Separated by weight loss

Dear Annie: My parents and siblings often complain that they can’t lose weight. However, they douse their food in salt and sauces, drink alcohol before bed, and have no qualms about pulling out the potato chips or chocolate candy. I used to be like them, but I’ve lost a great deal of weight and feel […]

Consider innocent family victims

I am very concerned and actually disgusted with the way The Enterprise reported on Stephen Coffeen’s legal issues. Please take into consideration that this issue has real implications to family, friends, co-workers and neighbors. This is not a tabloid story about some high-profile celebrity who should expect media attention, but a real-life story with a […]

August 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Don’t attack the messenger

In a letter to The Enterprise published July 14, Keith Redenbaugh questioned my honesty and said I had insulted Gabe Lewin, author of an April 3 Enterprise guest opinion article defending Monsanto. If the list Redenbaugh reviewed was of speakers at the 1975 Asilomar conference, I’m not listed. The great majority of participants were not […]

Proponents misled the public

For years, Tuleyome touted the Berryessa Snow Mountain National Conservation Area as a mechanism to help get more grant money to the region. Recently, Congressman Mike Thompson and Sen. Barbara Boxer both introduced bills in Congress to make this region a federal National Conservation Area. But the most astonishing thing about the legislation and Tuleyome’s […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House of Representatives Rep. […]

August 05, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

What do you think … What has been your favorite Olympic moment so far?

Alex Tibbitts student, Davis: “Watching ping-pong and realizing ping-pong was an Olympic sport.” George Tibbitts student, Davis: “The two-on-two beach volleyball. They really came through. Go U.S.A.!” Toby Scokol nurse, Davis: “The first women’s soccer game when they won 4-2. They were behind in the first five minutes and came back.” Harry Gebhardt clerk, Davis: […]

August 05, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Iran’s navy eyes Atlantic presence

The issue: Middle East nation tries to goad Americans Last September, Iran’s top naval commander warned in a speech that his country planned to send military ships near U.S. sea borders. “Like the arrogant powers that are present near our marine borders,” Rear Adm. Habibollah Sayyari said, “we will also have a powerful presence close […]

August 01, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Prosperity will return in 2013

“We have put in place what is, is just simply the biggest, boldest recovery package in history, right; the stimulus package, biggest ever; the financial rescue, absolutely comprehensive; a housing plan — that is incredible medicine for the economy. And we fully expect it to work.” — Christina Romer, March 15, 2009 The question is […]

August 01, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Facing resistance to the big move

Dear Annie: My boyfriend and I informally agreed to move in together once I’m out of college and he is in grad school. Right now, we have a long-distance relationship. Here’s the problem. I recently found a two-year MFA program overseas that I’ve fallen in love with. I told my boyfriend that I’d like to […]

Abandoned for the Internet

Dear Annie: My husband spends too much time on the Internet and then gets upset when I say so. Several months ago, I caught him talking to a woman online, and I’m worried it’s happening again. In spite of my suspicions, however, when I’ve checked his activity, I see nothing. (I realize he could be […]

Fair’s animal nursery is lacking

Re: Your July 20 article, “Fun is born at the California State Fair” Fun for whom, pray? Certainly not the baby calves who are separated from their mothers at birth, never allowed to nurse, stressful to mother and baby alike. Even less fun for the pregnant sows in those godawful farrowing crates, confined for three […]

August 07, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Golf tournament hosts grateful

OUR THANKS The Soroptimist International of Greater Davis club members would like to thank the following sponsors for their support of the club’s 18th annual benefit golf tournament, held July 21: First Northern Bank, Tandem Properties, Doug Prichard, State Farm Insurance, Yolo Federal Credit Union, Doug Arnold, Coldwell Banker Real Estate, Gene Plevyak, Scott R. Vinson […]

August 07, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Thanks for fundraiser support

Many thanks to Elisabeth Sherwin at the International House, The Davis Enterprise, Bob Gomes of www.iwork4wine.com and the dessert-makers for their enthusiastic support of our July 12 fundraiser for the Richard Hiroshi O’Brien Appleseed School in Lukhasa, Zambia. The International House Community Room was the perfect setting for this event, The Enterprise pre-coverage exemplary and the […]

July 31, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,