Take steps to ensure a healthy, happy pregnancy

If you’re a woman of childbearing age, you should be thinking about your health. Medical research shows that a mother’s health before and during the nine months of pregnancy not only affects a baby’s development in the womb, but also influences the child’s health through adulthood. First 5 Yolo offers information about how to take […]

August 03, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

From a chance visit follow family, friends, home

* Editor’s note: Marion is taking the day off. She is repeating this column — her first as an Enterprise writer in 1996 — in honor of Maggie Schimmel, who died recently at age 95. Maggie is not named in the column, but she is the grandmother who offered wise words at Patwin Elementary School. Maggie moved from Davis […]

August 03, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

It’s not what they thought

Dear Annie: I am writing in the hope that my situation will help other women. A year ago, I started experiencing irregular monthly cycles that would last for 20 days at a time. I also had extreme pain and a rapid heart rate. I was told, “You are going through menopause.” After several months of […]

Treat children as refugees

Let us consider all the children at the border crossings as refugees. Remember that unless you are descended from Native Americans, you or your ancestors were refugees at one time. So let us ask every billionaire, millionaire, member of Congress and every Spanish-speaking family in the United States to agree to adopt one refugee child. […]

August 01, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Protect and expand Medicare

July 30 was Medicare’s 49th birthday. Let’s celebrate the incredible success of this program in helping people age 65 and older, and those with severe disabilities, get the health care they need, reducing health disparities, cutting senior poverty and improving families’ financial security, all while cutting costs and reducing unnecessary marketing and administrative waste. Unfortunately, […]

It’s insurance against extremes

We certainly could debate the logic and data interpretation in Mikal Saltveit’s July 25 letter to The Enterprise. But for the sake of discussion, let’s assume he is right. Let’s assume climate change models are mostly inaccurate and there is only small possibility that continuing business as usual will lead us into centuries of a […]

Political cartoon was offensive

I found the cartoon published in Tuesday’s Enterprise highly offensive. It showed Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in an Uncle Sam-type poster saying that he wants YOU for a war on Gaza! To say that any country’s leader wants war is the height of stupidity. No one wants war, killing and death. Netanyahu is trying […]

Cheers and Jeers: Teaching our community to ‘dare greatly’

We offer our cheers and jeers for local newsmakers as we look back over the previous week: CHEERS to three Davis marriage and family therapists who are bringing the Daring Way curriculum to Davis. Based on author Brené Brown’s book, “Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent and […]

August 01, 2014 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Railroads, listen up and respond

By Elizabeth Lasensky Valero and other refineries want to ship dangerous crude oil by rail through Davis. These trains are called “bomb trains” for good reason. They carry the same crude on rail cars that derailed last year in Lac Megantic, Canada, incinerating 47 people and wiping out its downtown. That community has yet to […]

August 01, 2014 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

A rose by any other name

Dear Annie: I have two daughters who have their biological father’s last name. He never phones or visits. In six years, he has seen them once for an hour. I would like to change their last name to my maiden name. I have full physical and legal custody of my girls. My ex has supervised […]

Thanks for your kindnesses

I’ve had occasion to be grateful for the kindness of strangers many times over the past weeks, and I’d like to offer up my thanks publicly. My dad has been dealing with a health crisis, and recently took two falls within 15 minutes of each other. The first occurred in the parking lot of Grocery […]

July 31, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Questions, questions, questions

Regarding the proposed Innovation Center: UC Davis is also in the planning stages to do something similar with the Nishi property and surrounding properties. Is this too much too soon? Will one kill the other? Is there enough innovation business and enterprise to support two similar projects? Is any coordination between UCD and the city […]

July 31, 2014 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20500; 202-456-1111; fax: 202-456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/policycomments.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3841; fax: 202-228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me House of Representatives Rep. John Garamendi (3rd District), 2438 Rayburn […]

July 31, 2014 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,