Cost not onerous when divvied up

Your July 12 editorial, “Now, fun begins with Higgs boson particle,” says that discovering the Higgs particle cost $110 billion.  Forbes says it cost $13.25 billion. I have found no source on the Internet supporting your number. This project was an international effort. If the cost was spread over all the world’s high-income, or developed […]

July 18, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Ideas for strengthening U.S.-Mexico bonds

The issue: Good policies can make our geographic closeness more of a blessing than a curse This year, for the first time in 12 years, Mexico and the United States have presidential elections during the same year, and the occasion gives both countries a chance to improve a vital relationship. MEXICO HAS NOT been an […]

July 15, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Requiem for college life as I knew it

By Bill Maxwell I am fortunate to have had my college experiences during the 1960s and the early 1970s. I am glad I am not attending an American institution of higher education today. I would not do well. Unlike President Thomas Jefferson, who drafted the Declaration of Independence and founded the University of Virginia, I […]

July 15, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Walnut grower: Heat safety bill is unworkable

By Nancy Lea Members of Farm Bureaus throughout California need to know that if AB 2346, a heat safety bill, is approved by the California Legislature and signed into law by the governor, it puts a target on the back of every farmer in the state, with the guns and bullets in the hands of […]

Yamada must stand up for farmers

By Paul Underhill The 8th Assembly District, represented by Mariko Yamada, is a rich agricultural area smack in the middle of two of the most rapidly expanding urban areas in the country — the San Francisco Bay and Sacramento. Numerous successful agricultural enterprises thrive here, and it is an ideal location for dozens of growers […]

What do you think? What should be the new City Council’s top priority?

Winona Wagner UC Davis student, Davis: “More of a bike path on Fifth (Street) and take better care of Putah Creek.” Richard Whittenburg student, Woodland: “Bike safety, because I’ve seen people cut off bicycles.” Tom Gatewood business owner, Davis: “Community growth — represented in both business and residential.” Tracy Disario budget analyst, Davis: “Parking — […]

July 15, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Speak out

President Hon. Barack Obama, The White House, Washington, D.C., 20502; (202) 456-1111; fax: (202) 456-2461; email: [email protected] U.S. Senate Sen. Barbara Boxer, 112 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3553; email: visit http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.cfm Sen. Dianne Feinstein, 331 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, D.C., 20510; (202) 224-3841; fax: (202) 228-3954; email: visit http://feinstein.senate.gov/email.html House […]

July 13, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Put water matter to a vote

The following is an open letter to the Davis City Council: Please do not waste any more of the Davis taxpayers’ money by conducting another Proposition 218 protest system of voting, until the electorate has a chance to be heard at a binding, regular, no-nonsense election. To do otherwise would be foolish. Many of the […]

July 13, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Fair division of responsibilities

Congratulations to the new Davis City Council sworn in Tuesday night. I’ll be responsible for my fireplace and shopping bags. You be responsible for balancing the budget and for providing basic city services. Deal? Thank you Dan, Joe, Rochelle, Brett and Lucas for serving our fair city. Clay Brandow Davis

July 13, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

More moderates? Wait and see

Will the instinct for survival trump ideological purity among California politicians? That’s the major question still remaining about the “top two” primary election system adopted by this state’s voters in 2010, which got its first full-scale tryout in the June primary election. Wolves have been out in force, baying their complaints from the moment the […]

July 13, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Still not where we want to be on jobs

The issue: And disturbing elements are looming on the economic horizon The latest jobless figures are bad news for both candidates, the economy and the American workforce. The unemployment rate for June remained unchanged at 8.2 percent, the U.S. Department of Labor announced last week, making it 41 straight months at which it’s been 8 […]

July 13, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Daughter has had enough

Dear Annie: My mother and I have had a poor relationship for years. She is self-absorbed, demanding and consistently hurtful. She seems to find great amusement in upsetting me and takes every opportunity to do so. On one occasion, I was talking to my family about an individual whom I particularly admired, and my mother […]