Archer, Sunder get my votes

I am writing today to express my support for school board candidates Barbara Archer and Madhavi Sunder. The Davis school system plays a central role in our community and is a major reason that many people choose to live here. It is important that we continue to support our school system and that we elect […]

October 10, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Bob Poppenga is refreshing

The more I’ve gotten to know Bob Poppenga, the more excited I’ve become over the prospect of having him on the Davis school board. Bob is smart and brings a nuanced understanding to traditional educational issues that avoids run-of-the-mill, canned policy discussion. And he has a compelling vision for advancing our schools by engaging in […]

Archer has qualities we need

There are many excellent candidates for Davis school board this election, but one that I hope you’ll consider among your choices is Barbara Archer. Archer was co-chair of the Measure C school parcel tax election in 2012. As a leader, she demonstrated the ability to communicate dry and often complex particulars of school financing to […]

She’s who we want on board

I am writing In support of Davis school board candidate Madhavi Sunder. An influential legal scholar, Madhavi is committed to social justice. She understands that quality public schools are the basis for equality of opportunity for all. Madhavi has two children in the Davis public schools. She has long been involved in the schools, including […]

Why we support Sunder

As it normally occurs with new parents living in the Bay Area, my wife and I reached the point where we knew that we needed to find an ideal place to raise our young family. We choose Davis mainly because of the excellent education for which this community is known. We had the privilege to […]

Archer listens and analyzes

I met and became friends with Barbara Archer 14 years ago. She has become my trusted and reliable information source whenever I have questions about Davis school issues. I have lived in Davis for 44 years (my children attended Davis schools) and my interest in the school system has remained strong. Barbara has reinforced my […]

Cheers and Jeers: Make yourself seen on the road

We offer our cheers and jeers for local newsmakers as we look back over the previous week: JEERS to those cyclists — most of whom are new to Davis — who insist on riding at night without a light. As we said last week, now’s the the time of year when thousands of new UC […]

October 10, 2014 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

She keeps taking what they give her

Dear Annie: An acquaintance of mine (I’ll call her “Minnie”) drops by our home once a week and stays for several hours. If we offer her a beer, she protests a little bit, but then says, “Well, OK,” and then asks what kind of wine or liquor we have. She somehow makes it seem as […]

Poppenga has what we need

Robert Poppenga is running for a spot on the Davis school board ( I’m not sure where he finds the time, but I am delighted to see that he is making this effort. He has the qualities the school board and our school system needs — he is committed to excellence in education, to closing the […]

October 09, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Archer votes for the greater good

I am writing to voice my strong support for Barbara Archer in the school board election race. As a longtime Davis resident with three children raised in a variety of Davis school programs (from traditional to GATE to Da Vinci), I can’t think of a candidate more balanced, fair and objective than Barbara. Barbara has […]

Sunder inspires those around her

What has impressed me most about Madhavi Sunder is her ability to organize a coalition. Whether it is to name a local elementary school or run for school board, her ability to draw on hundreds of people from every imaginable walk of life is inspiring. I and many of the people on her campaign team […]

Poppenga’s positive, diplomatic

I have had the privilege to work with Bob Poppenga for approximately 10 years. Although he has a low-key approach to managing the people he supervises, his approach is very effective. He believes in listening to all opinions and that good ideas come from many sources. He knows it is important to communicate clearly and to […]