Who is taking control?

Re: John Gerlich’s response to The Enterprise reporter Tuesday concerning the proposed Senior Citizens of Davis bylaws change, “It’s about the city wanting to control half a million dollars…” The membership of SCD has been rather docile for 40 years. Gerlich’s grab for control energized those who now realize that he has an agenda! They […]

August 17, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Candidates love to tweet, post

By Brandon Waite Savvy politicians and their advisers are often the first to take advantage of new technologies to convert followers into voters. In the 1930s and 1940s, it was radio. In the 1950s and 1960s, television took over. Now in 2012, we have social media, smartphones and tablets. President Obama used social media in […]

August 17, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

From LAX to JFK in 46 minutes

The issue: Supersonic flight offers more than simply time convenience We may be going through one of those cycles where history doesn’t so much repeat itself as pick up where it left off. THE SUCCESSFUL expedition of the Martian rover Curiosity seems to have rekindled our interest in space exploration after first we allowed the […]

August 17, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Talk about being caught in the middle

Dear Annie: Many years ago, my husband, “Sam,” and I divorced. I started seeing someone else and became pregnant. That man left me, saying he didn’t want more children. Sam and I began dating again, and he said we could remarry if his name went on the baby’s birth certificate. The biological father didn’t care, […]

Where are anniversary rites?

Here, again, comes the anniversary of the end of World War II, and again I haven’t heard of a public celebration planned in our region. Vividly I remember how all Americans ran onto the streets berserk with jubilation and relief on Aug. 14-15, 1945, as word got around. The Japanese Imperial High Command had finally […]

August 16, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Enroll in Chinese 1 at Holmes

Chinese 1 will be taught at Holmes Junior High this fall. We would like to encourage junior high and senior high students with or without prior Chinese language experience to enroll in Chinese 1 at Holmes. Future instruction of Chinese language in Davis public schools may depend on the success of Chinese 1 at Holmes […]

Dropout report still has holes

A combination of computerized tracking and public pressure have joined to make reporting of school dropouts in California the best in America, but those reports are still not good enough. For sure, we now have a more accurate idea of how many students drop out of school before they finish the 12th grade — in […]

August 16, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Sweden touches a nerve in Belarus

The issue: It’s progress that a European conflict is being fought with words and teddy bears instead of guns and bombs If it were not for the misery inflicted on its 9.5 million people, Belarus would be worth preserving as a living museum of communism’s failures. IT BECAME independent following the breakup of the Soviet […]

August 16, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

He can’t let go

Dear Annie: I left a relationship of six years when my boyfriend became physically and emotionally abusive. We have two children together. With my children’s well-being as my first priority, I decided to stay in the same town so they could have full access to their dad. Here’s the problem: My ex keeps trying to […]

Sex, movie stars, disease

After three or more years of shacking up with “Twilight” co-star Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart was caught “cheating.” Robert and much of the nation were shocked. Robert demanded that Kristen vacate the mansion. A line from Beyonce’s “All The Single Ladies” seems appropriate, “If you liked it, you should have put a ring on it.” […]

August 23, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Presidential race: The fix is in

In boxing, when one boxer loses on purpose to the other boxer, the phrase is “the fix is in.” It appears that “the fix is in” in the presidential race. At least that’s a plausible explanation for Mitt Romney’s self-destructive behavior. The question is, if the “fix is in,” what does Romney get out of it? […]

August 17, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Vote no on Proposition 32

I urge all California voters to vote no on Proposition 32 on Nov. 6. This measure bans unions and corporations from using payroll-deducted funds for political purposes. Sponsors praise Prop. 32 as a good government measure designed to keep special interest money out of California politics that impacts corporations and unions equally. It does not. […]

August 23, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Coyote warnings are true

I must comment on a message to Bob Dunning from Keith, who stated that it is myth that coyotes kill for the killing. Keith further states that he essentially has valid information that coyotes only kill to feed themselves and their pups. Try telling that to the hundreds of sheep ranchers across the western United States. […]