Booze tearing them apart

Dear Annie: I have been married to “Bart” for 21 years. I knew he had issues with alcohol. He has a pattern of getting sober for a few years and then relapsing over and over. He is truly a wonderful guy, but when he drinks, he’s like a different man. I feel as if I […]

Measure I cost vs. benefits

Measure I is necessary to ensure a cleaner, reliable, long-term water supply. The broadly representative citizens on our Water Advisory Committee (WAC) unanimously agreed (10-0) that Davis must add surface water. Our City Council unanimously approved (5-0) this project as the best fiscally and environmentally sustainable solution. Environmentalists, seniors, school leaders and the business community […]

January 13, 2013 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

We’re fine without it

The City Council argument in favor of the Woodland-Davis Project misrepresents the facts. Davis’ groundwater has not deteriorated in quality or quantity. Our water is becoming softer as the city has added deep wells. Davis meets all current water quality standards, and we should be able to comply with future discharge requirements without surface water. […]

City needs long-term water solution

The Davis-Woodland Water Supply Project will provide our city with a long-term, sustainable supply of clean water. It will draw new surface water from the Sacramento River to supplement our existing groundwater supply, providing higher quality water to customers in Davis and Woodland. The city of Davis has always relied solely on groundwater. Over time, […]

Costly, unfair and hasty

Every community deserves clean, reliable, affordable water that is paid for equitably. Unfortunately, the project proposed by Measure I fails to deliver that. * It’s too expensive. By 2018, single-family water bills (18 ccf) may reach $137/month, more than triple current rates, giving Davis among the most expensive water statewide. Annual utility bills will likely cost […]

How’s this remedy for dangerous cell phone use?

Last week on Facebook I ran into a post by a person in crisis. I don’t know the individual, but her situation was distressing. “Marie” and a male companion were completely stopped at a roundabout on a road into Aspen when they were hit at 45 mph by a young female driver who was looking […]

Pain management is the doctor’s job, not the desk monkey’s

Let’s talk about pain. There are three subcategories: Those who cause it, those who endure it, and those who can’t take it. Although I’ve fallen into all three at some point or another (and everyone who knows me is pointing wildly at the first one), it’s number three that I’m concerned about today. On the […]

Family unit breaking down

Dear Annie: Our daughter is going down a bad road, and our 13-year-old granddaughter, “Lana,” is in the driver’s seat. Lana has been diagnosed with ADHD, but since we live in another state, we have no way of knowing whether she’s staying on her meds. I’ve heard from my wife that Lana has been destroying […]

What do you think? What is your favorite word?

Beth Sekishiro campus minister, Davis: ” ‘Bungalow,’ because it’s fun to say.” Jennifer Chen student, Davis: ” ‘Dunno,’ because I say that a lot.” Neil Hollander retired, Davis: ” ‘Hello.’ When you meet somebody, you don’t want to say the other words.” Catherine Stobie student, Davis: “I heard my friend say ‘aardvark’ today. I’m not […]

January 13, 2013 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Moms give babies crucial bacteria

Thanks, moms. Along with all the other nice things they do for babies before and after they’re born, they share bacteria with them. Without a generous dose of common bacteria from mom, babies might starve, be unable to process key vitamins and face problems with their immune systems and brain development. Most healthy adults play […]

Speak out SAVE

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20500; 202-456-1111 (comments), 202-456-1414 (switchboard); fax: 202-456-2461; email: visit http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/policycomments.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3841; fax: 202-228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/e-mail-me House of Representatives Rep. John […]

July 13, 2012 | Posted in Forum

Hagel should win unanimous confirmation

The issue: There’s a lot of work for the new secretary of defense Few presidential nominations have been as widely telegraphed as Barack Obama’s nomination of former Nebraska GOP Sen. Chuck Hagel to be secretary of defense. THE LEISURELY process had the advantage for the administration of getting an advance look at the likely opposition, […]

January 13, 2013 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Soul-searching after DACHA settlement

It was with great interest and grave concern that I read the Jan. 10 Davis Enterprise article “DACHA settlement reached.” The words that gave me pause were from a co-owner of Neighborhood Partners, DACHA’s original developer. The co-owner was quoted as saying, “I think we’re glad to have been able to reach a settlement with […]

January 15, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Do we need Measure E, too?

A slightly new School Board has been sworn in. They have major challenges ahead to make education of the children their first priority. They also have a duty of sound financial responsibility to the taxpayers. The election is over but not the issues. Proposition 30 makes $6 billion available for schools, fulfilling the State of […]

January 13, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,