What happened to Ollie?

Mary Lee Thomson’s history on Gunrock, the Cal Aggie mascot, and his namesake Gun Rock, uncle of Man o’ War, was very thorough and interesting. It piqued my own curiosity, however, as the name was totally strange to me. I attended UC Davis from the fall of 1954 to June 1956, and periodically thereafter as […]

September 07, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

War-crimes trials proceed at a glacial pace

The issue: International tribunals are the only mechanism for prosecution if the defendant’s home country is uninterested or unwilling Come next month, former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic will have been on trial for war crimes for three years, and no conclusion appears in sight. He and his former military commander, Ratko Mladic, are being […]

September 07, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

1959 murder in Davis remains unsolved

(Officer Douglas Eugene) Cantrill’s body was found Monday night by a young Davis couple. The body, a single bullet wound through the heart, was lying in the officer’s patrol car, parked on a paved road next to a railroad track in a residential section of Davis. The patrol car’s lights were on, the motor was […]

September 07, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Question of ‘better off’ finally gets answered

The issue: As Obama accepts his renomination, he must convincingly promise us we’ll be better off four years from now than we are today A standard line of political attack in economically troubled times has been this question, first sprung by Ronald Reagan in his successful 1980 campaign against President Jimmy Carter: “Are you better […]

September 06, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Lovely, but expensive

Dear Annie: Six months ago, I married a lovely young woman. While we were engaged, “Nina” and I had several candid discussions about finances, figuring that once we married, she would look for a job and we would split the household expenses evenly. Her parents were very generous and gave us a nice amount of […]

Katehi’s biological tin ear

Chancellor Linda Katehi’s patents are in antennas. Agriculture and environmental sciences don’t seem to be areas she likes to talk about; they don’t make her radar screen. College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences Dean Neal Van Alfen was backed into a corner where he was forced to leave, without understanding why. It’s just another public […]

September 07, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Where have the leaders gone?

Personal commendations to Rich Rifkin for his clarity on the issue of holding our elected representatives to account. Too often, our electeds at the statehouse seem to have totally lost touch with the communities and taxpayers they profess to represent. For instance, in their deliberations on SB 2451, did any of our Assembly or Senate […]

September 06, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Why public water service matters

I think it’s about time to set the record straight about what public and private mean when it comes to provision of drinking water service. Why are we discussing this in the first place, anyway? Our policy makers seem to think privatization will achieve efficiency and economies. Nothing could be further from the truth. We […]

September 06, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Out of sync with the voters

Thanks to The Enterprise editor for plain speaking on Sunday when declaring that the “GOP must drop loose talk of war” and “specify exactly which taxes they will raise to pay for future conflicts.” Is there any chance Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan will actually get this message, from The Enterprise, another paper, or the majority […]

Was DACHA a cash cow?

Over the past few years, I have tried to make sense of the DACHA situation — admittedly without much success. But one statement in your Sunday article jumped out at me: DACHA was paying Neighborhood Partners and Twin Pines “… millions of dollars in consultant fees and other costs…” As a resident of a local […]

What’s green about tossing bottle?

Every year, my husband and I eagerly anticipate opening day of Aggie football at Sochor Field. We can’t wait to find out what previously permitted item of football game paraphernalia will be arbitrarily banned with no advance notice. Two years ago, it was low-backed lawn chairs for the end zone. Last year, for no discernable […]

September 05, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

It’s time for school uniforms

I am writing in support of Beth Latimer’s Aug. 28 letter, “What happened to dress code?” She ends her letter about scantily clad high schoolers with a question — “Maybe it is time for school uniforms?” I would like to suggest that the time is right for school uniforms: * Savings on gas — most […]

Iran may have upped the ante in Syria

The issue: The U.S. and other nations may have to rethink their policy of not intervening militarily Last week, French President Francois Hollande called on the fragmented Syrian opposition to unite and form a provisional government in exile. If it did, he said, France would quickly recognize it and presumably so might some other European […]

September 05, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,