What’s driving them away?

Dear Annie: My 21-year-old granddaughter recently confided that she doesn’t attract men and doesn’t know why. It bothers her a great deal. She knows it’s not her looks. She is good looking. She has had some self-esteem issues due to dyslexia and received counseling. ”Kelly” had one relationship that she ended recently due to his […]

The Big Island is a study in contrasts

Before we flew to the Big Island for my nephew’s wedding, I had never been there, but I thought I knew what to expect. From my visits to other islands 25 years ago, I remembered Hawaii as beautiful and exotic with warm seas, nodding palm trees, fascinating volcano hikes and a tropical climate that includes […]

September 30, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Be warned (or not) – this is what ‘crazy’ feels like

* Editor’s note: This column first ran on March 15, 2007. “I remember when, I remember, I remember when I lost my mind … There was something so pleasant about that place… Even your emotions had an echo in so much space … And when you’re out there, without care, yeah, I was out of […]

September 30, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

So many social engagements, so little time …

Dear Annie: For years, I have been attending friends’ weddings, showers, graduation parties, birthday parties, engagement parties and other happy occasions. The problem is, these things require me to give up my time and money. I don’t want to make enemies, but I truly do not care that your great-granddaughter is having a baby. I […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House of Representatives Rep. […]

September 30, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Bill Clinton still the Comeback Kid

The issue: Romney jokes that he may get a ‘bounce’ from former president Former President Bill Clinton is justifiably known for his political and psychological resilience. Not for nothing is he known as the Comeback Kid. BUT WHAT HAPPENED Tuesday at a meeting of the Clinton Global Initiative in New York would have send a […]

September 30, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Bring pond back to health

Several days ago, I was running my dog out by the Northstar Pond.There were several men standing by the pond with clipboards discussing what to do concerning the condition of the pond. I think they were from the Parks Department. Why spend money on doing a study, dredging, emptying or any other over-the-top ideas when […]

October 03, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Help us support foster youths

The Yolo chapter of the California Youth Connection would like to thank The Davis Enterprise for its announcements and picture of our upcoming fundraising event to support Yolo County’s foster youths. We also want to express our tremendous appreciation to the Davis Rebekah Lodge for co-hosting our dinner/fundraiser on Sunday, Oct. 21, from 4 to […]

September 30, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Quality found in supermarket avocados

This is in reponse to Dan Kennedy’s column Wednesday, in which he insinuated that avocados purchased at supermarkets, particularly those on sale, were of questionable quality compared to those purchased at the Davis Farmers Market. I have been purchasing avocados for decades — the variety referred to used to be spelled Haas (after the person […]

October 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

County auditor must be elected

On June 20, The Davis Enterprise reported the five-member Yolo County Board of Supervisors placed a measure on the November ballot to replace an elected auditor-controller with an appointee of their choice. Replacing an independently elected officer — a “fiscal watchdog” — with an appointed director is a terrible idea. We, the citizens of Yolo […]

October 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Traffic danger in Wildhorse

I live in the Wildhorse area in East Davis. At the intersection of Moore Boulevard and Pole Line Road/County Road 102, the allowed speed traffic on the road is 40 mph, posing a danger for drivers wishing to turn from Moore onto Pole Line. Located at this intersection are Nugget Fields, which are very busy […]

Bag ban misses the point

A few days ago, the governor signed SB 1219 by Lois Wolk, which extends the plastic bag recycling program at our local grocery stores. This is the first logical step in dealing with the bigger issue of plastic bags in general. In Davis, local grocery stores provide the only point of recycling for plastic bags. […]

The city that kicked the hornets’ nest

Our family’s routine was dramatically derailed Wednesday when my husband walked into a nest of yellow jackets on his way to his bus stop. The unfortunate encounter took place on Loyola Drive, right where my children and dozens of Korematsu Elementary children regularly cross to get to and from school. A little investigation also revealed […]