Carbon fee and dividend plan is the answer

By Elisabeth Robbins On Sunday, Sept. 21, thousands of Americans will use the power of mass protest in New York and cities around the nation, including Davis. The People’s Climate March is a call for action as the United Nations Climate Summit meets to plan COP15, the global warming treaty conference to be held next […]

September 16, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

If not six Californias, how about a sovereign one?

Two years from now, Californians will not only be thinking about electing a U.S. senator, 53 members of Congress and a president, but most likely also about the possibility of carving up their state into six new ones. The ballot initiative to do this is the brainchild of billionaire venture capitalist Tim Draper, who observes […]

September 16, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20500; 202-456-1111; fax: 202-456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/policycomments.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3841; fax: 202-228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me House of Representatives Rep. John Garamendi (3rd District), 2438 Rayburn […]

September 14, 2014 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Archer has worked hard for us

Please join me in voting for Barbara Archer for school board. I have looked at the qualifications of all the candidates and Barbara stands head and shoulders above the rest. Barbara’s service to the Davis school district started more than a decade ago when she was a classroom and library volunteer. Over the past 10 years, her […]

September 14, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Is history repeating itself?

With a willingness to participate in our political process, and tremendous citizen effort, an initiative to counter the influence of Citizens United qualified for the California ballot. Opposition has removed it from the ballot. Have we circled back to the time of the Boston tea party and taxation without representation? Claudette Cervinka Davis

Time for a progressive PD

Now that the MRAP “crisis” is behind us, I think it is time to propose much-needed changes to our Police Department. I propose that from here on out, all Davis police will ride bikes on patrol. Motorized vehicles can be a weapon and are menacing and dangerous. The bikes also will have tassels on the handlebars […]

A bad vote for our water

Tom Elias’ recent column on groundwater underscores why we should be doing everything we can to protect fresh water in California. In this time of drought, we simply cannot afford to waste water by polluting it. Unfortunately, it seems that Congress, including Rep. John Garamendi, is doing everything it can to put our resources in jeopardy. […]

Sierra Club Yolano Group opposes current proposals for Paso Fino development

By Alan Pryor and Pam Nieberg Several proposals for the development of the old Haussler homestead off of east Covell Boulevard recently have been brought forward by Taormino and Associates. Dubbed the Paso Fino development, the proposal currently in line to go to the City Council for consideration would place eight residential units and four […]

September 14, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Davis has options on innovation

The issue: Davis has multiple opportunities to move forward It seems that Davis is spoiled for choice when it comes to “innovation parks.” No fewer than three developers have floated proposals to build a multi-acre campus where high-tech businesses, fed from the UC Davis brain trust, can grow and prosper. Two of the development groups have gotten as far […]

September 14, 2014 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Preventing RSV infections in our kids

By Jeff Ribordy As we head into fall and eventually winter, children may once again be exposed to many cold viruses. One of the worst is called respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV for short. For most of us big people, and even for big kids, if we catch RSV we get nothing more than a […]

Is it already too late

Dear Annie: I am a 21-year-old college student. I have found someone I am really close to and would love to have a relationship with. The problem is, she is already in a relationship with someone else. We worked together for two years and became best friends. Unfortunately, she left the job to focus on […]