Council needs to clean up DACHA case

By David Thompson What are city of Davis staff members are doing with our public funds down at City Hall? I ask the newly seated City Council to rein in city staff, stop the waste of public funds and investigate the charges we submitted to the California attorney general concerning DACHA, the Davis Area Cooperative […]

September 16, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Rise in health premiums slows, still hurts

Family health insurance premiums went up an average of 4 percent this year, according to a new survey of more than 2,000 businesses released this week. That seems like good news when you consider that health-coverage costs were increasing by double digits a decade before. But the news is a bit less thrilling when you […]

Friend brings problems along

Dear Annie: I am a teenager in high school with two close friends, “Emma” and “Vienna.” Emma was recently diagnosed with OCD and bipolar disorder. Ever since the diagnosis, there have been many conflicts. Emma is now really sensitive, and if Vienna or I say anything even mildly offensive, she gets super-angry. This past summer, […]

Justice must be done following diplomats’ deaths

The issue: Ambassador Stevens and his embassy staff deserve our best North Africa and the Mideast are notoriously volatile regions, prone to periodic spasms of violence. One of those spasms claimed the life of one of our most skilled ambassadors to the region, J. Christopher Stevens. At 52, he was an Arabic-speaking veteran of two […]

September 14, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Tell governor not to sign bill

Those living in Mariko Yamada’s Assembly district should be aware that her vote made it possible for the Assembly to approve legislation regarding water and shade requirements for farm employees that, although modified in the Senate, set in motion legislation on Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk that threatens the viability of farmers in her district, particularly […]

September 14, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Why space for a ‘9/11 truther’?

Has the staff at The Enterprise completely lost its collective mind? You could have basically ignored the anniversary of 9/11; that seems reasonable 11 years later. Or you could have run something about all of the soldiers killed in combat since then. Perhaps a column or letter about the number of casualties in Afghanistan since […]

September 16, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

We must stand united

The killing of Ambassador Chris Stevens and other Americans is shocking to me and every peace-loving person. Killing of any innocent person is prohibited in all religions. Libyans loved Stevens and considered him their hero as he helped them to remove Moammar Gadhafi from power and gain their freedom after 42 years of iron-fisted dictatorship. […]

In honor of the peacemakers

On Tuesday, as with every anniversary of 9/11, my family and I flew our American flag in remembrance of those who lost their lives 11 years ago and those who carry on. As I was about to fold the flag again for storage, I learned that U.S. Ambassador J. Christopher Stevens and three others had […]

It’s all about quality teachers

By Nicholas D. Kristof The most important civil rights battleground today is education, and, likewise, the most crucial struggle against poverty is the one fought in schools. Inner-city urban schools today echo the “separate but equal” system of the early 1950s. In the Chicago public schools where teachers are now on strike, 86 percent of […]

September 14, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Mother becomes more abusive

Dear Annie: My mom is 67 and pure evil. She manipulates her doctors, who don’t know the real truth. I’ve tried to remain patient and respectful, to no avail. My mom has pushed everyone away. She has no friends. Since my father died, she’s become severely depressed. I’ve supported her and stood by her after […]

Heartfelt support to unclog your arteries

The issue: Make a personal resolution to reduce your bad cholesterol This could be a special month for more than politics and sports. It also could be the month of a special personal resolution — to reduce your bad cholesterol. IT IS CHOLESTEROL Awareness Month as per the U.S. Society for Vascular Surgery, whose members […]

September 13, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,