Water project honors community consensus

By Elaine Roberts Musser, Helen Thomson, Jerry Adler, Alf Brandt, Steve Boschken, Jim West and Jane Rundquist The objective of the Woodland-Davis surface water project is to create a safe, sustainable and reliable source of clean water for our community. Many extremely qualified experts testified before the Water Advisory Committee, a group of knowledgeable citizens […]

January 20, 2013 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

What do you think? What is your lifelong goal?

Jeffrey Yoo student, Davis: “To be a car salesman.” Brandon O’Shea waiter, Davis: “(To work in) broadcasting.” Courtney Mullarkey student, Davis: “(To work as a) book editor or publisher.” Vikram Branch student, Davis: “To stop the ‘fish-pocalypse.’ It’s this catastrophe that involves overfishing.” Martin Irsch student, Davis: “I want to become an engineer, for aircraft.” […]

January 20, 2013 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Mental illness and juvenile injustice

By Oscar Wright The crisis is devastating and undeniable: An invisible population of youth lingering between the juvenile justice and mental health systems with unprecedented unmet needs. Current studies increasingly validate the fact that 65 percent to 70 percent of youth in the juvenile justice system meet criteria for a diagnosable mental health disorder. According […]

Dealing with alcoholic fallout

Dear Annie: My parents have been divorced for 30 years. Both made mistakes when they were married, but the end was due to my mom’s drinking. Dad provided for me and now takes an active role in his grandchildren’s lives, always making an effort to show up for their events. Mom is a different story. […]

Tuleyome supports Measure I

Tuleyome supports the regional Woodland Davis Clean Water Project to develop and provide a reliable source of surface water to the city of Davis, the university, and the city of Woodland. “Supplying our city’s water by mining groundwater is not sustainable or environmentally responsible. It is bad for the residents, can result in permanent damage […]

January 18, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Islamology 101 — few in U.S. would pass course

By Clifford D. May Google “Islamist” and you’ll get more than 24 million hits. Google “jihadist” and you’ll get millions more. Yet I bet the average American could not tell you what it is that Islamists and jihadists believe. And those at the highest levels of the U.S. government refuse to do so. Why? John […]

January 18, 2013 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Kim brothers kept out of view

The issue: Or they could live as ordinary citizens on a collective farm In the Stalinist days of the old Soviet Union, after which North Korea has studiously modeled itself, superseded rivals for leadership abruptly disappeared from public life. Their faces were expunged from Kremlin group photos. Their names were deleted from newspaper and magazine archives […]

January 18, 2013 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Thanks for a bountiful harvest

On Sunday, Jan. 13, Village Harvest Davis did a harvest of approximately 100 orange trees in Winters. We were able to pick 5,600-plus pounds of oranges, which will go to agencies that will feed the hungry in Yolo County. This could not have been done without an incredible amount of work by more than 90 […]

January 22, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

‘Ex’ should mean ‘not anymore’

Dear Annie: I am a senior in high school. My boyfriend broke up with me a month after he went off to college. We had been together for nine months, and I was devastated. He was my first real boyfriend. He treated me well and cried when we broke up. He ended our relationship because […]

DACHA: Sorting the wheat from the chaff

Two headlines on the front page of the Jan. 10 edition of this newspaper had an interesting similarity. A judge OKs an award of $1 million to the pepper-sprayed students of UC Davis. The city has reputedly spent a similar amount over the past 2 1/2 years on legal fees trying to prove David Thompson […]

January 20, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Are we ugly Americans?

Unfortunately this is a common vision about us overseas. My ex-girlfriend’s father served in Hitler’s army during World War II. He told me that “I was hoping to get captured by Americans rather than Russian.” Those days even our enemy respected us for being good people. Today this vision has been reversed. New Year’s Day […]

January 18, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,