Help wanted in a field of explosive growth

The issue: Al-Qaida wants you as a suicide bomber The job market is tight the world over, but in one field there is a critical shortage of people to do the work and one employer is practically begging people to apply. Al-Qaida is running low on suicide bombers and is advertising for volunteers on websites […]

August 23, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

It’s still a secret

Dear Annie: Years ago, my brother, “Harry,” cheated on his wife. She forgave him, and they got back together. They seem very happy. A few years after his affair, the other woman had him served with paternity papers. Harry pays child support, but he has never met the child and says he doesn’t plan to. […]

He didn’t have what she wanted

Dear Annie: My husband of nine years was married to his first wife for 30 years when she left him for another woman. She apparently was a lesbian, but he had no knowledge of it until their marriage fell apart. His two adult kids blame him for the divorce. They also blame me because I […]

Bipartisanship still can happen

Not even the revelation that dishonest state parks officials hid $54 million in reserve funds from budget writers and the public can dim the wider import of a park-rescue bill now working its way through the Legislature. This bill demonstrates that even before a possible few moderate politicians arrive in Sacramento after November’s runoff election, […]

August 22, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Thank you, Petersen family

On behalf of the many Davisites who were not able to travel to London this summer, we would like to thank the Petersen family for including us on their 2012 Olympic journey. Their travel reports offered an inside view into the Olympic experience, which brought London just a little bit closer to Davis. We enjoyed […]

August 22, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Remember Jacobsen at exhibit

Ann Jacobsen, a great Davis artist, will have a one-day exhibit on Sunday from 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Pence Gallery, 212 D St. The show is curated by her friend Bruce Guttin, and sponsored by her sister Dee Jacobsen with support from her friend Adrienne Austin Shapiro. In addition to being a […]

The one place high-speed rail might work

The issue: Certain to succeed in the Northeast Corridor, the service will take far more visionary legislators than we have now to get it built If you travel by public transportation in the Northeast Corridor — Washington, D.C., New York, Boston — for the first time in decades the chances are you will go by […]

August 22, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Coyote coexistence plan needed

I am saddened by the recent “management” of a coyote family in Davis, and the uncertain future of the last surviving pup. I grew up in Davis, and still visit there often. In Davis we are lucky to have an opportunity to observe wild animals in their natural environment, a privilege that should be appreciated […]

Teenager is making a difference

On behalf of CommuniCare Health Centers, we wish to thank Jasmine Casillas for the wonderful children’s book exchange she organized for our Davis Community Clinic clients. As a community service project to fulfill the requirements for her Girl Scout Silver Award, Jasmine collected more than 600 gently used, and some new, children’s books in both […]

August 23, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

I oppose cuts to Medicare

When I signed up for Medicare, I did my research. I wanted the standard Medicare with the supplemental plan F. I called Blue Cross, my insurer, and they directed me to there Advantage Plan. It was a pilot plan for our county. It sounded good and was well priced. What I found out later was […]

August 23, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Karan Khoshkar: a Davis treasure

For many years, Karan Khoshkar at University Imports Automotive has maintained and repaired the cars we’ve brought to him. His diagnostic and repair skills, honesty and kindness are remarkable. Not only does he do great work, one time he arranged for us to borrow one of his cars after hours so we could use it […]

Davis, thanks for support

I need to begin this letter by apologizing for taking this long to let the people of Davis know how much I appreciate the outpouring of support they have given my son, Scott Weltz. It became so apparent to me early on that people of Davis had adopted my son as their own and rallied […]

August 21, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Parallels between SCD, DACHA

As a citizen of Davis, I write to deplore the actions of the president of the Senior Citizens of Davis Inc. The proposed changes in the bylaws smack of the improper taking over of the SCD assets in defiance of the intent of the George and Lena Valente Foundation, the major donor to the organization. […]

August 21, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,