A vote for trimming conventions to three days

The issue: Cutting these glorified commercials saves money, makes sense In the end, the two-party system survived. The four-day political convention is not holy writ chiseled into courthouses everywhere. The three-day convention, it turns out, works just as well, arguably even better. THE REPUBLICAN National Convention was shortened by happenstance when it seemed as if […]

September 11, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

And baby makes … hurt feelings

Dear Annie: My husband and I have been married for 30 years. We each have adult children from previous marriages. One, “Luella,” only wants a relationship when it suits her. We don’t hear from her on Father’s Day, but if you miss something for her, she’s “hurt.” She’s a taker, not a giver. A year […]

New jobless rate requires political spin to look good

The issue: The candidate who convinces us things are improving will be our next president Politically, the August jobs numbers offered something for both parties. The overall percentage of unemployed fell to 8.1 percent from 8.3 percent in July. The White House can point to the indubitable fact that the jobless rate fell. UNFORTUNATELY, the […]

September 09, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Homegrown recognition for a special roommate

In our house, there’s a room we call “Mim’s Room.” Whenever we have a guest, the first thing we say is, “You can stay in Mim’s Room.” Rarely do we explain who Mim is, why we named the room after her and why the name has stuck for 25 years after she left. Even I […]

September 09, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Time to stop admiring my fingernails and act like an American citizen

So, I fully intended to lean back against the wall, and just admire my fingernails in cool disinterest as this election rolled past, since I’m no longer participating in Red Team vs. Blue Team charade. I’m a hardcore unaffiliated voter — allied with neither party and no longer gulping the party Kool-Aid. Don’t get me […]

It’s still not a parking space

Dear Annie: I had to respond to the letter from “Seeing Red About Blue,” whose son is in a wheelchair. She often finds the striped area next to the handicapped parking spot occupied, blocking safe passage back into her van. I have a motorcycle. I used to park in those blue-striped areas because they were […]

Who stole the American dream?

Yesterday, my 24-year-old daughter proudly announced to me that she has been promoted to bartender at the upscale restaurant where she has been working as a cook for three years. She is excited about the tips. She has no health benefits, no guarantee of future employment, and in her junior year in college, is already […]

September 09, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Making Social Security sustainable

Jim Stevens calls on Congressman Mike Thompson to provide leadership to make Social Security sustainable. The biggest shock for me when I received my first real paycheck out of college as a mid-level manager with Sutter County was that I was going to max out my Social Security obligation before the end of the pay […]

September 11, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Teach teenagers some respect

I had an experience this week that caused me to wonder where common courtesy and respect have gone. I was riding my bike with my 4-year-old daughter to Target. As we came up the path from John Barovetto Park that leads to Target, there was a group of teenagers blocking the entire way. I thought […]

September 13, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Consumers’ right to know: What is in Prop. 37?

By Kent J. Bradford Proposition 37 on the Nov. 6 ballot, “The California Right to Know Genetically Engineered Food Act,” is being portrayed as a simple initiative that would require mandatory labeling of any foods grown or produced using genetic engineering. However, Prop. 37 is a poorly written measure that will result in shakedown lawsuits, […]

A six-point plan for more efficient City Council meetings

By Dan Wolk and Brett Lee While on the campaign trail, we had the opportunity to get to know each other and Davis City Council member Lucas Frerichs quite well. Often, we would discuss the similar priorities we each had for improving our community. Universally, we agreed that one of the first steps we needed […]

Obama reaches out to Latino voters

The barrage of Republican television advertising aimed at both registered Latino voters and potential Hispanic voters who have not yet registered began early this summer. Bankrolled mostly by super political action committees grown stupendously wealthy under the U.S. Supreme Court’s 2010 Citizens United decision allowing both individual donors and corporations to fund them without limit, […]

We brought it on ourselves

Pollution is a form of chemical warfare that man befalls upon himself. William F. Foley Jr. Davis

September 11, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,