How to support our troops — honest loans

The issue: Exploiting young soldiers is not only sleazy, it’s unpatriotic We love our troops, but some of us love ripping them off even more. Among those most determined to get their hands on the skimpy paychecks of the younger members of the military are certain segments of the student-loan industry. “MANY SERVICE members may […]

October 26, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Garamendi has my vote

John Garamendi is in a close race for the U.S. Congress, as the new redistricting included rural areas that tend to be more conservative. He needs every vote he can get, so I encourage people to vote for Garamendi as he would be a wonderful representative for us. I know him personally, and he is […]

October 28, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Vote yes on Measure E

I am fortunate enough to be able to volunteer in my children’s classes and I see first-hand the challenges our schools are facing every minute of every day. Already, we have lost so many amazing teachers and broken up teams of teachers who have been working together for years. We cannot afford to lose any […]

October 30, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Proposition 37 is bad law

GMO foods are not developed in a laboratory with mad scientists, crazy farmers or vicious chemists from demonized companies hunkered over a vat of noxious potion with intent to change the DNA of food products, making evil products to sell to the unsuspecting consumers. Before the techniques of DNA identification in agriculture, selecting the desirable […]

November 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Our food is plenty regulated

Wow! I am really surprised to learn that Belinda Martineau and Mitt Romney have so much in common — this idea that saying something often enough and loud enough makes it fact even when it is far from the truth: Belinda’s involvement with the development of the FlavrSavr tomato. At least 15 individuals at Calgene […]

November 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Keep promises to senior citizens

Being in health care, I would like to share some of my thoughts about what is going on in our country about Medicare and seniors. This issue has come up in our local 3rd Congressional District race as I have seen a number of letters to the editor discussing John Garamendi’s record in this area. […]

Re-elect Lovenburg to board

Please join me in voting to re-elect Susan Lovenburg to the Davis school board. Throughout her current term, Susan has fulfilled her responsibilities as a board member with an exemplary commitment to the students, families, teachers and staff whot make up our school community. She listens to everyone so that her decisions reflect a full […]

Alan brings groups together

Today I voted for Alan Fernandes for Davis school board. I care about Davis schools and the role the school board plays in making tough budgetary decisions. I vote for people I believe will help set the tone to ensure that our community raises socially conscious, good citizens, kids who care about others and take personal responsibility […]

Man is amazing, family less so

Dear Annie: A few years ago, I met the most amazing man. “Jim” is the love of my life. I fell in love with his family, too. The problem is, after a year of marriage, I received a text message from my mother-in-law (Jim’s stepmother) stating that his family has never wanted me around and […]

Thanks for saving Emerson

I read in the paper last month that Emerson/Da Vinci Junior High now has the largest enrollment of any of the junior highs in Davis. I just want to thank the school board members all those years ago who listened to the community and searched for alternate options, at a time when it seemed all […]

October 25, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Don’t worry; trees will live

The point Bob Dunning makes about watering trees in his Friday column illuminates one more important advantage of the Loge-Williams consumption-based fixed revenue water rate structure over traditional rate structures. The detailed side-by-side analysis Frank and I have made of the most recent year of actual Davis water consumption data shows that three quarters of […]

Cost-sharing must be equitable

Because of the extraordinary expense of surface water, the city’s decision on its future water system will have a great impact on our community for decades to come. Recently, the Water Advisory Committee voted to recommend that the city proceed with the Woodland-Davis project, provided that Woodland pay for 60 percent of the project and […]

If housing comeback is for real, recovery is, too

The issue: While jobs numbers are important, housing starts are the real economic drivers While political analysts were happily hashing over Mitt Romney’s binders of women and what President Barack Obama did or did not say in the Rose Garden about the Benghazi attack, the U.S. Department of Commerce was issuing a report that will […]

October 25, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,