Can’t understand this change

Dear Annie: Eight months ago, our highly educated 43-year-old daughter informed my wife that she hates her. She put on a humiliating performance in front of her two children, a stepchild, her husband and us. We don’t understand this at all, but she now wants nothing to do with us. We do not deserve such […]

Support water bond in November

Voters need to support the water bond recently passed by the California Legislature and signed by Gov. Jerry Brown. No, it is not perfect, because there are still those who refuse to admit that building water storage is a common-sense approach to the water issues of this state. Without additional storage and less or no […]

August 20, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Relay for Life team says thanks

Thank you to everyone for all the support with the American Cancer Society’s 2014 Relay for Life earlier this month. The event raised more than $25,000 for the American Cancer Society. Thank you especially for the support to our team, Walk Around the Clock. With your support, team Walk Around the Clock raised more than $7,300! […]

August 20, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Delta-friendly water bond is a win for all of California

By Lois Wolk Two years ago, I introduced a measure to replace the doomed, pork-laden water bond from 2009 with a trim, focused and noncontroversial bond that could win voter support and address California’s critical water needs, without threatening the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta region by funding the Bay Delta Conservation Plan or the delta tunnels. […]

August 20, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Bravo! The road diet works

It shouldn’t have come as a surprise. I knew in the back of my mind that the Fifth Street road diet was due to be implemented this summer. But when I finally drove its length, from east to west, I was startled on a couple of fronts. I had just done a little shopping at […]

August 20, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Is government corruption rampant?

To some, it seems almost as if California has lately become New Jersey West. Incidents of possible corruption and conflict of interest are seemingly exposed at least once a month these days, with almost no consequences for anyone involved. Some examples: * Last month, the Los Angeles Times revealed that the president of the state’s stem […]

August 19, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

He’s seeing … something

Dear Annie: My 5-year-old son has been claiming to see the paranormal. I’m sure part of it is just his imagination. But sometimes he describes in great detail people and even pets who have died. He mainly claims to see a cousin he never met, but whom he can describe accurately. Sometimes, he will sit […]

Another disease: ‘Israelitis’

On Aug. 7, David Siegel, M.D., published an article in The Davis Enterprise about the Middle East. By labeling interpretations and views differing from his own as “a mental disorder,” he provides a perfect example of “the pot calling the kettle black.” In contrast, many Israelis and North Americans have over the decades contracted an […]

August 19, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

An appeal for warm street lights

I live on Oyster Bay Avenue, ground zero for the city’s romance with LED street lights. I am glad the City Council paused the progress on this good idea done badly. City staff presented the street-light retrofit project in the spirit of “what’s not to like” — reduce energy use, save money and increase nighttime […]

August 19, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

The best years of our lives

By Bob Schultz On Aug. 8, there was an inspiring account in The Enterprise of six Davis High School graduates who have graduated from U.S. military academies. We can all be proud of the hard work that allowed these students to complete these prestigious programs. However, I have to take issue with the very first sentence. It […]

August 19, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

It’s her way or nothing

Dear Annie: My husband and I recently purchased a new home. It took us a while to reach this point. In the course of trying to purchase, we were offered help by a good friend, “Mary,” who lives 1,500 miles away. Mary referred us to her mortgage lender, also 1,500 miles away. We engaged the […]

She keeps playing these games

Dear Annie: My husband and I used to be close to my mother-in-law. We took trips together and enjoyed one another’s company. But since our oldest child was born, things have changed. Even though she has an open invitation, Mom rarely comes around. She often won’t return phone calls or respond to emails and texts. […]