Daughter needs to lose weight

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been married for 30 years. We have four wonderful children, all college graduates with great jobs in their chosen careers. They are also involved in long-term relationships with people we like and respect. So what’s the problem? One of my daughters is at least 40 pounds overweight and […]

Conundrums about commencement

Dear Annie: “A Graduate’s Mom” should lighten up about decorum at graduation ceremonies. I am a professor at a large university, and I participate in graduation every year. The faculty and administrators provide the necessary pomp and circumstance. But these young people have worked hard for four years and deserve to celebrate. I am proud […]

There’s no hypocrisy here

The guest opinion piece in Sunday’s Enterprise by Susan Abulhawa is a wonderful example of the use of journalistic free speech regardless of the accuracy in the publication. My wife and I just returned from Israel. We were there when the Israeli teens were kidnapped and when their bodies were found. The Palestinians cheered the […]

July 20, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Thanks to all concert sponsors

In addition to the listed sponsors of the Davis Brass Ensemble concert to benefit Rotary’s Polio Plus program to eradicate polio worldwide, three sponsors were inadvertently omitted: University Retirement Community, John Lescroart and Watermelon Music. Valley Artist Productions Inc. apologizes for this oversight. The Davis Brass Ensemble will perform a varied program of brass classics at […]

There is little hope for peace

The most appalling aspect, among many horrific comments, of the commentary in the July 13 Enterprise, “Taking Aim …” is the rationalization and even justification of the murder of three Israeli teenagers by Hamas terrorists. Unlike the 16-year-old Palestinian, Mohammed Abu Khudair, murdered by Israeli terrorists, who Mikos Fabersunne refers to by name, Fabersunne refers to the […]

Shame on the Palestinians

Indiscriminate rocket firing by armed groups from Gaza has targeted Israeli population centers to terrorize and kill innocent civilians. Of course, Israel must take action to protect its citizens. But prior to defensive responses against Gaza military targets that launch rockets, Israel informs Palestinian civilians in the area. By means of this unprecedented humanitarian gesture, […]

July 22, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Conversation, not condemnation

There has been a significant amount of rhetoric and propaganda circulating in Davis recently regarding the conflict between Israel and Hamas. As an American with Jewish heritage, I don’t pretend to understand this vastly complicated issue. Whatever your stance on the issue, however, I would implore my Davis neighbors to remember that we as a […]

My Freedom Summer nightmare

In the style of a jazz musician’s solo that repeats a phrase over and over in a slightly different key until it builds to a climax, Martin Luther King, in his last sermon in Memphis, repeated the phrase “If I had sneezed …” until he built to a climax. A deranged woman had plunged a knife […]

July 20, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

What’s the big whoop about whooping cough?

By Constance Caldwell, M.D. You have probably heard on the news that we are in the midst of a pertussis (whooping cough) epidemic in California. We already have seen more than 5,400 cases of pertussis in California this year as compared to a total of 2,372 cases in all of 2013. In Yolo County, we […]

On the ground in Israel, praying for peace

One hardly knows where to begin to respond to Susan Abulhawa’s outrageous hit piece on Israel, “The Searing Hypocrisy of the West,” prefaced by Mikos Fabersunne, which appeared in The Enterprise on July 13. The fact that it was printed at the very moment when Palestinian terror groups led by Hamas are committing some of […]

Saving water in California

The issue: The state must focus on longer-term policies that encourage people to alter their lifestyles and businesses to change how they operate California is in the third year of its worst drought in decades. But you wouldn’t know it by looking at how much water the state’s residents and businesses are using. According to […]

July 20, 2014 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Don’t just sit there

By Michael Vovakes, MD We know exercise is good, but did you know that even if you exercise, sitting too much can be bad for your health? A recent study of over 2,200 adults ages 60 and older shows that every extra hour of sitting during the day increased one’s risk of becoming disabled. This […]

Where there’s smoke, there’s fury

Dear Annie: I am a nonsmoker who has asthma and early heart disease. When I am at family events and outdoor concerts or entering stores and public places, I often find myself exposed to secondhand smoke from cigarettes and cigars. Even though I make every attempt to avoid this smoke, it is sometimes impossible. This […]