Be skeptical about Common Core

School’s starting and so is Common Core. A healthy skepticism is warranted as the school district begins to implement this new program. U.S. News and World Report recently published an article titled “Common Core Support in Free Fall.” This piece featured two surveys— by PDK International and Gallup, respectively — in which 60 percent of […]

September 05, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Nicholas Kristof: When reporting is dangerous

My heart broke for Steven Sotloff, the second American journalist beheaded in Syria, not only because of the barbarity the Islamic State group inflicted on him but also because he died trying to push back against the trend in news coverage. Over the past couple of decades, we’ve all seen trivialization of news, a drift […]

September 05, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Cheers and Jeers: Domo arigato, Team Roboto

We offer our cheers and jeers for local newsmakers as we look back over the previous week: CHEERS to Davis’ own Citrus Circuits robotics team, which took first place over the weekend at the off-season Chezy Champs Robotics Tournament at Bellarmine High School in San Jose. In the first game of the finals round, the Davis […]

September 05, 2014 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Mom bails on her family

Dear Annie: My daughter has been married for 14 years to a wonderful, successful, caring husband, and they have four beautiful children. But she recently moved out of their home. I can’t believe it. Everyone could tell the marriage wasn’t going that well in the past year, but we thought it was the usual ups […]

A breakthrough on solar power

Hats off to the Davis City Council for passing an ordinance requiring solar electric panels on all new homes. This is a breakthrough measure that will help lead to a sustainable future. Solar electric panels on all houses not only will reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the production of electricity, but also will make ownership and […]

September 07, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Don’t ignore the science

I was deeply disappointed with schools Superintendent Winfred Roberson’s reaction to the American Academy of Pediatrics recommendation that high schools start classes later in the morning. The academy described specific biological factors that shift the natural sleep times for adolescents, including delayed secretion of melatonin in the evening and altered brain response to sleep loss. It also cited a range of studies showing that later high […]

September 04, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Simple action, clear benefits

Tuesday’s article, “Doctors urge later school starts for teens,” covered an important topic. I was pleased to see that board member Sheila Allen supports a later start for the schools. However, it is frustrating that the rest of the board and administration, most notably Superintendent Winfred Roberson, do not. According to Matt Best, associate superintendent of […]

September 04, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Minority-party voters now have a say

When California voters adopted the “top two” primary election system four years ago via Proposition 14, they meant to make state politics more moderate, to ease some of the sharp divides between Republicans and Democrats that led to legislative and budgetary gridlock. It’s working, but still a work in progress. The relatively new system that […]

September 04, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

A long list of successes for Triad Task Force

By Elaine Roberts Musser It is with great sadness, but with a great deal of satisfaction and pride, that I am announcing the closing of the Triad Task Force. I want to thank the many people, agencies and organizations that participated, which contributed to the myriad successes over the past nine years of Triad’s existence. […]

September 04, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

U.S. saves us once again

* Editor’s note: Fakhir Mustafa Mohammed was a Humphrey Fellow at UC Davis during the 2013-14 academic year. He sent this brief email to Elisabeth Sherwin, the executive director of International House, who passes it along. Mohammed lives in Kurdistan with his family and wrote this email on Aug. 28. I am good; the ISIS is […]

September 03, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Give MRAP to Yolo sheriff

I can see both sides of the MRAP issue. I don’t foresee enough use to justify it for the city of Davis, but, if Davis gave it to the Yolo County Sheriff’s Department for use by the county I can see a need for it. It is one of those things that is better to […]

September 07, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,