Bicyclists should avoid Fifth

The letter by D. Chase printed on Sunday described many problems for bicyclists with the new Fifth Street configuration. Fifth Street is a major vehicular artery. As before, bicyclists probably should avoid Fifth Street in downtown Davis. Otto G. Raabe Davis

September 09, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Teacher supports Common Core

This is in response to a letter to the editor on Friday, Sept. 5. I am a junior high school teacher and am initiating Common Core standards (not curriculum) into my content curriculum. Common Core is a set of standards that are directed at improving student understanding of the content being taught. If you were […]

I support Madhavi Sunder

I have known Madhavi Sunder for more than 15 years, since we worked together on a faculty committee at UC Davis. As a colleague she was always professional, extremely generous with her time and well informed in her opinions. She has shown herself to be skilled in listening to competing sides of a question, and […]

September 16, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Downtown can keep on twinkling

I was walking downtown Friday night with some friends and noticed how beautiful and inviting our city looks from all the trees sparkling with lights. In Sunday’s Enterprise I learned about the labor and challenges of keeping them lit. Thanks to the volunteer efforts of two men, Bob Bowen and Steve Wilkinson, we get to […]

Husband keeps her off her meds

Dear Annie: My daughter, “Nina,” suffers from depression. Recently, I went to Seattle to help Nina and her husband move to Texas. It was our family’s hope that I could get her to come back east with me to get her mental health issues straightened out. Nina was diagnosed with depression when she was in […]

A boxful of others’ memories

Dear Annie: When my mother died, my two siblings and I inherited 24 large boxes of photographs. These include pictures Mom inherited from her parents and grandparents. Many are of distant relatives and acquaintances we do not recognize. They also include hundreds of travel photographs, which I am sure brought back fond memories to my […]

Are we there yet? New spot, new mug shot, new job

Hello Sunday columns-page readers! I’m excited to be here, now sharing this spot with Marion Franck, as she transitions toward more time traveling to see family around the country. I also have a new mug shot, too, … the old one was too wintry-looking with the neck scarf. The biggest “new” of all, though, is […]

September 07, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Squeaky wheels rejoice — we can keep our email

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, but lots of squeaky wheels get greased faster. Cal.net customers! We won! We can keep our email! The astounding news came via phone call recently from Cal.net’s sales manager, Mark Kerr. I was expecting a “Jane, you ignorant slut” assault, but no — Kerr was almost jolly as he informed […]

September 07, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Everyone but Dad is OK with it

Dear Annie: I am a 23-year-old man who has just come out of the closet publicly. I received so much love and support from friends and family. It feels amazing to be out in the open, never having to worry about someone finding out that I am gay. The sad part, however, is that my […]

Enroll in elementary music program

This week, elementary parents of fourth-, fifth- and sixth-graders can enroll their child in the school elementary music program. All that is required is that first-year students and parents attend one of the parent meetings. For string players, those meetings are held at Patwin Elementary, 2222 Shasta Drive, at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, and at Korematsu […]

A leader with heart and vision

Madhavi Sunder is the best candidate for the Davis Board of Education, in my opinion, among a field of excellent choices. I refer you, for only one example, to her article in the Davis Vanguard about technology in schools, of special importance to me, personally. She demonstrates the depth and breadth of her understanding of […]

September 16, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

OK, we have germs, but they’re *our* germs

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sorry, clean freaks. No matter how well you scrub your home, it’s covered in bacteria from your own body. And if you pack up and move, new research shows, you’ll rapidly transfer your unique microbial fingerprint to the doorknobs, countertops and floors in your new house, too. In fact, researchers who studied […]

When compassion backfires

Dear Annie: My cousin is 53 years old and is in and out of jobs. He has no place to go and parked his van on my property on the condition that he stay no more than five months. He asked for permission to use my laundry equipment and electricity. But he’s already stayed 10 […]

Heartfelt thanks to Gretchen Peralta

Members of the board, the staff and the boys at Progress Ranch Residential Home for Boys wish to acknowledge Gretchen Peralta for her many contributions while serving on our board of directors since 2007. We are sorry to see her go, but we rest assured knowing that her service to our community will continue. Thank […]

September 07, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,