A rose by any other name

Dear Annie: I have two daughters who have their biological father’s last name. He never phones or visits. In six years, he has seen them once for an hour. I would like to change their last name to my maiden name. I have full physical and legal custody of my girls. My ex has supervised […]

Thanks for your kindnesses

I’ve had occasion to be grateful for the kindness of strangers many times over the past weeks, and I’d like to offer up my thanks publicly. My dad has been dealing with a health crisis, and recently took two falls within 15 minutes of each other. The first occurred in the parking lot of Grocery […]

July 31, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Questions, questions, questions

Regarding the proposed Innovation Center: UC Davis is also in the planning stages to do something similar with the Nishi property and surrounding properties. Is this too much too soon? Will one kill the other? Is there enough innovation business and enterprise to support two similar projects? Is any coordination between UCD and the city […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20500; 202-456-1111; fax: 202-456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/policycomments.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3841; fax: 202-228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me House of Representatives Rep. John Garamendi (3rd District), 2438 Rayburn […]

July 31, 2014 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Ross Douthat: Democrat, Republican patterns are changing

When Barack Obama won the White House in 2008, he did so in an unusual way for a Democrat: as the candidate of the rich. He raised more in large-dollar donations than any of his rivals and raked in more cash from Wall Street than John McCain. In November, he won the upper class’ votes: […]

July 31, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Not sure which direction to go

Dear Annie: I am 13 and an avid reader of your column. I have been working at a summer program, and I ride a school bus there and back. Two young men ride the same bus. I have a crush on one of them (I’ll call him “Liam”), but I happen to know he likes […]

Water thieves sucked creek dry

I see you are going to relate the story of the demise and revival of the Putah Creek. Good! This story needs telling. Allow me to recount the history in a nutshell: People upstream dammed the river that ran past Davis, and despite promises they would maintain flows, cut it off almost completely. They (the […]

Civilians are innocent victims

The latest bombing by Israel of a United Nations-run elementary school on Thursday that resulted in more killings of Palestinian civilians adds to the lopsided consequences of the present war between Hamas and Israel. Yes, Hamas should be condemned for firing rockets into Israel whether or not they take a large number of Israeli lives. […]

Let’s gas up for TAPS

The UC Davis Transportation and Parking Services recently encouraged everyone to consider alternative transportation. People should walk and bike. People should ride-share. As a result, people’s health will improve, traffic congestion will decrease, fossil fuel use will decline, air quality will improve and global warming slows slightly. UC Davis could potentially set aside less land for […]

August 01, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Violence as entertainment

I was appalled to read “All Aboard The Zombie Train” on the front page of Sunday’s Enterprise. Here is free advertising that promotes violence as entertainment for adults and children, including those younger than 12, using the same laser guns the Army uses for simulation. This is just one way we are choosing as a […]

July 30, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Shocked at vampires story

My God! And we wonder why kids shoot other kids at schools throughout the United States? Is this what we’ve come to? That it’s an entertaining family outing to ride the train and “shoot zombies”? Oh sure, I know it’s all “make-believe.” And you don’t believe that “make-believe” has any relationship to acting out? I am […]

July 30, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Paul Krugman: Corporate artful dodgers

In recent decisions, the conservative majority on the Supreme Court has made clear its view that corporations are people, with all the attendant rights. They are entitled to free speech, which in their case means spending lots of money to bend the political process to their ends. They are entitled to religious beliefs, including those […]

July 30, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Nicholas Kristof: The world’s coolest places

Travel season is here, when so many Americans decamp to Cape Cod or the Jersey Shore. All of which is wonderful, and someday I plan to do a 10-part series on the world’s best beaches. But travel also can be an education, a step toward empathy and international understanding. So for those with an adventurous streak […]

July 30, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,