Senior kitty needs a home

Sweetie is a lovely black female cat. She is an example of a cat that might have been euthanized in years past at a shelter but the fact that she is on the adoption floor illustrates the life-affirming philosophy of the Yolo County Animal Shelter that there is a home for almost every animal. Sweetie […]

November 20, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

David Brooks: Obama in winter

They say failure can be a good teacher, but, so far, the Obama administration is opting out of the course. The post-midterm period has been one of the most bizarre of the Obama presidency. President Barack Obama has racked up some impressive foreign-policy accomplishments, but, domestically and politically, things are off the rails. Usually, presidents […]

November 20, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Caregivers overlook a valuable ally

Get help locally What: Yolo Hospice, which has been serving patients in Yolo, Solano, Sacramento, Colusa and Sutter counties for more than 30 years Where: 1909 Galileo Court, Suite A, Davis; 530-758-5566; Info: A caregivers blog at By Amy Tucci The recent death of Tom Magliozzi, co-host of NPR’s popular show “Car Talk,” […]

November 20, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

So, what is a sociopath?

Dear Annie: You recently printed a letter from a woman who asked whether her biological daughter could be a sociopath. Could you please list the characteristics of a sociopath in your column? Our adult daughter is involved with someone we feel is not good for her. She seems to be oblivious to what is going […]

November 19, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

A community gathering place is gone

It was with great sadness that we learned Mocha Joe’s in South Davis is scheduled to be closed and the property redeveloped. Since 1996, Mocha Joe’s has been a favorite place for patrons — new visitors and regulars — to enjoy coffee/tea, good food and conversation. The owners, Jason and Sofia Te, worked hard to provide the […]

Arnold’s awful real estate deal haunts state

When producers named a post-apocalyptic television series “The Walking Dead,” they probably had no idea that title also would come to describe one of the worst moves Arnold Schwarzenegger made in his seven years as California’s most amateurish governor ever. That was his deal to sell 11 choice state office buildings to private investors for […]

Depressed son worries mother

Dear Annie: My son is 25 years old with a college degree and an excellent job. The sad thing is, he is depressed. He won’t go for treatment. He goes to work, comes home and sits in front of his computer. I have spoken to professionals myself, but they all say the same thing: He […]

Dixon’s visions of grandeur fueled con artist’s scam

By Bil Paul After the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Sacramento announced its charges against Carissa Carpenter — the self-styled movie studio exec who last popped up in Dixon — many finally had their curiosity assuaged. As the author of a book covering her episode in Dixon, I’ve heard the following questions most often: “Where is she now?” and […]

November 18, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Executive order is an abuse

Snow Mountain was declared a wilderness by the Wilderness Act passed by the U.S. Congress in 1984. Let it remain the way it was intended — a wilderness! Snow Mountain is already protected under the 1984 act. The environmental groups, specifically Tuleyome and those wanting to put Snow Mountain under more control, want to make […]

November 18, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

They’re ‘family of the heart’

My family and I lived in South Davis for 33 years. I remember going into Mocha Joe’s after Sophia and Jason Te took ownership. I remember seeing their beautiful daughter, Susan, and watching them care for her. We watched her grow up and saw that the tender loving care that Sophia and Jason gave Susan, […]

Right-turn pockets are necessary

The City Council has it absolutely backwards as to what is safe in its plans to remove the right-turn pockets at the Pole Line and Covell intersection in particular, and for other streets crossing Covell in general. The right-turn pocket alerts a bike rider or pedestrian to look and see if there is a motor vehicle […]

Please donate to Toys for Tots

The holidays are coming soon, so that means the Marines have been out and about placing their collection barrels and boxes for Toys for Tots at various places in Davis. The Marine Corps League of Yolo County collects and distributes the donated toys to unfortunate children of Yolo County each year on the Saturday before […]