Stop these illegal detentions

By Claude Garrod We, the undersigned Davis community groups, call on President Obama, our congressional candidate John Garamendi, and our U.S. senators, Barbara Boxer and Dianne Feinstein, to take immediate steps to repeal detention powers under the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal year 2012, which they supported. This act could “give future presidents the […]

June 13, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Keep U.N. hands off the Internet

The issue: If the treaty passes, we should ignore it on the grounds that it violates our First Amendment Here’s a bad idea that keeps recurring: Turn control of the Internet over to the United Nations. A GROUP OF NATIONS, led by the usual suspects — China and Russia — and joined shamefully by Brazil […]

June 13, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Her friend is wasting away

Dear Annie: I know that anorexia is not uncommon in teenage girls, but I never thought I would see the signs in my best friend. “Emmy” always complains about the way she looks and is constantly focused on her weight. She makes sure everyone else eats, but I rarely see her put a bite in […]

Garden Tour a real work of art

The 21st annual Pence Garden Tour on May 6 unfolded into a beautiful event to benefit the Pence Gallery. We are so grateful to the community for supporting this annual celebration of Davis gardens. Garden owners Mary and Dale Brooks, Dr. Don Wilson, Charlene and Dan Simmons, Jenella Loye and Scott Carroll, Jacqueline Gilardi, Spring Warren, […]

June 13, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Kudos to the Food Co-op

I am writing this letter to express my appreciation regarding the extraordinary service recently provided by Sarah Yost of the Davis Food Co-op. In a recent visit to the Co-op I experienced first-hand from Yost her personal friendliness, courtesy and care. In March, the first secretary of the Swiss Embassy of South Korea, a fellow […]

June 14, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Stepping up to help our kids

“Attention, ladies and gentlemen, we have an important announcement to make…” These are the words that start our in-the-moment recognitions for runners who have just completed a half- or full marathon milestone at the 2011-12 Patwin Running Club. The words are sweet music to all of us for their power to inspire and motivate our […]

June 15, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Free bike clinic a big success

Yolo Family Resource Center would like to thank the many people who made the Woodland Bike Campaign’s first free bike clinic at the County Fair Mall this spring a big success. It was made possible by the generous giving of time and encouragement from many members of the Woodland and Davis communities. The transport of […]

June 17, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Thank you for handmade quilts

Clients of CommuniCare Health Centers’ Perinatal Program have again been the honored recipients of handmade baby quilts from Nori Lindberg’s class at Pioneer Elementary in South Davis. The students produced the handmade fringe quilts themselves as part of a yearlong community service project with the help of volunteer parents. Students work in teams to pick […]

June 17, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Clucks galore for 2012 tour

The Davis Farm to School Connection is grateful to the following 2012 Tour de Cluck Clucksters, Coopsters, Cluckers and other individuals who contributed their time, resources, expertise and good humor to create a wildly successful benefit event. We had a blast and hope to see you all again in 2013! Aileen Luo, Alan Bennett, Alan […]

June 13, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

World awaits U.S. leadership

In the current issue of Nature, UC Davis professors Alan Hastings and Geerat Vermeij identify some of the severe changes that will come if we allow our environment to reach a tipping point. Theirs is one of many such warnings from scientists over many years. It is apparent our policymakers will do nothing until we, […]

June 12, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Flag missing at DHS graduation

I was a resident of Davis from 1959 to 1963. I attended my grandson’s graduation ceremony at Davis High School on Friday night. It was a nice ceremony. I do have one question: Where was the American flag? Was this a mistake or the ultimate in political correctness? Jon Green Penryn

Don’t do the unexpected

This is in response to Jason Christian’s letter urging pedestrians to walk on the left side of mixed-use paths in Davis. He mistakenly cites the California Vehicle Code (the CVC applies to roadways, not to paths). The key to traffic safety is: Don’t do the unexpected. Christian correctly notes that almost all pedestrians walk on […]

Committee needs more time

Dear friends and neighbors: Please phone or email Davis City Council members immediately and ask them to vote “yes” on Tuesday to extend the deadline for the Water Advisory Committee to make its recommendations on the surface-water project and a proposed rate schedule. That committee was appointed by a pro-surface-water council majority, and appeared to […]