Was DACHA a cash cow?

Over the past few years, I have tried to make sense of the DACHA situation — admittedly without much success. But one statement in your Sunday article jumped out at me: DACHA was paying Neighborhood Partners and Twin Pines “… millions of dollars in consultant fees and other costs…” As a resident of a local […]

September 06, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

What’s green about tossing bottle?

Every year, my husband and I eagerly anticipate opening day of Aggie football at Sochor Field. We can’t wait to find out what previously permitted item of football game paraphernalia will be arbitrarily banned with no advance notice. Two years ago, it was low-backed lawn chairs for the end zone. Last year, for no discernable […]

September 05, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

It’s time for school uniforms

I am writing in support of Beth Latimer’s Aug. 28 letter, “What happened to dress code?” She ends her letter about scantily clad high schoolers with a question — “Maybe it is time for school uniforms?” I would like to suggest that the time is right for school uniforms: * Savings on gas — most […]

September 06, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Iran may have upped the ante in Syria

The issue: The U.S. and other nations may have to rethink their policy of not intervening militarily Last week, French President Francois Hollande called on the fragmented Syrian opposition to unite and form a provisional government in exile. If it did, he said, France would quickly recognize it and presumably so might some other European […]

September 05, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Woodland’s committed to project

By Bill Marble and Skip Davies Recent articles in the press regarding the Davis-Woodland surface water project have raised numerous questions. Although Davis continues to work through its decision-making processes, Woodland remains committed to timely completion of the project. We must replace degrading groundwater supplies with higher-quality, treated surface water. There is simply too much […]

September 05, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Setting a bad example

Dear Annie: My husband and I are trying to raise our three children in a traditional, conservative environment, but my in-laws undermine our values. We recently went on a cruise with them, along with my husband’s brother and niece and her live-in boyfriend. At one point, my oldest daughter didn’t feel well, so I took […]

From one loser to the next

Dear Annie: My daughter, “Grace,” is 48 years old and recently divorced from her husband after 23 years of marriage. They have no children. My wife and I liked her husband, but he never wanted to work for anyone. He always thought he could run his own business and could never manage it. After they’d […]

The least relaxing massage, ever

Dear Annie: My friend is a massage therapist. She had been offering me discounted professional massages in her home for months, and I finally took her up on it. The massage was fantastic. Later that night, however, I found many fleabites on my back, arms and legs. I am certain I got them from her […]

Promises of summer: some lost, some found

* Editor’s note: This column first ran in slightly different form in 1999. Here’s what’s worse than New Year’s resolutions. Summer resolutions. They’re worse because, in addition to being doomed to failure like New Year’s resolutions, they’re superfluous. No one asks, “What’s your summer resolution, Marion?” I blame my teachers for the fact that I make […]

September 02, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Would you take a little walk with Cathy and me?

Wanna take a walk with me? Well, virtually, anyway. The Walk to Defeat ALS is on Saturday, Oct. 6, in West Sacramento. As is the case every year, I’ll be away to celebrate my son’s birthday and will miss the event. But not virtually. I’ve joined Cathy Speck’s walking team, the Specktaculars, by donating online, […]

September 02, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

When life isn’t a beach

Dear Annie: For the past three summers, my friend “Don” has spent a few days with me at our family beach house. The second year, he hinted about visiting again and was pleased when I invited him back. Soon, he began referring to “his room” at the beach house and making regular comments about “next […]

A bit of history on Aggie mascot

For several years, I have wondered how the Gun Rock, a thoroughbred aristocrat and uncle of Man o’ War, morphed into the fuzzy blue mustang mascot of UC Davis, most recently seen on the front page of The Davis Enterprise. It’s not the most burning issue of the day, but the type of small puzzlement […]

September 05, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

GATE needs fair access

Thank you, Dr. Jann Murray-García, for your ongoing efforts to help us see more clearly the consequences of current Davis Joint Unified School District policies for the Gifted and Talented Education Program (GATE) testing and enrollment. If the Test of Nonverbal Intelligence (TONI) has been established as an equivalent but less culturally biased test of […]

September 04, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,