2012 Democratic convention lacks electricity of ’08

The issue: Party faithful will tout Obama’s considerable foreign policy successes, but the economy is another matter The Democratic national convention in Charlotte, N.C., coming only five days after the Republicans wrap up in Tampa, is shaping up as something of an anticlimax. BARACK OBAMA is the incumbent president and, facing no internal challenges or […]

September 04, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

After convention, drop loose talk of war

The issue: Moral issues aside, Romney and Ryan are obligated to specify exactly which taxes they will raise to pay for future conflicts National security and foreign policy was largely absent from the Republican convention. But when Republicans address defense, their tough talk borders on belligerence. MITT ROMNEY already has said he would support a […]

September 02, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Enroll in elementary music this week

This coming week, elementary parents of fourth-, fifth- and sixth-graders can enroll their child in the school elementary music program. All that is required is that first-year students and parents attend one of the parent meetings. For string players, those meetings are held at Patwin Elementary School, 2222 Shasta Drive, at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday […]

September 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

There is no California

By Victor Davis Hanson Driving across California is like going from Mississippi to Massachusetts without ever crossing a state line. Consider the disconnects: California’s combined income and sales taxes are among the nation’s highest, but the state’s deficit is still about $16 billion. It’s estimated that more than 2,000 upper-income Californians are leaving per week […]

September 02, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

To aid kids’ learning, keep hunger at bay

By Bill Maxwell With the usual fanfare, most of America’s public schools are back in session. And as usual, there is that ugly problem: Many children in our classrooms are hungry. We Americans, the world’s richest population, should be ashamed that some 16 million of our children regularly go to school with empty stomachs. Ensuring […]

Seniors endorse our ‘right to know’

By Donna Russell, Marilyn Mills, Linda Biersnick, Vera Whitehurst and Diane Evans Senior citizens living at Eleanor Roosevelt Circle in Davis recently sponsored an old-fashioned teach-in potluck on genetically modified organisms to learn about the effects of genetic engineering on their foods, possible risks and their right to know — labeling. They raffled off a […]

GMOs are not going to harm us

By Gabe Lewin This is in response to my critics, and to critics of genetically modified organisms: No, I am not an apologist for Monsanto. In fact, I think they are making a huge error in opposing GMO labeling. The fact is that I am an environmentalist, concerned by the application of masses of insecticides. Yes, […]

30 ways in 30 days to make a difference

September is Hunger Action Month, which encourages individuals to take action against hunger in their communities. First initiated by Feeding America, a national hunger relief organization, Hunger Action Month unites hundreds of food banks across the nation and urges us to create discussions with one another about hunger. This month, the Food Bank of Yolo […]

Daughters want to help parents

Dear Annie: We are three daughters who need help. Our parents’ home seems unhappy and full of bitterness. Mom and Dad have been married for 59 years, but Mom doesn’t seem to enjoy life. Dad is not perfect, but we really don’t know their past personal stories and relationship. They seem to have led separate […]

It’s time to rethink GATE

I want to thank Jann Murray-García for raising the issue of our school district’s problematic GATE, or Gifted and Talented Education, program in her Aug. 26 column. During this time of fiscal challenge to our schools, we have an opportunity to reflect on the ways we deliver education to our children, both intentionally and unintentionally. […]

September 04, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Public schools are in crisis

I am writing to share my disappointment with the Davis Joint Unified School District. On the first day of school, my son, a ninth-grader at Holmes Junior High, was turned away (yes, sent home!) because there was not enough classroom space (i.e. teachers) to accommodate him. He missed the first day of school because there […]

August 31, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Lobby for a plastic bag ban

“Reduce, reuse, recycle.” We have all heard this mantra once or many times before, but how often do stop and think about what we do to reduce, reuse and recycle? The state Senate is considering Assembly Bill 298, a measure to ban single-use plastic grocery bags in California. This measure directly addresses this ethic. Californians […]

August 31, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Delta fix is better than nothing

If there’s such a thing as a sure thing it politics, it is this: If the water plan announced late last month by Gov. Jerry Brown ever passes the state Legislature, it surely will become the object of a statewide referendum much like the 1982 vote that defeated a somewhat similar plan endorsed by Brown. […]

August 31, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,