Another tech decision becomes very difficult

How can I consider giving up something that has had romantic connections for almost 40 years? And yet, why keep a device that brings me disappointment every single day? My home telephone used to be the source of my favorite phone calls: a long chat with a girlfriend, a catch-up call with my son or […]

October 07, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Look at what I found stuffed in the back of my lingerie drawer

It was just an average, random morning on Facebook, sharing funny but grammatically challenged cartoons and videos of dogs on trampolines, and whipping up pointless arguments with people I neither know nor care about, and something amazing happened. Yes, amazing. Truly. A psychological paradigm shift, sparked by a post from my friend, author Amy Ferris, […]

It’s no party for some people

Dear Annie: My extended family has always been big on celebrating family birthdays for the adults. Celebrations used to include a meal at a restaurant, but as the families expanded, we began celebrating at relatives’ homes with appetizers followed by cake and ice cream. The problem is, these parties always take place at the homes […]

Vandals destroy wildlife habitat

The vandals not only crushed our hearts, they damage our certified wildlife habitat! On Thursday, Sept. 27, between the hours of 7 p.m. and 6 a.m., our habitat was destroyed. We arrived at school on Friday to find our bird bath broken in half on the other side of the pool fence, the hummingbird feeder […]

October 07, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

What do you think: How will you vote on Measure E?

Kyle Monhollen teacher, Davis: “Yes; my wife is a teacher, my children both attend school in Davis.” Heather Riden program manager, Davis: “I’d probably vote for it, (to) support public schools.” Sam Kemp grad student, Davis: “I haven’t decided yet. I just moved, and I’m still just feeling out what local politics are like.” Emily […]

October 07, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Oppose this unfair new tax: Vote no on Measure E

By Jose J. Granda and Thomas Randall Jr. Before you vote on Measure E you should give serious consideration to the following facts and questions: The Davis Unified School District’s 2011-12 budget reveals that the district received $70.3 million in revenue — $8,707 per student — most of it from our state income taxes. The parcel tax […]

Support excellence in education: Vote yes on Measure E

By Barbara Archer, et. al. We are at a crossroads for education in California. Unfortunately, we live in a state that does not fund education well and has been deeply affected by the economic crisis. But we in Davis have always been a solution-oriented band of folks. We have supplemented our public education system going […]

Serial number is key to guard against bike theft

By David Takemoto-Weerts In Brett Johnson’s article about bike theft in The Davis Enterprise on Sunday, Sept. 23 (“Lack of awareness leads to low recovery rate for local bike thefts”), Lt. Paul Doroshov of the Davis Police Department clearly describes the high rate of theft in town and the low incidence of recovery. However, Doroshov […]

We’re in good hands with Lovenburg, Peterson

The issue: The challenges are great, but these leaders are more than capable Who in their right mind would want to be a school board member in California during these challenging times? For the past five years, trustees across the state have been forced to slash programs, jobs and facilities in their school districts due […]

October 07, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Fighting the dry mouth epidemic

With the increase in the elderly population comes an increase in the prevalence of chronic conditions such as hypertension, arthritis and cancer. We are blessed today to have many treatment options that help us combat these conditions; however, some of the available options cause dry mouth, a serious side effect that cannot be managed simply […]

Getting the story straight on Libya

The issue: Our confused response to the tragedy complicated important assessments that are under way In the public relations business there is said to be a maxim for handling disasters: Get the information out right, get it out first and get it out your way. IF THAT FIRST RULE is botched, the other two don’t […]

October 05, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

There must be 50,000 ways to say no

By Mark Braly Has anyone ever read all of the city of Davis General Plan, and its supporting documents, the area specific plans, zoning code, design guidelines and the rest of it? I can think of only one intern, who did it for money. In fact, you don’t have to read much of it to […]

October 05, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,