She can’t even watch the TV

Dear Annie: I’ve been married for 47 years to a man who is 13 years older than I am. He reminds me often that he is 86 and set in his ways. For much of our marriage, I have carried the load around the house, but now it is worse. My husband barely does anything. […]

First amendment doesn’t cover hurt feelings

Dear Annie: When my son married six years ago, my wife and I welcomed his bride into our family with open arms. I knew my daughter-in-law had views that were much different from mine, but I was confident that we could coexist. I helped them with projects in their new home, and we got along […]

Got a book inside you? Here’s what you can do

“My goal,” says new author Dick Linford, “is to sell a minimum of 2,000 copies.” “Why that number?” I ask. “I have no idea.” Thirty-five years ago I worked for Dick as a river guide, and I’m happy to be one of his 2,000 purchasers. His book, “Halfway to Halfway,” co-authored with fellow raft company […]

October 28, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Family birthdays become a chore

Dear Annie: My cousin and her husband have four young kids. My family is invited to every birthday and Christmas party. Of course, they expect a gift each time. They even register for toys and clothes. Their kids are already spoiled with bedrooms overcrowded with stuff. They also post pictures on Facebook of trips to […]

Accurate info, please

The recent mailings from Americans for Accountability in Leadership regarding John Garamendi’s “voting to cut Medicare funding by $716 billion” present a scary and inaccurate picture. Today’s seniors would not be hurt — savings would come from cutting “projected growth in reimbursements” to hospitals and insurers over a decade. The sponsors of these ads need […]

October 28, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

What do you think: How will you be voting on Prop. 34?

Jocelyn Williams retired educator, Los Osos: “I’ll be voting for ending the death penalty. I don’t believe in it, and the process takes so long and costs so much just to get to that point. Mostly, I just don’t believe in it.” Elizabeth Saft psychologist, Davis: “Yes; it’s uncivilized, it’s contradictory and not part of […]

October 28, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

We’re in good hands with Lovenburg, Peterson

The issue: The challenges are great, but these leaders are more than capable Who in their right mind would want to be a school board member in California during these challenging times? For the past five years, trustees across the state have been forced to slash programs, jobs and facilities in their school districts due […]

October 28, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

GATE students deserve to have their needs met

By Debbie Nichols Poulos The GATE program in the Davis schools has always been controversial. But in the early years of GATE, it was mostly under the radar. These classes were usually only controversial at the schools where they were housed. Some regular classroom teachers felt this program skimmed the cream of the crop out of […]

Prop. 31 has unseen impacts

By Anthony Wright California is facing tough times right now. In Davis and across the state, we all see, or live, with daily reminders of deep cuts to health and human services, public education and other core services. For many years, I’ve worked for reform of our budget process, and our state government, but Proposition […]

Just Us in Davis: We raise our children together

Learn more Who: Fred Brill, superintendent of the Lafayette School District (grades K-8), speaking about how that community transitioned from having 20 percent to 4 percent of its students in self-contained GATE classes with no loss of academic achievement for its accelerated learners When: 7 p.m. Wednesday, Nov. 28 Where: Location TBA By Jann Murray-García I depend […]

The gift of giving

By Kevin Sanchez With the holiday season right in front of us, the Food Bank of Yolo County begins its busiest time of the year. There are more than 34,000 people in Yolo County in need of food assistance and our goal is to serve as many families and individuals as possible this holiday season. […]

The in-laws didn’t come through

Dear Annie: Eleven years ago, we moved halfway across the country in order to live close to my husband’s family. For years, we heard about all the things they would do with our kids if only we lived nearer. My parents were still busy raising my four younger siblings and weren’t really interested in being […]