Driving a wedge between them

Dear Annie: My daughter-in-law is bipolar and refuses to take anything for it. Now her illness is affecting my relationship with my 9-year-old grandson. My husband and I practically raised my grandson until he was 4. Neither parent wanted much to do with him. We clothed and fed him without a stitch of help. A […]

Really, I’m not OK

Dear Annie: I am a 17-year-old who was diagnosed with Asperger syndrome at age 10. My AS is mild and allows me to function better than most. However, I have an individualized education program and access to the learning/emotional support system in my school. Since I have a mild type of AS, my teachers often […]

People are waiting in long lines — for what?

A couple of weeks ago, my husband was surprised by something in downtown San Francisco. While walking to work, he saw about 30 people in the 900 block of Market Street waiting in line. He assumed they were homeless people, lining up for a meal. But when he encountered them again the next morning, still […]

June 24, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Several pounds of prevention with Dr. Oz

So, I was all ready to write about Dr. Oz, and how I can’t decide if I love him or hate him, and right when I thought I just couldn’t stomach one more skin care segment from some B-list celebrity, he does a special on ovarian cancer that’s actually informative, and I’m teetering toward “love” […]

‘So, how’s the cancer going?’

Dear Annie: I am 28 years old, and one of my friends recently was diagnosed with cancer. While I’m thankful to have known several cancer survivors, I am now at an age where some of my childhood playmates and current peers might be diagnosed with this disease in the near future. How can I best […]

‘Thank-a-Thon’ was a big success

On behalf of the board of directors and staff at Davis Media Access, we’d like to thank the broad cross-section of our community who participated in our May 29 “Thank-a-Thon” in the DCTV studio. Via a live show that was aired on DCTV and simulcast on KDRT, the “Thank-a-Thon” was a fun twist to our annual fundraising campaign. We’re […]

June 24, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Thank you, Fleet Feet

For many, many years, Davis’ Fleet Feet Sports has supported and assisted in recognizing elementary students who participate in school jogging clubs. Fleet Feet has donated T-shirts, water bottles, etc., which have served as “fun” incentives to students in meeting their mileage goals. Pioneer Elementary School’s students, teachers and parents wish to acknowledge and express […]

June 28, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Don’t look the other way

Euthanizing more than 50 percent of the animals at the Yolo County Animal Shelter is atrocious! It saddens me to know that I live in a community that tolerates such activity. Something needs to be done ASAP. A public-private partnership, as suggested in a recent op-ed piece and following letters to the editor, would be […]

Repeal our death penalty

I am grateful to the volunteers in Davis who this past winter collected more than 1,000 signatures at the Saturday Farmers Market and other locations in our city to help qualify for the statewide November ballot the SAFE California initiative, which proposes to replace the death penalty in our state with life without the possibility […]

We need a comprehensive solution on immigration

By Walt Sherwood, Karen Hamilton, Janet Lane, Alison Pease, Linda Sternberg, Lynn Zender and Rick Gonzales In a recent column, Rich Rifkin calls for solving the problem of undocumented immigrants by creating a new class of what amounts to “bonded aliens.” According to his scheme, an employer would post a bond (suggested amount $5,000) for […]

What do you think: What celebrity would you trade places with and why?

Liz Hodges unemployed, Davis: “I don’t know that I would (trade places with a celebrity). I don’t know how to handle their responsibilities. I’m fine with mine.” May Deng graduate student, Davis: “Angelina Jolie. I like her.” Jillian Buckholz program coordinator; Albany, N.Y.: “Kristen Stewart, because she’s with Robert Pattinson, and he’s hot.” Margo Wagner […]

June 24, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged

Sutter Davis donors know: Generosity heals, too

You can help What: Sutter Davis Hospital Foundation’s “Pathway of Excellence” fundraising campaign How to donate: Visit www.sutterdavis.org/philanthropy or call Reuben Williams at (530) 750-5220 By Janice Bridge In 2009, my husband Adam and I were in a serious car accident. The car was totaled, and neither of us could believe we both survived. Adam […]

Radical Islam blocks efforts to stamp out polio

The issue: Taliban puts Pakistani children’s futures at risk just as real progress was being made At the start of the new millennium, the United Nations’ health organizations, WHO and UNICEF, were reasonably confident that polio could be eradicated by the end of 2004. Their efforts were bolstered by mega-donations from Rotary International and the […]

June 24, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,