Everyone but Dad is OK with it

Dear Annie: I am a 23-year-old man who has just come out of the closet publicly. I received so much love and support from friends and family. It feels amazing to be out in the open, never having to worry about someone finding out that I am gay. The sad part, however, is that my […]

Enroll in elementary music program

This week, elementary parents of fourth-, fifth- and sixth-graders can enroll their child in the school elementary music program. All that is required is that first-year students and parents attend one of the parent meetings. For string players, those meetings are held at Patwin Elementary, 2222 Shasta Drive, at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, and at Korematsu […]

September 09, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

A leader with heart and vision

Madhavi Sunder is the best candidate for the Davis Board of Education, in my opinion, among a field of excellent choices. I refer you, for only one example, to her article in the Davis Vanguard about technology in schools, of special importance to me, personally. She demonstrates the depth and breadth of her understanding of […]

September 16, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

OK, we have germs, but they’re *our* germs

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sorry, clean freaks. No matter how well you scrub your home, it’s covered in bacteria from your own body. And if you pack up and move, new research shows, you’ll rapidly transfer your unique microbial fingerprint to the doorknobs, countertops and floors in your new house, too. In fact, researchers who studied […]

When compassion backfires

Dear Annie: My cousin is 53 years old and is in and out of jobs. He has no place to go and parked his van on my property on the condition that he stay no more than five months. He asked for permission to use my laundry equipment and electricity. But he’s already stayed 10 […]

Heartfelt thanks to Gretchen Peralta

Members of the board, the staff and the boys at Progress Ranch Residential Home for Boys wish to acknowledge Gretchen Peralta for her many contributions while serving on our board of directors since 2007. We are sorry to see her go, but we rest assured knowing that her service to our community will continue. Thank […]

September 07, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Bicyclist has Fifth Street questions

A couple of questions about the new configuration on Fifth Street, all from a bicyclist’s point of view: I am westbound on Fifth Street and I want to make a left turn to southbound B Street at 5:30 a.m. on a Monday. The light will not turn green. I wait three minutes and not one light […]

Don’t facilitate a bad decision

Send it back! The main reason to dispose of the Davis Police Department’s “tank” has not so much to do with Landy Black, the police chief, or the specific members of the Police Department. It has mostly to do with the fact that members of the department, leadership and “foot soldiers” are human beings. Even […]

Thomas Friedman: Ready, aim fire. Not fire, ready, aim.

President Barack Obama has been excoriated for declaring that “we don’t have a strategy yet” for effectively confronting the Islamic State group. In criticizing Obama for taking too much time, Rep. Mike Rogers, the Republican chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, told “Fox News Sunday” that “this ‘don’t-do-stupid-stuff’ policy isn’t working.” That sounded odd to […]

September 07, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Just Us in Davis: Suffer the children

By Jonathan London Naftali Fraenkel, Gilad Shaer, Eyal Yifrah, Muhammad Abu Khdeir, Michael Brown. What do these people have in common? They all died far too young this summer and their deaths touched off waves of violence and soul-searching that extended far beyond their individual circumstances. Naftali Fraenkel, Gilad Shaer, Eyal Yifrah are Israeli teens murdered […]

A leisurely walk or a nightmare? Dog aggression increasing in Davis

Dog management tips * Firmly hold your dog on a short leash when in public * Avoid interaction with other dogs or ask the owner for permission * When you are stationary, at a bench or table, keep a short leash on your dog * If you see a guide dog that you must pass […]

$1,000 for 1,000 Red Roses Fund

Thank you to all the fine folks who came out to support the 1,000 Red Roses Benefit Concert for the Davis Arts Center. With everyone’s participation out at the E Street Plaza that night, not only did we have a fun-filled evening of diverse musical entertainment, but we managed to raise $1,000 for The 1,000 […]

September 05, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Thank you to shopping day volunteers

The Davis Salvation Army Committee would like to thank the 78 volunteers who donated their time to the annual Child Spree. The volunteers chaperoned 78 Davis school children as they shopped for school clothes at JC Penney on Saturday, Aug. 16. JC Penney opened its doors at 7:30 a.m. to allow shopping without other customers in […]