What do you think: What is the best job you have ever had?

Pete Kumler business owner, Davis: “Not having one.” Dee Clark general manager, Davis: “It’s the one I have right now — general manager of Woodstock’s Pizza.” Penny Herbert director at UC Davis, Davis: “Bringing in my grapes.” Denise Owens homemaker, Natomas: “Being a mom.” Simon and Henry De Vere White business owners, Sacramento: “My current […]

September 02, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Understanding new immigration law

By Netania and Raphael Moore President Obama has issued an executive order that may provide relief to those brought as children to the United States illegally, and to those who came properly but whose papers have expired. Though this decision was announced recently, there is already much misconception about it. Let’s examine it a bit […]

August 30, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Social media takes over at confabs

The issue: 15,000 journalists — many armed with just a laptop and an iPhone — are busy in Tampa The Republican National Convention under way this week in Tampa, Fla., is the first such political gathering with blanket coverage by social media; indeed, some enthusiasts are calling it the first convention of the Social Media […]

August 30, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Armstrong no longer is our greatest cyclist

The decision of cyclist Lance Armstrong not to further contest doping charges against him and the decision of the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency to strip him of his seven Tour de France titles, won in the sport’s most prestigious event, leaves behind a sad, sour taste. ARMSTRONG SAID said he was weary of battling the never-ending […]

August 29, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Why Davis Democrats are cowards

Since I first began writing this column in January 2004, I’ve never used it to endorse a candidate for public office. I won’t break that tradition, now. However, I am starting something new, today. I am calling on the elected Democrats of Davis to repudiate our member of the Assembly, Mariko Yamada, and requesting that […]

August 29, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Dancing her cash away

Dear Annie: My 81-year-old mother lives alone, drives her own car and manages her own finances. Between savings, retirement income and inheritance, she is well fixed. What worries me is that Mom has been enrolled in ballroom dance lessons for several years. These lessons are exorbitantly expensive, costing in the six figures annually. There are […]

Another successful shopping spree

The Davis Salvation Army Committee would like to thank the 100 volunteers who donated their time to our annual Childspree. The volunteers chaperoned 100 Davis schoolchildren as they shopped for back-to-school clothes at JCPenney on Saturday, Aug. 11. JCPenney in Woodland opened its doors at 7:30 a.m. for the children and provided free haircuts to […]

August 28, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

I say, ‘Spray, baby, spray!’

They are spraying for mosquitoes again. May I make a few brief comments? This is the season where the wise and neighborly thing to do is to take 10 minutes to examine your yard for any standing water where mosquitoes can breed. Even very small amounts of water are all they need! Articles about bite prevention […]

I still feel for Apple’s workers

I need to respond to the editor’s note at the end of my letter “Apple, invest in workplaces,” published July 11, where the editor mentioned the radio show “This American Life” retracting the episode “Mr. Daisey And the Apple Factory” because of “numerous fabrications.” I do thank the editor for prompting me to spend some […]

August 30, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Scotland trip a big success

On behalf of the Davis High School drama department, I would like to thank the entire Davis community for your funds, love and support that allowed us to perform at the Fringe Festival in Scotland earlier this month. We had the opportunity to present Moliére’s “Tartuffe” four times at Churchill Main, the largest venue for […]

Don’t cross the U.S. military

Whistle-blower Pvt. Bradley Manning has been in military prison awaiting trial for more than 800 days (180 days is usually considered maximum) for his “crime” of leaking military documents. None of the documents was classified although the one, a video nicknamed “Collateral Murder,” was found near classified material. “Collateral Murder” evidently was embarrassing, since it […]

September 05, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

What happened to dress code?

Last week, I dropped my friend off at the Davis High School. It is the first day of school and traffic was extensive. I was sitting in my car and I had the time to notice and be saddened by the clothing that, especially, the young women are wearing to school these days. Freedom of expression […]