Prop. 31: local control, accountability

Local support Proposition 31 has been endorsed by the local group Saving California Communities as well as the Yolo County Board of Supervisors; Davis Mayor Joe Krovoza and Council members Dan Wolk, Lucas Frerichs and Rochelle Swanson; Davis Board of Education members Susan Lovenburg and Sheila Allen; and state Sen. Lois Wolk By Jim Mayer As […]

October 17, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Chavez wins third term in Venezuela

The issue: Anti-U.S. leader plans to forge ahead with his ‘Bolivarian’ revolution Hugo Chavez has won his third presidential election in Venezuela, thanks to his customary generous spending on the poor in advance of the vote. Even though he won by a 10 percent margin, it is less than the anti-U.S. strongman is accustomed to […]

October 17, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Can’t imagine what’s wrong …

Dear Annie: I am a 64-year-old man in excellent health. The problem is, I never have had much luck with the ladies. I adore all kinds of women: tall ones, short ones, average ones and even plump ones. The only ladies I do not find attractive are the grossly fat ones and those who smoke, […]

A grand time was had by all

Thank you to the Davis community and The Davis Enterprise for helping International House Davis celebrate “unity in diversity” at our second International Festival held at the Veterans’ Memorial Center on Saturday, Oct. 6. We believe more than 3,000 people attended in the course of the afternoon to see live music, dance, performances from around the […]

October 16, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Re-elect Lovenburg, yes on E

We have known Susan Lovenburg since our daughters — now graduated from college — were in grade school together. Susan was responsible for getting us into volunteering at the schools years ago and more recently helping us understand the true nature of school funding in the state of California. If you haven’t had a chance […]

October 17, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Elect Peterson to school board

I have two young kids, a preschooler and a first-grader. Like many families with young children, we are just beginning the journey into the Davis school district. I have been attending school board meetings for four years, bearing witness to the projections (and the reality) of the district’s cash reserves plummeting to near zero. School […]

Susan’s committed to all students

I have had the privilege of serving as a board member of Yolo County CASA alongside Susan Lovenburg for the past three years. CASA trains and supports community members to serve as mentors and advocates for youth in the foster care system. Susan joined the board during a difficult time for the organization and contributed […]

Want the best? Vote Lovenburg

In the spring of 2011, after nearly 22 years as a parent in our school district, the last of our three children graduated from Davis High School. I looked forward to passing the volunteer and school booster batons on to other parents. But more than a year later, I still care — and I still […]

Peterson’s an experienced leader

I became acquainted with Nancy Peterson when we served together on the Superintendent’s Parent Advisory Committee. I admire her deep understanding of the issues facing the school district and her dedication to working hard for the children of Davis. Nancy was one of the few parents on SPAC who had served on a School Site […]

Yes on E, yes on Granda

I’ve known Jose Granda for several years with our mutual involvement in a local Boy Scout troop. He is a highly intelligent and caring father. He is not afraid to voice an intelligent argument or question the status quo. Dr. Granda helped lead a major effort, in coordination with the UC Davis Engineering Club and […]

Commentary was divisive

I have been a resident of Davis for the past eight years and have always been very proud of this community. However, the recent public discourse surrounding the cancellation of Emerson Junior High’s production of “A Christmas Carol” has left me deeply saddened and disappointed. More than anything else, I feel that what Davis has […]

October 19, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Vote no on Measure E

Enough is enough!  The Davis public school bureaucrats, after having pushed through four tax increases — Measures Q, W, A and C, to transfer $520 annually from Davis families to themselves — are now at the trough again on E demanding more. Measure E would charge Davis homeowners $204 annually plus $242 more if a state tax does […]

Munn, for good government

Here’s my take on the choice between Mariko Yamada and John Munn for the 4th Assembly District. If you are happy with our highly dysfunctional state Legislature, vote for Yamada and the status quo. If you’d like a well-functioning state government, vote for John Munn for California Assembly. I voted for Munn because I believe […]