Mom stuck in the middle

Dear Annie: My mother-in-law was desperate to have grandchildren, but when our daughter was born, Mom turned out to be a horrible grandmother. During visits to Grandma’s house, our daughter had to entertain herself in a spare bedroom because Grandma’s dogs didn’t like kids, and Grandma wouldn’t lock up her “babies” for the sake of […]

Realignment gripes are about money

Complaints have been coming sporadically from around California ever since state prisons began dumping inmates back to counties last fall in a move designed to save money. Yes, the state has given cities and (mostly) counties hundreds of millions of dollars as compensation for housing the former state convicts and supervising their parole. But new […]

August 07, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Grandma, what rotten teeth you have!

Dear Annie: I have a beautiful 3-month-old daughter. We live close to my parents, and they babysit “Abby” all the time. Here’s the problem. At my last dental visit, my dentist told me about a study that says adults with bad oral hygiene can transmit bacteria to children through kissing and sharing utensils, causing tooth […]

Walking the Camino de Santiago: the details

My friend, Hieu, begins with underwear. “You take two,” he says, knowing the information will interest me. “Fast drying. You wear one; you wash the other one. Every night.” When he says “every night,” he means a lot of nights, almost two months’ worth. ———— Last week I wrote about the Camino de Santiago, a […]

August 05, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Keeping calm just got a little easier, and closer, too

Keep Calm and Carry On. The phrase on that British World War II poster is enjoying a comeback of late, and if you’re on Facebook, you’ve seen about a thousand variations: “Keep Calm and Go Shopping,” Keep Calm and Love Dogs,” “Keep Calm and Put Bacon On It,” and my personal favorite, “I can’t Keep […]

Come on, ladies, shape up!

Dear Annie: I have had all I can take from your female readers who complain about the lack of intimacy from their husbands. You tell them to have their husband’s testosterone checked and seek counseling. Allow me to give you a better answer. It’s true that men, as they get older and live with their […]

Local businesses support Davis children

Peregrine preschool is a place where Davis children can learn, discover, play and build friendships. On behalf of all the parents that helped plan and run the recent end-of-the-year Fiesta fundraiser, we want to thank the wonderful local businesses that donated raffle items that both delighted our community and helped raise over $3,600 for the […]

August 08, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Thank you Wildhorse golf course

Than you Pete Mason! I spoke with Pete Mason at Wildhorse Golf Course who was very supportive of all our efforts to get the orphaned coyote pup to safety. He has given us full permission to work with staff to secure this little pup. Thank you Pete Mason for wanting to provide the patrons at […]

Community health centers: Making the promise of health care reform a reality

Save the date What: CommuniCare Health Centers’ 40th anniversary celebration When: 3-6 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 15 Where: Outside under the tent at Davis Community Clinic, 2051 John Jones Road, Davis Info: Email [email protected] By Robin Affrime and Chris Kelsch Thanks to health care reform, as many as 32 million currently uninsured people nationwide will be […]

Obama hands Clinton the convention spotlight

The issue: Even if he can be something of a loose cannon, former president still musters a lot of political firepower Nearly 12 years after he left office, Bill Clinton remains one of our most popular and compelling politicians. Many believe, probably correctly, that if the Constitution had allowed he could have won a third […]

August 05, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

The truth about the death penalty

By Tracie Olson I  am writing as the public defender of Yolo County. Contrary to District Attorney Jeff Reisig’s opinion piece published last Sunday, there are numerous, overwhelming reasons to oppose the death penalty, and none involve dishonoring victims. Innocent people have been sentenced to death and executed. Deputy District Attorney Jeff Reisig laments the “endless […]

Lone Star tick makes people allergic to red meat

It’s the middle of the dog days, which, oddly enough, can bring a respite from an onslaught of ticks in some parts of the country. Generally, experts say the risk of tick encounters is low from the Ohio Valley and west of the Mississippi, and medium from the Deep South and eastward across the rest […]

Silence makes things worse

Dear Annie: Many years ago, I suspected my ex-husband of sexually abusing our daughter, “Mary.” There was opportunity and some evidence. I didn’t actually see anything. In and out of denial, I didn’t know what to do, and so I didn’t do anything. But it’s tormented me. Several years ago, Mary told me she believed […]

UCD influence report not surprising

So friends and neighbors influence voters’ decisions, as reported by a study conducted by UC Davis psychologists. That’s not surprising. But a lot is missing in the study’s description published in The Enterprise. How do such peer influences, for example, compare with other factors — editorial endorsements, media commercials, campaign phone calls, etc? Are they […]