Goals available at Arroyo Park

On Aug. 14, 2013, you kindly published our letter and photo of the soccer goals locked at Arroyo Park. That picture helped so much that then-Mayor Joe Krovoza and the City Council members voted to bring new first-class goals to the park this April. We are all grateful to you. Thank you, Davis Enterprise. Chris […]

November 18, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Students should criticize state, not UC, regarding proposed tuition hike

The University of California may raise tuition once again after three years of managing to keep it flat while facing lower state funding. But students shouldn’t get mad at the UC: We need the money, and it’s the state that’s to blame. Under a proposal that UC President Janet Napolitano unveiled Wednesday, if the state […]

November 11, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Big bucks too much for populist measures

So much for populism. At least when it comes to fighting the interests of big-money corporations. In every vote last week where the interests of ordinary Californians were pitted against those of large companies, the corporate interests won big. Big bucks essentially convinced millions to vote against their own best interests. It was an unfettered triumph […]

November 11, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

They were a package deal

Dear Annie: I was in a long-distance relationship with “Jerry” for six years. He frequently spoke about commitment, but when he still wasn’t ready to do anything after all that time, I broke things off. That was a month ago. Although our breakup wasn’t particularly acrimonious, it has been difficult emotionally. I used to spend […]

Married people do *what*?

Dear Annie: I have been married for two years to a man I love, and we have a new baby daughter. I should be happy, but I am not. Annie, I do not like sex. I didn’t like it on my wedding night, and I don’t like it now. I was raised in the Catholic […]

The inside story of going viral

A year ago one of my columns became unusually popular. Three days after I published “What You Need to Know about 6-Foot Trick-or-Treaters,” I began receiving emails from strangers around the country. Then a couple of parent-related web sites reposted the piece, which led to more email. The column was about how my son and […]

November 09, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Republicans completely deserved their landslide victories

“Hats off!” to the Republicans for walloping the Democrats in the midterm elections. The Reds brought brass knuckles and nunchucks to this fistfight and came out swingin’. Of course, the victory isn’t that impressive if all your opponent does is curl into the fetal position and whimper. Democrats. How do I put this delicately … […]

Family trouble won’t go away

Dear Annie: My 42-year-old granddaughter is currently living with me. She has been evicted twice for not paying rent, her credit is no good, and she can’t find anybody who will rent to her. She has three young children who are living with my son (her father) and his wife. I am 83 years young […]

Waldorf should show leadership

The Enterprise has noted that 50 percent of the pupils in the Davis Waldorf School are not up-to-date with their immunizations. Wednesday’s edition featured a commentary by the school’s administrator, Tina Rheault, which explains its policy regarding vaccinations. Her commentary is consistent with the policy described in a statement by the European Council for Steiner […]

November 09, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Constitution contest thanks

This year, 2014, marked the 227th anniversary of the signing of the U.S. Constitution. It also marked the second highlighting of that event that through an essay contest on the Constitution and a variety of other activities here in Davis, taken on by Davis residents with the interest in promoting America’s history and the Constitution […]

November 09, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Don’t forget the real reason

Ninety-five years ago, President Woodrow Wilson proclaimed Nov. 11 Armistice Day in order to commemorate the end of World War I and the veterans who served in it. While the name has changed to Veterans Day, the purpose remains the same: to celebrate and commemorate the bravery and sacrifice of all U.S. veterans. While most […]

November 11, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20500; 202-456-1111; fax: 202-456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/policycomments.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3841; fax: 202-228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me House of Representatives Rep. John Garamendi (3rd District), 2438 Rayburn […]

November 09, 2014 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

The truth about American gun violence

By Emmett Barnes Since I first began writing this essay, my understanding of the topic I had chosen has practically reversed. My topic was gun control in America, and I originally believed that gun violence in the United States is at an all-time high, and that most shootings are carried out by individuals suffering from some sort of mental […]