Israeli government is the target

In his column on campus anti-Semitism (Dec. 30), Tom Elias, whose writing I always respect, obliges me to respond with added perspective and accurate terminology. As an outsider to the unending struggle between Israel and Palestine — except as a taxpaying contributor to our immense supplements to one side — I hesitate to offer the […]

January 15, 2015 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Empathizing with frustration

In our not-for-profit Sutter Health network, we are the doctors and nurses who care for you — and care about you. For many, we are lifelong partners, and we value the mutual bonds that we have created. Regrettably, for our patients with Blue Shield insurance, those bonds are being threatened. Sutter Health has been unable […]

January 15, 2015 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Moderate Muslims must address this

I share Hamza El-Nakhal’s shock, fury and condemnation of the hideous Islamist terrorist attack at the Charlie Hebdo magazine in Paris (Enterprise, Jan. 8). Of course, El-Nakhal doesn’t use the term “Islamist,” and informs us, as he always does, that Islam is a “religion of peace.” However, to convey this, he selectively quotes one of […]

January 13, 2015 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

PUC chief departs, but bad decisions live on

After 12 years of favoring big utility companies over individual consumers, Michael Peevey has at last left the California Public Utilities Commission. But many of his ill-considered — some say corrupt — decisions will linger on. Peevey departed in a carefully stage-managed mid-December commission meeting, forced by scandal to abandon previous plans to seek reappointment […]

January 13, 2015 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Local economy gathering steam

By Daniel Parrella, Michael Bisch, Bill Habicht, Matthew Miller and Alex Rossbach As a startup community begins to flourish, access to capital and innovative leasing space is crucial to its long-term health. A steady flow of financing from angel groups and venture capital firms can mean the difference between a startup burning out and a […]

January 13, 2015 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Where there’s a will …

Dear Annie: I am married to one of four siblings who dutifully took care of their aged parents until their mother died a few years ago. Daddy, in his mid-80s, met a bevy of women at his new upscale care facility and proposed marriage to one of them within two weeks. She turned him down, […]

At worst, it’s a bit tacky

Dear Annie: Several years ago, my husband of 45 years took an aerobics class composed of six students — four women and two men. The instructor, “Lynette,” is single and in her late 40s. Over time, the group became friendly and would socialize for an hour or so after workouts. Even when my husband stopped taking the […]

Are we there yet? Oh, we’re keeping the boat, Jerry

I rarely say this to anyone for fear of sounding like I drink champagne from fine crystal with my pinky pointing skyward, but we have a boat. We aren’t fancy yachters or 1-percenters, though. In fact, some people might say our boat is a junker. My husband would be one of those “some people.” The […]

January 11, 2015 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

A message to homicidal religious fanatics — try using Giraffe Power

In the aftermath of the slaughter at the Charlie Hebdo office in Paris this week, it’s impossible to think of much else. As I sit and write this, the two remaining radical Islamic assassins, as well as their comrade, were just shot and killed by French police. Vive la France! Sadly, three innocent hostages died […]

January 11, 2015 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Without help, the cycle continues

Dear Annie: My 16-year-old son, “Freddie,” has always kept to himself. We see Freddie’s uncle about once a year, and I only recently discovered that this same uncle molested Freddie when the boy was 7 years old. I had no clue. When Freddie was 11, I spoke with him about inappropriate touching, but he never told […]

It’s not Mom’s fault

Rich Rifkin’s mother must have had extraordinary vision if she could see him as he rode all the way up to Monticello Dam and back. Oh, wait … his mom was at work. Must have been one of his friends’ moms. I, too, think it’s too bad kids don’t play outside on their own anymore. […]

January 11, 2015 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Insight into the egg industry

The National Association of Egg Farmers is worried. Their guideline — not a requirement — is that each hen who produces the eggs you eat spend her entire life with just 67 square inches — smaller than a sheet of binder paper. But a new California law requires that these hens now be granted enough […]

January 11, 2015 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20500; 202-456-1111; fax: 202-456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/policycomments.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3841; fax: 202-228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me House of Representatives Rep. John Garamendi (3rd District), 2438 Rayburn […]

January 11, 2015 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,