Not traveling, or talking

Dear Annie: I am no longer speaking to my best friend of more than 20 years. I thought “Katie” and I were friends for life. She is even godmother to my daughter. Two years ago, we invited Katie and her husband to my 50th birthday party. My husband offered to let them stay with us […]

Rotary is ‘service above self’

By Bud Wolf How many of you know what Rotary International is and does? Rotary is the largest and oldest service organization in the world. It is composed of 1.2 million members in more than 170 countries. It is apolitical and nonreligious. There are more than 32,000 clubs, and the basis for all Rotary action […]

August 14, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

It’s getting hotter and hotter

The issue: The toastiest month on record brings unfortunate side-effects, including the worst drought in 25 years We’ve just lived — or, more accurately, sweltered — though the hottest month in U.S. history. The average July temperature in the contiguous 48 states was 77.6 degrees F, 3.3 degrees above the 20th century average for the […]

August 14, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

There’s only one way he’ll listen

Dear Annie: My brother, “Luke,” recently returned to our hometown. Since he’s been back, all he has done is drink beer. He has made no effort to find a job. I love him, but it is quite obvious that he’s an alcoholic. When Luke lived here 10 years ago, he was constantly intoxicated. When my […]

What did she witness, exactly?

Dear Annie: Last month, I took my grandkids to a water park. While I was watching the crowds, I noticed a man with a boy who looked to be around 12 years old crouched behind a picnic table. They looked as if they were waiting for someone to come by so they could jump up […]

The worst of the best is still far better than most of us

So, by the time you read this, that weird flaming Olympic torch-blossom has surely been extinguished, and the athletes have headed home to their jobs at McDonald’s and Holiday Inn, or whatever the equivalent of those are where they live, and I’m probably feeling a bit sad and empty. Yes, I admit it. I got […]

August 12, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Book speaks to the young, and maybe me

* EDITOR’S NOTE: This column first ran in 2005. I recently read a novel that I should have read 35 years ago. Unfortunately, when I was young enough for this book, the author was young, too, and hadn’t written it yet. If I had read “The Alchemist” (1988) when I “should” have, I wouldn’t have the love-hate […]

August 12, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Absence makes heart grow … doubtful

Dear Annie: I’m a college student and only get to see my long-distance boyfriend once every four or five weeks. We’ve been dating for more than 18 months. Assuming we stay together through grad school, we will have dated longer than six years before we have the chance to live together. Since I haven’t spent […]

August 11, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

GMO pros outweigh the cons

I am flattered to be the subject of a debate between Professor Doug Graves and Keith Redenbaugh. I was wrong to claim that Roundup is not harmful to frogs, and to make the statement that Roundup is nontoxic. So, no, I would not want to down a cup full of Roundup! What I should have […]

August 15, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Love the Gallaudet column

I am grateful to my friend Lynn for pointing out  Bruce Gallaudet’s outstanding Davis Enterprise column, “Second Amendment needs reworking now,” (Aug. 3, 2012). This thoughtful, well-researched and courageous piece deserves wide reprinting or reposting (it’s on my Facebook page). One of the fine points Bruce makes: “My sportsman friends do not see greater gun […]

August 14, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Cost does not equal value

Rather than thinking about the cost of storing spent nuclear fuel, it’s best to consider the value of the spent fuel which nuclear engineers estimate at over $50 trillion. Spent nuclear fuel contains about 99 percent of its original energy. Fourth generation nuclear reactors, like the Integral Fast Reactor, use the spent fuel to make […]

August 14, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Too much iced tea linked to kidney stones

As much of the nation gasps through the last steamy hot days of summer, there’s mixed scientific reviews for some of the season’s pleasures and dangers. First, let’s talk iced tea. People gulp it down this time of year. But researchers at Loyola University of Chicago point out too much of the brew can boost […]

Board lacks understanding

We attended a town hall meeting at the Davis Senior Center on Aug. 4 in an effort to become informed relative to the proposed changes in the current Senior Citizens of Davis (SCD) Bylaws. These changes have generated great controversy. Many concerns were expressed by attendees but most shocking to us was when a board […]

August 12, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Rise in independent voters imperils moderates

By Ann McFeatters A record number of us now say we are political independents, swiveling our heads right and left as we watch the Democrats and the Republicans try to govern — and fail. Forty-four percent of Americans insist they are neither Republican nor Democrat, according to Gallup polling. That is about nine points higher […]

August 12, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,