Team Davis thanks supporters

Team Davis — our local nonprofit organization that provides children and adults with disabilities with athletic, social and recreational activities — would like to thank the many local businesses, organizations and individuals who have contributed so much to our participants this year. Thanks to Swim America, Davis Aquadarts, Wildhorse Golf Course and UC Davis’ Campus […]

November 11, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Many helped make auction a success

On behalf of the Pence Gallery staff and board of directors, I would like to share our appreciation for the efforts of all the volunteers, artists and sponsors who helped to make our Art Auction event on Sept. 22 a smashing success. The auction event is our largest fundraiser of the year to support the […]

She’s got the money, and she’s going to keep it

Dear Annie: I am one of 13 siblings. Both of our parents have been sick for the past four years. At one time, we had a family meeting, and everyone agreed to pay $20 a week for a caregiver, since we all worked. But slowly, my siblings started to bail out. The first to go […]

Friends of Poor Walk a success

We would like to express our appreciation of the many people and businesses in our community who made the second annual Yolo County Friends of the Poor Walk a rousing success. The walk, which took place Sept. 29, drew more than 100 walkers from Davis and surrounding communities and raised more than $2,000 to provide […]

Tea time is right time for CASA

On Saturday, Sept. 22, the Yolo County Court Appointed Special Advocates program welcomed 65 ladies to an English Tea Luncheon at The Buckhorn restaurant in Winters. In the spirit of the occasion, ladies donned their teatime finery, including pearls, gloves and spectacular hats for a hat parade. Each table had a hostess who provided beautiful […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit House of Representatives Rep. […]

November 11, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Why Obama won re-election

By Jay Feldman The contrast could not have been starker. We first saw it at the party conventions in August, and on Election Night, there it was again. The televised images of the crowds at President Obama’s victory celebration in Chicago and Mitt Romney’s headquarters in Boston said it all. In Boston, the faces were […]

November 11, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Burrowing owl mitigation has failed

By Catherine Portman and Pam Nieberg As many local environmentalists recall, nesting burrowing owls at Mace Ranch were illegally disked into the ground in 2000. As part of the mitigation for this loss, the city of Davis, as the lead agency for the Mace Ranch development project, worked with Yolo County to create a burrowing […]

November 11, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Fewer veterans, but they still seek to serve

The issue: Take time Sunday to honor our nation’s military members For someone to symbolize this Veterans Day, you couldn’t go far wrong choosing Tammy Duckworth, who was elected to Congress on Tuesday to represent Chicago’s northwestern suburbs. Duckworth will become the first female veteran of Iraq and Afghanistan to serve in Congress. She was […]

November 11, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

What do you think? How has a veteran impacted your life?

Laura Blyth homemaker, Davis: “My dad is a Korean War veteran and he’s benefited from the GI Bill and benefits, because it allows him to live in assisted living.” Alex Messbarger Air Force load master, Davis: “My grandpa; he was in the Navy and he’s actually a huge role model. I’m in the Air Force, […]

November 11, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Number of people with high blood pressure unclear

By Lee Bowman There’s little doubt that we’re a hyper nation. As in hypertensive. But just how many Americans have blood pressure well outside the normal ranges — and how many of them have the condition under control — remains a bit uncertain. Normal blood pressure lies anywhere at or below 120 over 80 millimeters […]

What’s bugging this family?

Dear Annie: I often feel sharp bites like pinpricks on different places of my body, especially at night. At first, it happened only in the bedroom, but now I get them while sitting in my family room and even in my car. I thought it might be bedbugs, but an exterminator ruled that out. He […]

Still angry about Co-op decision

Recently I’ve become unhappy, to the breaking point, with American democracy and have wondered what I could do about the mess it is in. I then realized that I have been participating in that mess and that I could make a small step toward correcting it. The letter below shows what I did. I encourage you […]

November 09, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,