Cheers and Jeers: Congrats to all the candidates

We offer our cheers and jeers for local newsmakers as we look back over the previous week: CHEERS to our friends and neighbors who took the ultimate leap into public service — running for office. We know the campaign trail is grueling — getting your message out there, meeting innumerable voters, raising money, answering hundreds […]

June 06, 2014 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Don’t give up on pond aeration

In reviewing Andy Bale’s article on Northstar pond aeration (“Managing Northstar Pond: City aerators are unnecessary,” April 27), I was surprised to see him giving up so easily on the strategy of aeration. As I understand it (though admittedly I’m not an expert in pond aeration), shallow ponds are more difficult to aerate and control […]

June 06, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Davis neglects its sidewalks

As a resident of Davis, I find it disturbing, to say the least, that the city is more concerned about bicycle lanes than the flow of automobile traffic, vehicle parking and sidewalk safety. The bicycle lobby has become the most powerful entity in our city. Davis is not “green” nor will it ever be; it […]

Profoundly grateful for support

As the results came in on Tuesday night (and Wednesday morning) and I reflected on the process, I found myself deeply thankful for the great group of people across the community who walked with me along the campaign trail. I offer my thanks. First to my wife Nancy for providing a constant non-anxious and supportive […]

Our historical literacy is waning

By Daniel Burnett A quarter of Americans don’t know that D-Day occurred during World War II. That punch in the gut is just one of the findings from a newly released survey about historical amnesia. On the 70th anniversary of one of the most important days in American history, it’s imperative that we as a […]

June 06, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Goodbye to The Yolo Crow

I was sad to hear that the little literary journal called The Yolo Crow was folding it up after eight years. It gave people in Yolo County easy access to the local writing talent here. It enabled me to enjoy the stories, poems and artwork of people in our community for years. I was lucky enough […]

June 05, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Parking conversation continues

I appreciate Glen Holstein’s response to my “Free parking is a myth” letter. He has a good point that adjustable-rate metered parking downtown could provide an economic hardship for those with mild or temporary disabilities. However, since those with disabled placards can park free at meters, implementing professor Donald Shoup’s goal of “one open spot […]

Fears about oil trains are justified

I just saw a report on Sacramento TV indicating that people in Davis are concerned about oil trains rolling through their neighborhood. Believe me, we are concerned, too, and have been for five years. I’m a news reporter who has been on this assignment since the Lac-Megantic explosion and have been trying to present statistics […]

First 5 lobbies for preschool

This is a summary of a letter sent by First 5 Yolo to members of the California State Legislature: After years of program cuts to child care and preschool programs, including the elimination of more than $1 billion in funding and 110,000 child care slots in California, this year brings an exciting opportunity for reinvestment […]

Voters win with top-two primary

Results like those from this week’s primary cause detractors to call California’s four-year-old “top two” election system the “jungle primary” because it often features races with a dozen or more contestants and outcomes that can be completely unpredictable. For sure, that makes it a lot more fun both to vote and follow election returns — unless […]

June 05, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Taking advantage of mother

Dear Annie: I’ve always known that my niece, “Norma,” takes advantage of people, but now I think she’s gone too far. Norma is a single mom who lives in my mother’s rental. I recently discovered that she has not paid rent for nearly a year. Norma also convinced my mother to shell out $8,000 to […]

Advice they don’t want to hear

Dear Annie: I work at a regional medical center, and friends and family often ask me to recommend a doctor or a physician’s group for them. For a while, I didn’t mind giving these people a few names, but I have grown reluctant to do so. My reluctance is not because I don’t trust in […]