Tehran sends hazy signals on nuke program

The issue: How President Barack Obama or a President Mitt Romney handles this ambiguous opening from Iran will do much to set the direction of our Mideast policy for the next four years Like the U.S. Congress, Iran has pushed its most pressing national problem until after the Nov. 6 presidential elections. Unlike Congress, Iran […]

November 01, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

John Munn for Assembly

An advertisement supporting Mariko Yamada for state Assembly appeared on Page 2 of The Davis Enterprise on Sunday. It all looked so good; the problem is that reality paints a different picture. In the ad, she touts her support for agriculture, yet in the California Assembly, she backed legislation that would have burdened agricultural operations […]

November 02, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

A leader and a team player

Nancy Peterson really gets the big picture without losing sight of the students. I was very excited to hear that she was finally throwing her hat in the ring for a seat on the Davis Board of Education. What took her so long? I have known Nancy from the early days of Montgomery Elementary School […]

Garamendi deserves re-election

John Garamendi, a proven leader, deserves to be re-elected to Congress. He is a strong supporter of American jobs, agriculture, Medicare and our health care system generally. His opponents have attacked him with gross distortions, yet offer no specific altenatives. Please look at Garamendi’s long record pf public service, and let’s make sure he continues […]

No cost savings will result

I am not sure why the ballot Measure H does not explicitly say it will eliminate an elected office. It says things like combining the auditor-controller/treasurer-tax collector offices and staffing it with an appointee will save the taxpayers money and will make the government be more efficient. I smell a rat when I hear public […]

November 01, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Bite the hand that feeds?

Not too many months ago, Mitt Romney was photographed, as were some wait staff, and recorded at a $50,000-per-plate fundraiser. “There are 47 percent of the people … who are dependent upon government, who believe they are victims … (and) my job is not to worry about those people. I’ll never convince them they should […]

The truth about Garamendi

I have very closely followed John Garamendi’s career since the spring of 1978, when I heard him speak on the Quad at UC Davis. I have always liked what he has done and agree with his stands on the issues. I am very upset about recent hit pieces from his opponent’s campaign, regarding Garamendi’s stance […]

Retain knowledge and experience

We have lived in Davis for 16 years. Our two children attended Chávez, Emerson and Davis High and currently are students at fine colleges — thanks, in large part, to the excellent education they received while attending Davis public schools. We are grateful for the many commitments our community has made to public education. Our purpose […]

Lovenburg, Fernandes earn my votes

Thank goodness that our local citizenry is so engaged that hundreds of citizens felt compelled to write letters to the editor of this newspaper to endorse candidates for the upcoming Davis school board election. Bravo, Davisites, bravo! Leading our public schools in these challenging fiscal times is a thankless and tiring job. I applaud the […]

Garamendi’s broken promises

It’s my turn. I would like to share some of my thoughts about what is happening to our country concerning Medicare and seniors. Throughout the years, prior to my becoming eligible for Social Security and Medicare, I heard many Democrats trying to scare seniors into thinking that Republicans would destroy these programs. As a senior, […]

Take furloughs on non-teaching days

A recent Chamber of Commerce piece strongly supported Davis schools and Measure E. However, one point made was that furloughs affect businesses through parental absences from the workplace and reduced productivity. Also mentioned was the financial burden on parents who have to hire child-care providers or miss work. They also pointed out that furloughs are […]

November 04, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

She can prove it … now what?

Dear Annie: In the 20 years I’ve been with my partner, I’ve had suspicions that he’s cheated. Whenever I confront him, he becomes angry and tries to turn it around on me. I finally decided I had to know, so I bought mini digital voice recorders and left them on in the house whenever I’d […]

Here’s my holiday to-do list

My to-do list: * Watch the movie “For Greater Glory,” by Andy Garcia (on TV); * Vote; * Visit the Davis Cemetery on Sunday, Nov. 11, Veterans Day; * Support Emerson Junior High School’s production of “A Christmas Carol”; *On Thanksgiving Day, be thankful to be an American living in the United States of America! […]

November 04, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Peterson will make smart choices

The upcoming school board election is important for all of our community, not just for those with school-age children. A good public school system is good for our community and society as a whole. A strong public school system helps to create better-educated, more resourceful students, which directly impacts the sustainability and desirability of our community. […]