Hey, I’ll give free rides!

I admire Davis residents’ sense of community and values displayed through the countless letters regarding the new MRAP vehicle. I applaud everyone urging the police to return the vehicle to where it came from, but I believe I have an easier solution. I am free to stop by and pick it up at the city’s convenience. That […]

September 03, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Our own special MRAP art

In recent weeks, the arrival of the mine-resistant ambush-protected vehicle has prompted much debate in Davis. While people largely agree that we don’t need or want it and that the money used could have found far better uses, they disagree about what to do with it. I don’t believe it came with a postage-paid return […]

September 03, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Police actions aren’t always worthy of our trust

By Richard and Gwain Evans David Stubbins contrasts the “good” Davis police with those in other communities, and thinks the weapons provided to them by the Davis community will be used appropriately (Forum, Aug. 26). Stubbins must not be a black man. A black man knows that when he walks down the street in Davis […]

September 03, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Tanks … for the memories

The Davis City Council made the right decision. Our police officers don’t need a mine-resistant ambush-protected vehicle, designed to safeguard the military from improvised explosive devices in a combat zone. I’m glad we are getting rid of it. We’ve gone 146 years in this burg without having to have the MRAP. That strikes me as […]

September 03, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

‘The conversation went further’

Dear Annie: I am a 26-year-old married woman. I love my husband and would do anything for him, and I know he would do the same for me. The problem is, I contacted an old friend after learning his uncle had died. This guy was my first love. I only reached out to him to […]

Neither one wants to let go

Dear Annie: I am 74, and “Jane” is 56. We met online, where I said early on that I was not interested in dating because of the age disparity. I simply told her that I liked the expression on her face in the posted photos. She is beautiful. But within a few months, we fell […]

A cure for Davis’ problems

Tim Bruening suggested that the city of Davis sell the MRAP on eBay. He’s a brilliant guy. If we were to permanently dismantle its firing capabilities, we could sell it to someone and still feel good about unleashing it on the world. We could then use the money to pay for either a substantial portion […]

September 02, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

A good use for the MRAP

I applaud the City Council’s decision to direct the Davis police to dispose of that dread-inspiring military vehicle. But just getting rid of it is not enough. We don’t want it to be picked up and used by authorities somewhere else. More important, we want this principled and timely decision to live on. Let’s turn […]

September 02, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Have the facts before you judge

By Rob Olson A little bit ago, I was washing my car on the front lawn when a neighbor I don’t know very well approached. I immediately had a feeling that my day was about to get worse. Turns out I was correct. After a minimal effort at a greeting, he pointed out that our […]

September 02, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Tesla has state walking a tightrope

And so California government now walks a tightrope, put in that position by one of the latest in the large corps of successful high-tech startups this state has spawned over the past few decades. Make a misstep in one direction and the state stands to lose a huge battery plant and 6,500 jobs. Stumble the […]

Marriage vs. male instinct

Dear Annie: I have been married for 40 years to a man who had a few affairs in the past that I recently found out about. We are both seeing counselors, privately and together. At this point in time, I am tired of dealing with this, and our marriage could well end in divorce. But […]

Health problems mean he’s checked out

Dear Annie: I’ve been with my boyfriend for five years. We have a handsome 6-year-old boy. A year after I had my son, my boyfriend was diagnosed with kidney failure. At first, he was doing well, but then he had a rough patch and lost hope. During that time, we split up briefly. He seemed […]

Marriage doesn’t mean we agree on everything

* Editor’s note: Marion is taking the day off. This column first ran in 2008. I don’t know how this happened, but my husband won’t watch “my” movies anymore. When we were dating, we went to the movies together. When we had young children, we escaped to the movies. Even now, we see new flicks […]

August 31, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,