NFL must reach agreement with refs, now

The issue: Our professional football players are the best in the world; the refs need to be the best, too Mired in a contract dispute, the National Football League locked out its regular referees in June. The league thought it could rely on less-experienced officials who normally work small college football games. The results so […]

September 26, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Will we be steered to a safer future?

On Aug. 31 about 7:45 a.m. I was riding my bicycle on rural County Road 29, heading east. My round-trip route from Davis and back would have been 15.5 miles. But that Friday morning, a car, also heading east, struck me from behind and knocked me out cold. My ride ended abruptly after only 12 […]

September 26, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Mommy meanest

Dear Annie: When I was little, my mother would insist, “I’m not your mother.” I’d be convinced and start to cry. Then she would say, “I’m just kidding.” As a 6-year-old, I was afraid of the vacuum. She unplugged it and told me it was OK to sit on it. When I did, she turned […]

September 25, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

H.G. Wells’ birthday a time to celebrate sci-fi

The issue: More than any other author, he fueled our fascination in fantasy Few foreign writers have influenced American popular culture as much as Herbert George Wells, who would have celebrated his 146th birthday last week if only he’d actually built a time machine rather than simply written about one. Americans have made uncounted billions […]

September 25, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Bombing Iran is unwise

We hope that there is one issue upon which all peace-loving people can agree: It is unwise for Israel to bomb Iran’s nuclear facilities. There are those who believe Iran’s assertions that they have no intentions of building a bomb, but instead are seeking peaceful nuclear power. Iran has been burned before in trying to […]

September 28, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Calgene credentials questioned

It is time to set the record straight. Belinda Martineau has made a career out of opposing GMO foods, based largely on her supposed credentials and experience at Calgene. As CEO of Calgene for 12 years and as the person directly responsible for the design and implementation of the Flavr Savr tomato regulatory and commercialization […]

September 26, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Lovenburg is a devoted advocate

I’ve known Susan Lovenburg for 10 years, and I’m proud to support her for a second term on the Davis school board. I first met Susan when we had kids in the same first-grade class. Even then, I was impressed by the extent to which she cared about how our schools were doing — not […]

September 27, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Thoughtful leadership for our children

I endorse election of Nancy Peterson to the Davis school board because she has experience and is a consensus-builder. We worked together on the Marguerite Montgomery School Site Council. From that experience, I learned she has integrity, listens to all viewpoints, is methodical in gathering facts, and is fair in making tough decisions. While I […]

Peterson has the dedication

I am supporting Nancy Peterson for Davis school board because of her tireless and deep commitment to the children of our community. I got to know Nancy through our work together on the Blue & White Foundation. While working hard on the stadium project, Hall of Fame and many other BWF matters — often into […]

Dance studio says ‘thanks!’

A heartfelt thanks from all of the families, teachers and students at Applegate Dance Studio to the generous sponsors who contributed to make our 20th Anniversary Summer Premiere Dance Showcase a beautiful and wonderful experience for all. We so appreciate the community support of the following individuals and businesses: Gergely Zimanyi; Law Offices of Chad […]

October 03, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Heart, honesty, intelligence, wisdom

Over the years, I’ve supported many fantastic local leaders, but none as strongly as my choice for Davis school board: Nancy Peterson. She and I have worked together on many formal ventures for kids. She is, without a doubt, an incredible parent leader, but that’s not what this letter’s about. What I share with you […]

September 28, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

The 99% will not go quietly

The use of a chemical spray to disperse college students protesting on the UC Davis Quad was excused last week. There is something criminal in the Yolo County district attorney’s ruling that the pepper-spraying “was necessary” for the police to safely leave the Quad. Shall we just stand by? The Quad is a big, grassy, […]

September 25, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,