Faced with a crisis, Congress plans a long vacation

The issue: As automatic cuts loom, lawmakers head home for five weeks As measured by a recent Gallup poll, the U.S. Congress has a public approval rating of 17 percent. It is a dubious honor the lawmakers have worked hard to earn. At the end of the year, the members of Congress will face a […]

July 31, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Parents refuse to fairly treat children

Dear Annie: I am a grown man in my early 30s, and I’m still having problems with my parents. My mother has always favored my older sister, even though my sister has been irresponsible her entire life. She abuses alcohol and drugs, but my mother won’t acknowledge it and blames me for any altercation we […]

July 29, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

For Assad in Syria, end may be in sight

The issue:  It’s now time for the U.S. and its Arab and European allies to help the rebels prepare to establish a new government The Assad family’s 41-year hold on Syria appears to be nearing its inevitable bloody end. Most dictators depart no other way, and it seems clear that time has run out for […]

July 29, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Take time to get the water project right

By Michael J. Harrington, Pam Nieberg and Nancy Price In November 2011, a Davis water referendum successfully qualified for the ballot. If passed by the voters, the referendum would have overturned the City Council’s attempt to replace the community’s existing publicly owned ground water system with a large, expensive and privatized surface water system under […]

Justice for crime victims and society sometimes demands the death penalty

By Jeff Reisig and Guadalupe Diaz There are some murders that are so horrific that we, as a democratic society, have concluded that the death penalty is an appropriate punishment. The voters in California approved of the current death penalty law in 1978. Despite the will of the people, the American Civil Liberties Union and […]

Some reasons for gabbiness

Dear Annie: I read the letter from “Speechless in Omaha,” whose friend, “Sharon,” wouldn’t stop talking. I am a physician and also the mother of an adult son with a serious mental illness. Sharon’s speech is suggestive of “pressured speech,” which is a hallmark of bipolar mania or hypomania. It also could be caused by […]

We need to learn to identify, and help, Third Stage failures

Nothing like a massacre to remind us that we have a gun issue in this country. Sadly, Radical Right and Liberal Left fundamentalists latch right on to that, and rational discussion is drowned out in the fray. Gotta love NPR. They keep trying anyway. Their website has a story by Amy Sullivan, who reports that […]

Focus on Health: Eat Well, Be Well

By Shawn Kramer It’s time to get serious about fruits and vegetables. If the saying “You are what you eat” is true, most of us are guilty of being walking French fries and sugary drinks. Though it might be difficult to admit to ourselves, we need to do better. Why wait until Jan. 1 to […]

The movie versus the real thing

This morning I went for a walk with a friend, perhaps two miles. Although the temperature was perfect and our pace reasonable, my feet got a little sore as they often do. Three months ago, my friend Hieu Dovan, formerly of Davis, walked from southern France to Santiago de Compostela, Spain, 500 miles, and then […]

What can she do to fix this?

Dear Annie: My younger brother, “George,” is on the autism spectrum. He has a friend, “Cindy,” with similar needs. For the past few years, my parents have welcomed Cindy into our home, and now she feels comfortable inviting herself over and doing whatever she wants. This means bossing George around and yelling at him while […]

Lucky to have such caring vets

Recently, our family’s dog, Tessa, whom many of you knew, passed into the great beyond. It was one of the hardest things that has ever happened to me. But as hard as it was, we’re grateful for the kind and compassionate veterinarians and staff we have here in Davis who helped us through it. Tessa […]

July 29, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Where’s the soccer listing?

For years, I have been unhappy with the listings on the radio/TV column, which will never miss any baseball, basketball or football events, but seldom goes beyond that for other sports, even those offered on “regular” TV channels. Now you have done it! For Wednesday, you did indeed list soccer: MLS, on ESPN2, but why […]

July 27, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Get the facts straight

In a curious letter last week (“Don’t throw city money away,” July 18), Michael Harrington takes Mayor Joe Krovoza to task for leading the “The Parking Garage to Nowhere” project. I attended both City Council meetings where this project was discussed and Harrington’s and my memories differ significantly. I remember that Krovoza voted twice against […]

July 27, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,