Already forgotten your resolutions? You’re not alone

* Editor’s note: Marion is taking the day off. This column has been slightly edited since it first appeared in 2006. An acquaintance of mine got worked up recently when I told him that I didn’t remember what he had written in his book. I’d read it a few years ago and forgotten even the […]

January 06, 2013 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Totally smitten with kittens I discovered online

Today marks seven weeks since Angelo’s passing. A Buddhist friend told me that’s the mourning period for the deceased, after which time, you burn their photograph and release them to the next spiritual plane. Even cats. I’m not a Buddhist, but I found this ritual soothing when Milo passed, and now it’s Angelo’s turn. I’d […]

He wants to bring the kids along

Dear Annie: I am a divorced father of two teenagers. Their mother and I have maintained a good relationship when it comes to raising the children. However, an issue has now come up. Since my divorce, I have enjoyed international travel to the Caribbean. My children have seen many pictures and heard my stories and […]

Water affordability is a city responsibility

By Holly Bishop, Pam Nieberg and Nancy Price Measure I directs the city to pursue the Woodland-Davis water supply project to provide 12 million gallons per day (mgd) of Sacramento River water to Davis and 18 mgd to Woodland. This project uses primarily surface water, but relies on groundwater (conjunctive use) when water demands are highest […]

Time to air the dirty laundry

By Meg Sloss I don’t believe selfishness and greed are intrinsic to human behavior, but rather a distortion of the human spirit brought about by our environment of materialism. That being said, I am saddened and angry about the loss of the Wash Mill, which has been pushed out of tenancy at the Davis Manor […]

What do you think? What question would you ask the president?

Nina Amenta professor of computer science, Davis: “Why the heck is not doing more on climate change?” Diego Isais student, Davis: “Could I borrow $500,000?” Richard Elmgren retired, Davis: “What did he do to the republic?” Tyler Jones student, Davis: “What he’s planning on changing about his last term as far as how the economy […]

January 06, 2013 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Sandy shows that power’s more vital than ever

The issue: When electricity and cell networks go out, we’re no longer connected When Hurricane Sandy struck, it left hundreds of people dead in flooded and wave-washed communities — and it caused power outages that cut off crucial communications for hundreds of thousands more. Lost access to cell phones, the Internet and cable television added […]

January 06, 2013 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

A neglected concern for canines

Leptospirosis is not a disease that is commonly seen in dogs in our area of Northern California, so it may be easy to overlook this disease when choosing which vaccines to give a dog. But despite its lack of epidemic status, leptospirosis is out there and all dog owners should be aware. Leptospira interrogans, the […]

Can’t deal with her attitude

Dear Annie: My sister-in-law, “Nina,” is my husband’s only sibling. She is divorced with grown children. Nina appears to be sweet to most people, but she can get pretty ugly, especially when she drinks. She has ruined more than one occasion with her offensive outbursts, often directed at members of my family. She says these […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; 202-456-1111; fax: 202-456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3841; fax: 202-228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House of Representatives Rep. John Garamendi (3rd District), 2438 Rayburn […]

January 06, 2013 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Hypocrisy in the wake of shootings

By Greg Stovall Last year, the equivalent of the entire population of Menlo Park was obliterated on our national roadways. That’s 32,367 people. The victims included more than 750 children under the age of 9, including unborn babies. Also included in that total were grandparents, mothers and fathers, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters, members […]

And a merry time was had by all

On behalf of the Davis High Madrigal Singers, I would like to thank the community for their generous support of the Merry Madrigal Holiday Concert and Sing-Along held on Dec. 2. In particular, the choir would like to recognize those individuals, businesses and organizations whose contributions made this event possible: * Davis Odd Fellows Lodge […]

January 06, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Thanks to ringers and donors

The Davis Salvation Army Committee would like to thank the many folks who helped us earn $19,600 during our annual holiday bell ringing at CVS/pharmacy in East Davis, the Davis post office, The Avid Reader, Davis Ace and Nugget Market in East Davis. The following groups rang for one or more days: Davis Chinese Church, […]

January 06, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,