Google, tell me. Is my son a genius?

By Seth Stephens-Davidowitz More than a decade into the 21st century, we would like to think that American parents have similar standards and similar dreams for their sons and daughters. But my study of anonymous, aggregate data from Google searches suggests that contemporary American parents are far more likely to want their boys smart and […]

November 23, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Cordial political discourse: Seven years later, the thoughts resonate

By David Purkey Barry Garrison died much too young. When he did, I felt compelled to write letter to The Enterprise, not something I was prone to do, but which Barry did regularly. The letter, published in June 2007, read: “When my daughter told me that Barry Garrison had died, it saddened me a great […]

Easing the stress during college application season

By H.C. Cuevas November is upon us and we’re deep into the college application season. It’s an annual ritual for high school students who are excited about the prospect of moving on to college of their choice, newfound independence and a host of new ventures awaiting them, yet it is also a period that students and parents alike […]

Watch out for holiday weight gain

By Richard Fleming, M.D. Though it seems hard to believe, winter is a few weeks away. Some animals put on a lot of weight in the fall so they can hibernate through the winter months. Bears can add on as much as 100 pounds to get ready for cold weather. Other animals can increase their […]

Nowhere to go, nothing to do

Dear Annie: Two years ago, at the age of 62, I was forced to take early retirement from my teaching job. My pension is miniscule, and despite trying to find full-time work, I have only been able to string together part-time jobs. I have been divorced for 20 years, so there is no one else […]

Council misses an opportunity

The Davis City Council missed its moment and missed an opportunity — a simple vote for no parking on B Street between Fifth and 14th streets in support and sponsorship of bicycling. No, the council chose to “kick the can down the road.” Call it mediation or call it a moderated forum, it still amounts to […]

November 21, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Together we can do so much

The Davis real estate community — made up of Realtors, bankers, lenders, inspectors and service professionals — is pleased to sponsor a food drive for STEAC this Saturday, Nov. 22. Davis residents are asked to place donations of nonperishable food items in a plastic bag at the edge of their driveway or at their mailbox hub by […]

Davis voices concerns over new oil-by-rail proposal

By Elizabeth Lasensky, Carol Warren and Lynne Nittler Uprail residents have until Monday at 4:30 p.m. to send comments on the Phillips 66 Rail Spur Extension Project at the Santa Maria refinery in San Luis Obispo County. Letters may be sent to Murry Wilson at [email protected] Those who wish to write their own letter may email […]

November 21, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Cheers and Jeers: Katehi front and center

We offer our cheers and jeers for local newsmakers as we look back over the previous week: CHEERS to UC Davis Chancellor Linda Katehi, who — along with Adela de la Torre, vice chancellor for student affairs, and Provost Ralph Hexter — made herself available to students protesting imminent increases to tuition in the University of California system. The systemwide protests landed […]

November 21, 2014 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Have you read this book?

The other night at the Mondavi Center, David Sedaris enthusiastically recommended to a packed house Ann Patchett’s collection of essays, “This is the Story of a Happy Marriage.” Like the neighbor with a bounty of zucchini, I am guilty of button-holing friends (and strangers suspected of reading), imploring them to read this book as well […]

We urge a ‘no’ vote on BDS

The Enterprise recently reported that a union at UC Davis will be voting on joining the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement against Israel. The undersigned members of J Street Davis urge a “no” vote. J Street is the political home of pro-Israel, pro-peace Americans ( J Street is opposed to the global BDS movement […]

November 20, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,