Have the facts before you judge

By Rob Olson A little bit ago, I was washing my car on the front lawn when a neighbor I don’t know very well approached. I immediately had a feeling that my day was about to get worse. Turns out I was correct. After a minimal effort at a greeting, he pointed out that our […]

September 02, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Tesla has state walking a tightrope

And so California government now walks a tightrope, put in that position by one of the latest in the large corps of successful high-tech startups this state has spawned over the past few decades. Make a misstep in one direction and the state stands to lose a huge battery plant and 6,500 jobs. Stumble the […]

Marriage vs. male instinct

Dear Annie: I have been married for 40 years to a man who had a few affairs in the past that I recently found out about. We are both seeing counselors, privately and together. At this point in time, I am tired of dealing with this, and our marriage could well end in divorce. But […]

Health problems mean he’s checked out

Dear Annie: I’ve been with my boyfriend for five years. We have a handsome 6-year-old boy. A year after I had my son, my boyfriend was diagnosed with kidney failure. At first, he was doing well, but then he had a rough patch and lost hope. During that time, we split up briefly. He seemed […]

Marriage doesn’t mean we agree on everything

* Editor’s note: Marion is taking the day off. This column first ran in 2008. I don’t know how this happened, but my husband won’t watch “my” movies anymore. When we were dating, we went to the movies together. When we had young children, we escaped to the movies. Even now, we see new flicks […]

August 31, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Already made herself at home

Dear Annie: I am one of four adult children. Our father died a couple of years ago. Three of us have our own homes. One sister, “Diane,” has been married twice and has lived with numerous men and was kicked out when each relationship ended. She has no place that she owns. Our mother has […]

This epidemic should scare us

By Richard Fleming, M.D. A major disease epidemic is sweeping the country, but it is not getting much media attention. This disease has rapidly increased year by year. Almost 2,000,000 people each year are coming down with this illness, twice as many as ten years ago. The disease is responsible for much suffering. It shortens […]

Travel buddy is getting too fat

Dear Annie: My second cousin “Susan” and I are in our 60s and have been friends since childhood. I was widowed six years ago. Susan never married. Four years ago, Susan and I started traveling together. It’s much cheaper to travel as part of a couple than solo, and we get along well. Now, however, […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20500; 202-456-1111; fax: 202-456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/policycomments.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3841; fax: 202-228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me House of Representatives Rep. John Garamendi (3rd District), 2438 Rayburn […]

August 31, 2014 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Changing local election dates benefits Democrats

No one knows better than Democratic Party politicians that voters who tend to support them are at high tide in November general elections during even-numbered years when offices like president and governor and U.S. senator are at stake. Turnouts are far lower in primary elections, special elections and those held in some cities during odd-numbered […]

City panel working to tighten scrutiny of taxpayer dollars

By Jeff Miller and Dan Carson Last February, Davis Enterprise columnist Bob Dunning mused on the city’s serious fiscal problems and controversies, and suggested a solution. “Maybe it’s time to convene a citizen-based Budget Advisory Commission to turn over every rock looking for spare change that could get us out of this mess,” he opined […]

Ad-free email? You can still find it at Davis Community Network

By Bill Buchanan Those of us who help run the Davis Community Network sometimes wonder how to publicize the useful things we do, without resorting to publicity stunts or spending money (that we don’t have anyway) to buy attention. So we’re grateful that twice in August, Davis Enterprise columnist Debra DeAngelo knocked Cal.net for its […]

Cheers and Jeers: Moving on after water suit accord

We offer our cheers and jeers for local newsmakers as we look back over the previous week: CHEERS to the news that the litigation over Davis’ water rates has been shelved, thanks to an agreement signed by attorney Michael Harrington and Mayor Dan Wolk. The settlement clears the way for Davis to arrange bond financing […]

August 29, 2014 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,