Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; 202-456-1111; fax: 202-456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; 202-224-3841; fax: 202-228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House of Representatives Rep. John Garamendi (3rd District), 2438 Rayburn […]

January 09, 2013 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Pay now, or pay more later

Davis is no exception to the California tradition of putting off difficult water decisions to get by as problems worsen and become more expensive. Since the 1950s building of Lake Berryessa, Davis has passed up promising but inconvenient long-term water supply solutions, and now finds that expenses have grown and are likely to worsen. Davis’ […]

January 09, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Still cronyism with hydrogen fuel

Six months after pulling back about $12 million worth of grants to help build refueling stations for the hydrogen fuel cell cars due to debut by 2017, the California Energy Commission is ready to take applications for new grants. The problem: Revised rules issued by the commission appear at first glance to cut out the […]

January 09, 2013 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Don’t hamstring federal safety officials

The issue: Consumer Product Safety Commission needs legal authority to share information with foreign governments Remember those lead-tainted toys from China? Or the Florida condos built with thousands of sheets of foreign-produced drywall allegedly made of toxic materials? IT TURNS OUT Uncle Sam has tied one arm behind his back when it comes to keeping […]

January 09, 2013 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Not the reunion she expected

Dear Annie: I am a 50-year-old adoptee. About 10 years ago, I was finally able to locate my biological mother. It took me months to work up the nerve to phone her, and the call was a nightmare. Her first words were, “How did you find me? I was told nobody would ever know.” That […]

January 08, 2013 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Different views of deficits

Because Republicans claim deficits are terrible, you would think that Republican presidents run up smaller deficits than Democrat presidents do. That is not the case. If you look at the record of annual deficits from 1980 up to the start of the Great Recession, you couldn’t spot much difference between Republican and Democrat deficits. The […]

January 08, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Community depends on laundromat

I agree with the feelings behind the commentary by Meg Sloss, on the closing of The Wash Mill in the Davis Manor Shopping Center on Eighth Street. I don’t know if The Wash Mill laundromat actually closed Sunday, or if the lease was extended. I wrote by email to the present mayor, mayor pro tempore […]

Our Little Shop that Could

Thank you for printing Meg Sloss’ op-ed piece, “It’s time to air Davis’ dirty laundry,” on Sunday. I echo Sloss’ sentiments. Despite living in Davis for more than three decades, I can’t remember a time when The Wash Mill hasn’t been quietly doing the business of business, providing a valuable resource for an honest price […]

Car-sharing’s value affirmed

In one of his many recent rants about Zipcar, Bob Dunning noted the irony in its recent acquisition by Avis. There certainly is irony from his perspective. Dunning has long maintained that Zipcar offers a similar though more expensive product relative to traditional rental agencies such as Avis (his favored large corporation of comparison), and […]

January 09, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Aim for a child-centered divorce

By Gillian Brady Divorce filings tend to spike in January following the holidays. Whether this is due to an unhappy holiday season or a conscious decision to wait out the holidays before filing for divorce, more couples begin divorce proceedings in January than in any other month. It goes without saying that the separation of […]

January 08, 2013 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Popping the financial question

The issue: Money is the No. 1 problem in marriages, so we suppose it makes sense to do some research The young woman was musing about a possible long-term relationship with her handsome date when he suddenly popped the question: “What is your credit score?” SURPRISED AND somewhat dismayed, she admitted it wasn’t all that […]

January 08, 2013 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Only a symptom of the problem

Dear Annie: I have been married to “Barry” for 20 years. Even though we live several hours from his mother, she controls many of our family’s decisions. My mother-in-law is our only living parent. I have tried many times to please her, without success. I often have the family over to our home and invite […]

Who’s got the upper hand now?

Dear Annie: My ex-husband and I have been divorced for three years. It was his idea. He cheated on me with several women. His family, however, was extremely cruel, calling me all kinds of names and telling me I was a terrible mother and the worst thing that ever happened to them. Now they won’t […]