Get going on fixing the deck

Since my last published letter, pertaining to fixing the deck at Central Park, home to the Davis Farmers Market, several people have offered suggestions, and have urged me to goose the powers that be, by writing another letter. These friendly roustabouts have assured me that they can fix the deck in half a day. They […]

October 12, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Remembering Don Ranstrom

A remembrance for the late Don Ranstrom will be held at International House, Davis, 10 College Park, on Saturday, Oct. 18, from 3 to 5 p.m. and all those who knew Don are invited to attend. As the Lutheran campus minister, Don was a member of the original committee in 1978 that laid plans for […]

October 12, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Emergency medical services we can be proud of

By Kristin Weivoda Have you ever needed an ambulance in Yolo County? Or ever wondered how the county’s emergency medical services program works? EMS is a type of emergency service dedicated to providing out-of-hospital acute medical care, transport to definitive care and other medical transport of patients with illnesses or injuries that prevent the patient from […]

October 12, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Stress of unmanageable workload, not the pay, drives school nurses out

By Lisa Musser (with Anna Sutton and Teresa Simi) ​Thank you, Jeff Hudson, for writing the article about school nurses in Davis, which may start a discussion about health services in our school district. I am one of the nurses who resigned this year. The article puts the blame on the pay scale, but I have […]

Why we represented Davis organizations at the People’s Climate March

By Kristin Heinemeier My son — Holmes Junior High School student Peter Holderbein — and I have only two heads between us, but on Sept. 21, we were wearing many hats, as we participated in the People’s Climate March in New York City. We carried the flag for Cool Davis at the march, “boots on […]

Let the teens sleep!

By Jeff Ribordy For those of us who currently have or have raised teenagers, it is not surprising that studies have shown U.S. teens to be chronically sleep deprived. A National Sleep Foundation poll found 59 pecent of middle-schoolers and 87 percent (!) of high-schoolers were not getting the recommended 8.5-9.5 hours of sleep per night. The average was […]

Next-door kennel irks neighbors

Dear Annie: My next-door neighbors are breeding and selling dogs illegally. Sometimes they have as many as 18 dogs in the house. The problem is having to put up with all that barking, and even worse, the smell permeates our driveway, porch and yard. It is disgusting. We are retired and have a beautiful home. […]

October 10, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Garamendi understands farming

I am a Winters voter where my husband and I have raised walnuts for the past 25 years. During that time, we’ve seen a good number of changes in the protocols and practices applied. This is one of the many reasons why I support the reelection of Congressman John Garamendi. He knows first-hand the implications […]

October 10, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Vote no on Prop. 47

Proposition 47 is dangerous for all of California. If passed, the new law will dramatically decrease the punishment for possession of date-rape drugs and the theft of most guns from felonies to mere misdemeanors in almost all cases. These are just two of the reasons that the vast majority of police chiefs, sheriffs and district […]

Archer, Sunder get my votes

I am writing today to express my support for school board candidates Barbara Archer and Madhavi Sunder. The Davis school system plays a central role in our community and is a major reason that many people choose to live here. It is important that we continue to support our school system and that we elect […]

Bob Poppenga is refreshing

The more I’ve gotten to know Bob Poppenga, the more excited I’ve become over the prospect of having him on the Davis school board. Bob is smart and brings a nuanced understanding to traditional educational issues that avoids run-of-the-mill, canned policy discussion. And he has a compelling vision for advancing our schools by engaging in […]

Archer has qualities we need

There are many excellent candidates for Davis school board this election, but one that I hope you’ll consider among your choices is Barbara Archer. Archer was co-chair of the Measure C school parcel tax election in 2012. As a leader, she demonstrated the ability to communicate dry and often complex particulars of school financing to […]

She’s who we want on board

I am writing In support of Davis school board candidate Madhavi Sunder. An influential legal scholar, Madhavi is committed to social justice. She understands that quality public schools are the basis for equality of opportunity for all. Madhavi has two children in the Davis public schools. She has long been involved in the schools, including […]

Why we support Sunder

As it normally occurs with new parents living in the Bay Area, my wife and I reached the point where we knew that we needed to find an ideal place to raise our young family. We choose Davis mainly because of the excellent education for which this community is known. We had the privilege to […]