Wreath Project a big success

On behalf of RememberAVet.net, we would like to thank everyone who took part in the 2012 Wreath Project at the Sacramento Valley National Cemetery in Dixon. Whether you donated money to purchase wreaths, supported the fundraising events, helped unload the trucks or participated in the wreath-laying event on Dec. 15, we thank you for your […]

January 04, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

It’s easy to donate to research

Many of us are still quite upset about the recent killing of so many innocent children and adults at the school in Newtown, Conn. After that tragic event, I wrote a letter to the editor, “Fund Wintemute’s Gun Research,” suggesting that people upset over the most recent killings consider doing something about it by making a […]

January 03, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Deep gratitude to WAC members

I want to express my deep gratitude to all the members of the Water Advisory Committee (including the alternates). Your committee provided an invaluable public service. Your long hours and focused attention on how to best meet our water needs earned the respect and trust of the citizens of Davis. In addition to the practical […]

January 03, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Expect CEQA changes this year

No law annoys California developers more than the California Environmental Quality Act, and they figure to win at least some changes to its strict 42-year-old rules this year. They almost sneaked through a major softening of the state’s premier environmental law last September in the waning moments of the last legislative session, but were forced […]

January 03, 2013 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Putin bans adoptions by Americans

The issue: New edict badly strains relationship between the United States and Russia The last vestige of hope we had that Vladimir Putin might turn out to be a leader we could work with has vanished. LAST FRIDAY, Russia’s president signed a parliament-passed ban on the adoption of Russian children by Americans. This is not […]

January 03, 2013 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Feeling lost without resources

Dear Annie: I was diagnosed with depression more than 20 years ago. When I was in high school, I was hospitalized for close to a year. Because money and insurance have been sporadic, I have been on and off of medication. Plus, once I get on a good medication, I start feeling that I don’t […]

Singing in the new year

Dear Readers: Happy New Year. We hope 2013 will be the best year ever for each and every one of you. May you be blessed with good health, close family, kind friends, love and laughter. We hope you will make this the year you vow to be kinder and more compassionate so you can help […]

As new year dawns, a look at the future

The issue: Impressive technologies could lead to ‘smart cities,’ personalized medicine A little-known spy agency has hoisted a crystal ball to gaze into the future, determining how new technologies could lead to everything from precisely managed smart cities, to battery-powered exoskeletons helping grandma get around, to time- and money-saving personalized medicine. The possibilities outlined in […]

January 02, 2013 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Our long and winding road to bankruptcy

Every long journey begins with a single step. In 2001, for the benefit of union firefighters, Davis started down its perilous path toward penury. With no sustainable income to pay for its profligacy, the City Council doubled the value of fire employee pensions, even for those who were less than a month from retirement. The […]

January 02, 2013 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Grateful to Whole Foods

As chairwoman of Davis Farm to School, I wish to publicly thank Whole Foods for the outstanding gift it provided us on Wednesday, Dec. 5. Not only did the new Davis store provide our group with 5 percent of its gross proceeds for the day, but offered us opportunities to chat with customers as they […]

January 02, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Madrigals offer dinner thanks

The 44th annual Madrigal Dinner, held at the University Covenant Church on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1, was, once again, a resounding success. The sellout event could not happen without the tremendous support of the Davis community. The Davis High School Madrigal Singers would like to thank: * University Covenant Church, and especially Dotty Dixon, […]

January 04, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Class of ’63 Devils sought

We are in the process of planning our Davis High School Class of 1963 reunion. We are looking for the following classmates: Annie Asmar, Harmie Logan, Don MacGillivary, Margaret Martin (Vanloy), Charles Orr, Carla Ravetto (Meyer), Jim Snoody Sweeney, Donna Torguson (Singleton), Larry Wells, Margery Stocking, Susan Yamada (Uyamoto), Don Peters and Kathryn Whipple. If […]

January 02, 2013 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,