U.S., Iran raising stakes in Persian Gulf

The issue: American military buildup isn’t just for show The latest and strongest U.S.-backed European Union sanctions on the sale of Iranian oil took effect last week, and just days later, Tehran admitted the sanctions were hurting. The effects were seen immediately in rising prices and dwindling stocks of foreign currency. IRAN’S PRESIDENT, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, […]

July 11, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

He doesn’t need her along

Dear Annie: My husband, “Kevin,” and I have been together for nine years. Every summer, Kevin used to go to the beach for a week’s vacation with a family he was close to. The entire group numbered about 15 people. Three years ago, Kevin told me he wanted to start taking vacations with them again. […]

For safety, walk on the right

We enjoy the multi-use paths in Davis either as pedestrians or bicyclists on a daily basis and believe the majority of users follow the logical pattern of walking and riding on the right. Perhaps more signage would make this clear to everyone, since there are occasional signs that state “keep right.” In addition, there is […]

July 12, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

A win for the people

California has just won one for the people. In passing AJR 22, California calls on Congress to draft an amendment to the constitution to overturn the Citizens United ruling by the Supreme Court, allowing corporations to use their immense wealth to favor their chosen candidates. When money determines elections, then elections become shams that engender […]

July 10, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Ignoring ‘The Aggie Way’

Congratulations to Terrance Tumey. I wish him luck in his new position as UC Davis athletic director. I followed the process closely as a recently retired UCD staff member who had served on the Athletic Administrative Advisory Committee for six years and the campus for 28 1/2 years. A few things struck me as strange […]

Thanks for supporting farmers

On June 24, Slow Food Davis/UC Davis collaborated with the Community Alliance for Family Farmers and Monticello Seasonal Cuisine to host “Glide Into Summer” at Glide Ranch. This fundraiser with amazing food and music raised money to send nine local Community Supported Agriculture farmers to the upcoming International CSA Conference, which is a pre-conference to […]

Why no academic incentives?

Among the “key components” for a successful athletic director listed by the advisory committee was “maintaining academic integrity” and “embracing the Aggie Way.” Chancellor Linda Katehi describes the newly selected director, Terry Tumey, as “the perfect person to take UC Davis athletics forward.” In his previous position, Tumey won conference honors for “highest academic achievement and community […]

One word — ‘sorry’ — unplugs Pakistani roadblock

The issue: And both sides are promising greater cooperation in counterterrorism If one is to believe the diplomats, all it took was one word from Secretary of State Hillary Clinton — “sorry” — to persuade Pakistan to lift its seven-month blockade of trucks hauling NATO supplies to Afghanistan. HOWEVER, ACCORDING to U.S. officials “sorry” is […]

July 10, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Be a good neighbor at concerts

By Doyle Burnett For those of us who attended Saturday evening’s Lyle Lovett concert at the Mondavi Center for the Performing Arts, we know that we experienced something very special. Lyle and his bandmates worked together flawlessly throughout the 2 1/2-hour performance to captivate the packed house of concertgoers. But, my comments are not so […]

July 10, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

So many social engagements …

Dear Annie: Let me say that I am grateful my parents are alive and well enough to enjoy their grandchildren. However, they expect to be included in everything involving their grandchildren. Each of my children plays a sport (sometimes two) in addition to school plays and recitals. This adds up to multiple events every week. […]

Cutting off the in-laws

Dear Annie: I have been married for 24 years to my high school sweetheart, and we have two sons. For most of this time, I have put up with my wife not allowing any mention of my family or involvement whatsoever in any activities. I don’t know why this is so, and she won’t tell […]

Why would you want to leave this?

Dear Annie: I have been with “Jason” for eight years, married for four. Between us, we have raised five children. The problem is that Jason is controlling and verbally abusive. When we met, I was willing to overlook many things because he was so good to my kids. As a single mother, I needed the […]

Thanks for campaign support

As I prepare to step down from the council this Tuesday evening and to take a much needed break, I want to give my heartfelt thanks to everyone who has helped during this last campaign and also to everyone who has helped in previous campaigns. So many people have worked and supported this seat for […]

July 08, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,