Astronomers find most massive star generator yet

The issue: The mysteries of the universe are growing even as we learn more Maybe we’re overstating it, but it seems that the more we learn about the universe — and we are learning a lot — it seems the less we know. ASTRONOMERS have discovered a distant galaxy — 5.7 billion light-years fitting anybody’s […]

August 24, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Choose those who support women

Todd Akin’s “legitimate rape” comments were appalling. What’s just as shocking is that Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan basically agree with him. Sure, they are working to distance themselves from Rep. Akin’s comments, but both GOP candidates support a constitutional “Human Life Amendment,” which would ban abortion in all instances, even in the case of […]

August 30, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Don’t pull our rail funding

On a recent trip to Europe, my wife and I purchased a Eurail pass to travel through several countries. We were amazed by the simplicity, timeliness and low cost of traveling by rail. We did not have long waits like in airports, did not have to be frisked and had very comfortable seats. Most all, […]

August 26, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Treat children with respect

I read with shock Fraser Shilling’s Aug. 15 letter to the editor, ” Police Priorities are Wrong.” His daughter’s 14-year-old friend was dragged away by the Davis police to be shipped to her father in another state after her mother died. The ink was barely dry on the court order uprooting this child from her […]

August 31, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Senior citizens, stay informed

Thank you for your extensive coverage of the senior citizens’ meeting on Aug. 14. The proposed bylaws were unanimously rejected. I was amazed and stunned that the president, John Gerlich, totally ignored the voices and votes of 250 senior members, rejecting the proposed bylaws. What arrogance! On numerous occasions, Gerlich has refused to provide his […]

August 24, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Government provided opportunities

Nothing illustrates the false dichotomy of individual vs, collective effort better than the spectacular U.S. female athletes of the 2012 Olympics. Who can deny that when crunch time came, it was their own muscle strength and grace, in solo or team events, that would win or lose the day? And they won, spectacularly. Yet the […]

August 28, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

40 years of testing? Not!

In reponse to the Chronicle article on Proposition 37: First, there are currently no crops grown in the U.S. “genetically engineered to make them more resistant to invasive weeds,” nor have there ever been. But, as reported in The New York Times (May 3, 2010), since the dramatic increase in agricultural use of the herbicide […]

She’s just not that into him

Dear Annie: I’ve been married for 14 years. The first few, everything was good, and then I stopped enjoying sex. I’ve seen several different doctors and had my hormones checked, and the verdict is that I am in great health for a 39-year-old. I think the main problem is, while I love my husband, I […]

I want to know what’s in my food

Gabe Lewin seems another wide-eyed apologist for Monsanto and its genetically engineered crops. One needs to be wary of questionable assertions followed by exclamation points. How long should we give GE foods to show their “unintended consequences”? They entered our food system 15 years ago. A long time! Indeed, no noses have fallen off. Science […]

What’s wrong with the board?

If the Senior Citizens of Davis board of directors wanted to design a set of bylaws with powers reflective of a dictator, they did a fine job. If they wanted to disenfranchise their membership by the way they dismissed everyone’s concerns, they accomplished that as well. If they wanted to destroy the mutually beneficial relationship […]

August 23, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Taxpayers bullied by measures

Bully. It is a verb, meaning to browbeat, intimidate, hector. Hector, another verb, means to intimidate by bluster or personal pressure. Over the years, bullies have attracted much bad press, and rightly so, for no one likes to be bullied. Yet, over those same years we Davis homeowners have been subjected to such personal pressure. I refer […]

Sacto depot redesign dysfunctional

Planners should be proud of taking a perfectly functional (albeit in need of rehab) Sacramento Valley Amtrak station platform, junking it, and for only a few million of dollars creating a new terminal, which is truly inconvenient for commuters, particularly bike/train commuters. You know, it’s too bad they didn’t have a few more millions to […]

August 29, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Safe water is a human right

Californians are reaching a historic event. Any day, most likely Tuesday, the state Senate will vote on AB 685, the Human Right to Water Act, to amend the state water code. The final vote deadline is Aug. 31. AB 685 is foundational legislation that establishes a statewide policy priority of ensuring that all Californians eventually […]

August 23, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Vote yes on GMO labeling

By Jan Woods In Europe and more than 40 countries worldwide, food corporations are required to label whether genetically modified organisms are contained in the food products they sell to those countries. And yes, you guessed it, the Europeans and others are not buying it, literally or figuratively. The contaminants (viruses, bacteria, new and patented […]

August 24, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,