First responders at the movies

Some time ago at the Varsity Theatre, an off-screen drama preceded the featured film. Having dropped off a couple of friends while I parked, I returned to find one of them had lost her footing and fallen, resulting in a deep gash in her leg. In no time, several moviegoers were administering first aid by […]

October 04, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Where there’s a will, there’s revenge

Dear Annie: I am an 88-year-old father with three grown daughters. I have a substantial amount listed in my will, which originally was to be equally divided. A year ago, my youngest daughter and I had a falling out. I said something that irritated her, and she said I am not allowed to bring up […]

Fernandes works collaboratively

We highly recommend Alan Fernandes, a candidate for the Davis Joint Unified School District Board of Education. Regardless of the results of the November elections, the district will be facing significant fiscal and operational challenges. Alan’s family, education, career path, understanding of the relationships between local and state entities, volunteerism and devotion to wide-ranging community […]

October 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Cheap shots at California are inaccurate

Back in years like 1936 and 1972, when California was in the midst of serious recessions, no Republican presidential candidate or surrogate would have dared bash California the way Mitt Romney, Sarah Palin, Peggy Noonan and others lately have. Back then, this state was pretty safely Republican in presidential voting and no GOP bigwig would […]

October 02, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

In the future, nobody will be at the wheel

The issue: The technology for driverless cars is already here, making commutes safer and faster Enjoy driving your car now. You may not be doing it much longer. The driverless car is here. GOV. JERRY BROWN has given the go-ahead for self-driving cars on a test basis in California, our largest and most auto-addicted state […]

October 02, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Grandma’s favoritism stirs rivalry

Dear Annie: My mother-in-law blatantly favors her oldest granddaughter, “Miranda,” to the exclusion of the other four. She says Miranda is the “good granddaughter” and her 17-year-old sister, “Amy,” is the “troublemaker.” I believe that Amy acts out partly because of the negative label she has been saddled with for years. Meanwhile, Miranda can do […]

What’s driving them away?

Dear Annie: My 21-year-old granddaughter recently confided that she doesn’t attract men and doesn’t know why. It bothers her a great deal. She knows it’s not her looks. She is good looking. She has had some self-esteem issues due to dyslexia and received counseling. ”Kelly” had one relationship that she ended recently due to his […]

The Big Island is a study in contrasts

Before we flew to the Big Island for my nephew’s wedding, I had never been there, but I thought I knew what to expect. From my visits to other islands 25 years ago, I remembered Hawaii as beautiful and exotic with warm seas, nodding palm trees, fascinating volcano hikes and a tropical climate that includes […]

September 30, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Be warned (or not) – this is what ‘crazy’ feels like

* Editor’s note: This column first ran on March 15, 2007. “I remember when, I remember, I remember when I lost my mind … There was something so pleasant about that place… Even your emotions had an echo in so much space … And when you’re out there, without care, yeah, I was out of […]

September 30, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

So many social engagements, so little time …

Dear Annie: For years, I have been attending friends’ weddings, showers, graduation parties, birthday parties, engagement parties and other happy occasions. The problem is, these things require me to give up my time and money. I don’t want to make enemies, but I truly do not care that your great-granddaughter is having a baby. I […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House of Representatives Rep. […]

September 30, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Bill Clinton still the Comeback Kid

The issue: Romney jokes that he may get a ‘bounce’ from former president Former President Bill Clinton is justifiably known for his political and psychological resilience. Not for nothing is he known as the Comeback Kid. BUT WHAT HAPPENED Tuesday at a meeting of the Clinton Global Initiative in New York would have send a […]

September 30, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,