Attack ad out of place locally

Last week’s attack ad is the kind of stuff one expects from the lunatic fringe in the national campaign. However, in this local one? Petulant kindergartners. The ad says nothing about Sue Greenwald … and a whole lot about those who wrote/endorsed it. John E. Moren Davis

May 15, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Wolk backs economic development

When Anthony Costello and I started Davis Roots, we knew we would need help from the City Council. Councilman Dan Wolk, notably, stepped up to champion it. His motion allowed us to set up shop in an unused portion of the Hunt-Boyer Mansion. In Dan, we see a forward-thinking council member with a keen understanding […]

May 18, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

She stands up to special interests

I strongly endorse Sue Greenwald because of her strong principles, honesty and integrity. Sue always stands up to special interests that are not beneficial for our community to maintain its high quality of life. Gary Saylin Davis

I trust both Greenwald, Souza

When you vote, you should always ask the questions, whom do I know and whom do I trust? I am one of those Davis residents who have grown to know Stephen Souza and Sue Greenwald since 1996. They are both hard workers. Greenwald tirelessly studies the issues backwards and forwards and knows her facts. Souza […]

Annular eclipse creates ‘ring of fire’

In Sunday’s article, “Geology prof to discuss meteorite,” the upcoming solar eclipse that can be viewed on Sunday, May 20, just before Qing-Zhu Yin’s talk is mistakenly called an “annual” eclipse, suggesting that it happens each year. In reality, Sunday’s rare event is an “annular” eclipse. Solar eclipses occur when the moon passes directly between our […]

May 18, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

USDA at 150: Farms, food, jobs

Learn more What: USDA celebrates 150 years of service with an informational exhibit and visit by Smokey Bear When: 4-8 p.m. Wednesday at Picnic in the Park Where: Central Park, Fourth and C streets Info: (530) 792-5537 or [email protected] By Val Dolcini One hundred and fifty years ago, in the midst of a great Civil […]

May 15, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Dangerous new wrinkle in underwear bombs

The issue: Double agent blows a big hole in al-Qaida’s plans Undoubtedly, there are details yet to come, but from the facts so far, Saudi intelligence and the CIA have pulled off a brilliant intelligence coup. A double agent, presumably a Saudi, pretending to be a willing suicide bomber penetrated the inner circles of the […]

May 15, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

An empty auditorium made for a full graduation

* Editor’s note: Marion is taking the week off. This column first ran in 2007. The most important moment of my son’s college graduation took place at a concert where the master of ceremonies, some of the performers, and most of the audience didn’t show up. The setting was his small, liberal arts college in […]

May 13, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

None of the Mother’s Day cards seemed right for my mother

So, who are these schmaltzy, saccharine Mother’s Day cards for? Not my mom, that’s for sure. Picking out a Mother’s Day card for my mom was challenging … “For all the times you were there for me.” Nope. “Your love is warm as sunshine.” Hardly. “I’ll never forget your encouragement, wisdom and guidance.” I wish. […]

Take the aggressive driver quiz

The issue: Sure, we’ve all be impatient or in a hurry, but calm down What driving habits madden most everyone on the road? In a survey sponsored by tire maker Michelin, 94 percent of respondents selected tailgating as their leading pet peeve. Tailgating drivers (you know who you are) are followed closely by drivers who […]

May 13, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

What do you think: What’s the best advice your mother gave you?

Brian Miller between jobs, Davis: “Don’t give up.” Chester Hobbs self-defense instructor, Sacramento: “Look both ways before crossing the street.” Jodi Zeisel nanny, Davis: “Sit up straight; nobody likes a sloucher.” Doug Ryen retired, Davis: “You’re responsible for what you know.” Brandon Shing student, Davis: “When life doesn’t work for you, make it work.” Lacey […]

May 13, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

Independent cost-benefit analysis needed for water project

By Michael Harrington, Pam Nieberg and Nancy Price To date, many studies and large amounts of data for the water project have been provided to the city of Davis Water Advisory Committee. The WAC was appointed by the City Council to make decisions on the appropriate preferred project by type, timing of construction and size, […]

Fallen law enforcement officers paid the ultimate price to protect us

By Jeff W. Reisig May 13-19 is National Police Week, which honors officers who have been killed in the line of duty. National Police Week has evolved over the past 30 years. What began as a memorial service attended by 120 survivors and supporters of law enforcement has evolved into a weeklong event that gives […]