnic background or religion. I saw several letters to the editor and articles to justify the position of Israel or […]

July 29, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Gravel mining affects us all

Another off-channel mining excavation is being proposed to start in three to five years. More than 300 acres of prime productive agricultural land will be turned into a 280-acre gravel pit between County Roads 98 and 95. This could force the Moore Canal, a major irrigation canal, to be realigned and then reconnected past the mining area […]

July 30, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

It’s all the ecologists’ fault

Many conservatives, Republicans and Fox News watchers do not believe in global warming, or if they do, they deny that it is man-made. Many liberals, Democrats and tree-huggers think this is terrible. I will now convince the Fox News watchers that global warming is real and man-made: In the 1960s, the greenhouse gas, carbon dioxide, was […]

July 29, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Tom Elias: Ranchers coming around on global warming

The chorus of global warming deniers has not shrunk. Outcries claiming the entire issue is fraudulent are not going away. But realism is also slowly setting in among some California groups that long tried to wish away the issue by claiming any warming that’s happening is strictly a cyclical natural phenomenon. California ranchers are now […]

July 29, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Our own policies do us harm

By Vashek Cervinka No major enemy could have done greater harm to our country than our own national policies. An enemy of the United States certainly would attempt to damage our political system, economy, the structure of our society and our standing in the world. I believe domestic and foreign policies have caused damage to our country […]

July 29, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Feels like a million miles away

Dear Annie: Several months ago, my husband and I moved to the Ozarks after falling in love with the area. We left behind a lot of dear friends and the life we had known for 25 years, but we are quite happy here. The only sadness is my brother. He and his wife still live […]

Here’s what you need for a perfect wedding

Every wedding has to go wrong in order to go right. This is something I learned late — during my own wedding — when my husband stopped speaking, put his head in his hand, and stared at the ground. He had forgotten his best man’s name. He was in the process of introducing him as “my longtime roommate and […]

July 27, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Here’s the key to preventing sudden Facebook friendship death syndrome

Who doesn’t love a little magic? Today, I’ll share some with you — a magic word to make your life infinitely more pleasant, particularly on Facebook. That word is: Whatever. “Whatever” gives you permission to not react. It teaches you that you don’t have to treat any and every comment or post — online and off — like […]

July 27, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Husband’s let himself go

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been married for 10 years. We have no children. My biggest problem is his weight. He has put on a lot of poundage in the past several years and is definitely not the guy I married. I don’t claim to be a princess, but I stay pretty fit. […]

We can do more to help

Times are tough, folks! As to the homeless problem, be compassionate. Many folks are a paycheck away from being homeless! God always said to take care of the poor. We need a write-up of all the agencies where donations are gladly taken and do wonderful work: Grace in Action, STEAC, Davis Community Meals, Interfaith Rotating […]

July 27, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

New playground is wonderful

On the Fourth of July, I had the joy of walking alongside my daughter in the downtown parade and found myself walking through the brand-new playground in Central Park. I was tickled to see the hand pump of water that children can use, the long path the water travels and the water landing in a […]

July 27, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,