Dealing with a bullying parent

Dear Annie: My toxic mother has put a strain on my family. Two years ago, she got into a fight with my husband, and I sided with him. Life has been a living hell ever since. She constantly calls and leaves horrible messages on our voicemail. She has turned family and friends against us. Our […]

Brain scans give insights into development

Not too long ago, doctors trying to diagnose neurologic disorders like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s could only rely on external symptoms and batteries of cognitive tests. Without a peephole to the brain, only an autopsy could confirm what was actually happening to the structures inside the skull. Four decades of increasingly sophisticated imaging techniques have given […]

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House […]

August 26, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

As Woody turns 100, we protest too little

By Lawrence Downes NEW YORK — In October, the Kennedy Center will throw a centennial party for Woody Guthrie, a star-studded concert with tickets topping out at $175. It will be America’s ultimate tribute to a beloved troubadour. “Through his unique music, words and style,” the Kennedy Center says, “Guthrie was able to bring attention […]

August 26, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Breaking up with my bank

By Judith MacBrine Last week I closed my Bank of America checking account and transferred it to The Golden 1 Credit Union. The week before, I transferred my safe deposit box from BofA to First Northern Bank. As soon as I can claim my last “reward,” I’ll stop using my BofA Visa card. It didn’t […]

Just Us in Davis: Will GATE be Davis’ Watergate?

A brand-new school year and an approaching autumn mark a time for renewal, recommitment and reflection. I wish your children and teens continuing and new cycles of positively affirming relationships with friends and educators. This school year, I hope your children know both great challenge and great success. We are back again to the very […]

Stupidly, Iran restricts female students

The issue: History has shown that one of the surest paths to prosperity and progress in a nation is educating women and improving their access to professions Rarely does a country make a conscious decision to dumb itself down. But it happens. Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge. China during Mao’s Great Leap Forward. Japan under […]

August 26, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

What do you think: What is your best memory of high school?

Prio Hossain student, Antelope: “Prom.” Bejan Alvandi student, Citrus Heights: “Sports-O-Rama. It’s mini (sports) games.” Ivan Shevchyk student, Roseville: “Something called O-Zone. It’s a cheering section for basketball games.” Mary Dolan student, Dixon: “I thought prom was fun.” Natalie Vergara student, Dixon: “Drama class, freshman year.” Aida Orozco prison counselor, Rancho Cordova: “I went to […]

August 26, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

I’ll base my vote on more

I was taken aback by Debra De Angelo’s column, “All you need to know about politics is on your cell phone,” published Aug. 19. In it she states, “For me, the choice in this election is just that simple. Obama makes me feel good. Romney doesn’t.” Apparently, I’m supposed to be more angry about what Mitt […]

August 30, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Astronomers find most massive star generator yet

The issue: The mysteries of the universe are growing even as we learn more Maybe we’re overstating it, but it seems that the more we learn about the universe — and we are learning a lot — it seems the less we know. ASTRONOMERS have discovered a distant galaxy — 5.7 billion light-years fitting anybody’s […]

August 24, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Choose those who support women

Todd Akin’s “legitimate rape” comments were appalling. What’s just as shocking is that Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan basically agree with him. Sure, they are working to distance themselves from Rep. Akin’s comments, but both GOP candidates support a constitutional “Human Life Amendment,” which would ban abortion in all instances, even in the case of […]

August 30, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Don’t pull our rail funding

On a recent trip to Europe, my wife and I purchased a Eurail pass to travel through several countries. We were amazed by the simplicity, timeliness and low cost of traveling by rail. We did not have long waits like in airports, did not have to be frisked and had very comfortable seats. Most all, […]

August 26, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,