Will power companies start robbing the ‘hood?

For decades, Californians who use the most electricity have paid extra for that privilege, on the theory that high prices might provide an incentive for them to use less. This system is designed to allow all ratepayers enough power for basic needs at very low prices, with the extra energy needed to run things like […]

July 10, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Ushering in a new era of conservation

By Tom Vilsack and Paul Buttner The U.S. Department of Agriculture recently launched the Regional Conservation Partnership Program, a new effort that takes conservation off the farm and out of the forest and moves it into the board room. The concept behind the program is simple: To feed a growing global population in the face […]

July 10, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Fringe benefits from the fad

Dear Annie: The current “fad” of gluten-free products is both beneficial and harmful to those of us who must follow a gluten-free diet because of celiac disease. On one hand, it’s easier to find gluten-free foods. But on the other hand, those of us with celiac disease are looked upon as if we are simply […]

Repair our crumbling infrastructure

As a longtime resident of Davis, I am dismayed and discouraged by the deterioration of our infrastructure. In particular, Fifth Street between Alhambra Drive and Pole Line Road is hazardous to drive. The road bed must not have been properly compacted for it to subside so significantly that the storm-drain standing pipes are exposed 4 to […]

July 10, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Delaying road repairs is a mistake

Walk outside your front door, ride your bike on the greenbelt or drive anywhere in Davis and one thing is clear, our paved surfaces are in need of repair. Because previous city councils balanced their budgets without setting aside money to pay for these infrastructure needs, the city does not have the funding necessary to […]

July 10, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Wordsmithery changes the landscape of our minds

By Dave Allen As a former language teacher, I’ve long been interested in new expressions that come into our speech, often from the lips of those often-reviled talking heads. * Outlier: Malcolm Gladwell is certainly an outlier who is apart from the herd. * Double down: President Obama decided to double down on his health plan. * Smackdown: Republicans […]

July 09, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Save lives, and the planet

The highly volatile and flammable crude oil that is under consideration for the Benicia Valero refinery won’t magically appear at the refinery. It matters not that the refinery is surrounded by an industrial park, this dirty and deadly oil must still be transported thousands of miles from the Bakken fracking fields or from tar sands. […]

July 11, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Educate yourself about oil trains

A seriously scary happening is coming down our tracks. Oil and coal trains are coming down our tracks now. If oil companies get their way ― and they usually do ― in the next two years we could have two 100-car trains per day. We can have a say in whether they are approved for […]

July 09, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Library’s charges are exorbitant

For the second time in a decade, the Stephens Branch Library has announced plans to raise copy machine charges to 20 cents per copy. No other copy service in Davis, public or private, requires charges anywhere near that price! Both Fed Ex and Office Max currently charge 11 cents per copy, including tax. Shield Library at […]

July 11, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Don’t miss DMTC’s ‘Les Mis’

I hope Davis residents are aware and appreciate the jewel you have in the Davis Musical Theatre Company, getting ready to begin its 30th year of musicals in Davis. I have seen the Broadway series production of “Les Miserables” in Sacramento, and the recent DMTC production surpassed the professional one. “Les Mis” will be performed […]

Thanks to the angels

During the course of these last few days, my husband and I and our neighbors witnessed firefighters from across jurisdictions mobilize to battle the treacherous Monticello wildfire that raged so close. Many of us also personally witnessed the professionalism and collaboration of Cal Fire, Yolo County Sheriff’s Office, California Highway Patrol, American Red Cross and […]