Are we there yet?: When vehicles outnumber family members

I’m not sure why I’m telling this story because I think my husband and I look pretty bad in it. But I feel like I need to tell it because we know enough people in town who probably already think we look bad. What’s our problem? It is the acquisition of vehicles. We currently have […]

May 31, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Endangering his own daughter

Dear Annie: I’m a 58-year-old woman, and I’m concerned about my year-old granddaughter. When she was merely 4 months old, my son-in-law would toss her up in the air and then catch her. Her head was completely unsupported. When she was 5 months old and the temperature outside was in the 40s and rainy, he […]

May 30, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

No ties to special interests

I want my vote for City Council to go to someone who is not beholden to any special interests, who takes the time and makes the effort to analyze the issues, and who is passionate about the environment and making Davis a better place. For all these reasons and more, I enthusiastically am voting for […]

June 01, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

We can rely on Greenwald

I have lived in Davis for more than 30 years and in that time there have been only two council members that I have agreed with on all important issues. Sue is one of them. She truly represents me on the council and not the developers or other supporters of the interests of the 1 […]

May 31, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Flier’s a tempest in a teapot

I appreciate that Michael Bartolic stopped short of demanding that Seal Team 6 immediately storm Davis and avenge Sue Greenwald’s reputation, but I’m calling him out for violating Godwin’s Law (“Google” it) for deploying Elie Wiesel’s quote about the Holocaust in kicking off his histrionic screed about a flier in a small-town City Council race. […]

How will tactics be viewed?

In her book on Sir Edward Coke, “The Lion and the Throne,” Catherine Drinker Bowen stresses Coke’s remarkable transition from attorney general to chief justice. In the former role, he was “Raucous, witty, ruthless.” At the trial of Sir Walter Raleigh, and others, he “lashed out in bitter, shocking invective.” As judge, however, Coke “risked […]

It’s time for parks tax to end

I’m voting no on Measure D (aka lighting and landscaping tax aka parks tax). This tax was instituted a couple of decades ago to make up for city revenue lost to the new Redevelopment Agency. With the Redevelopemt Agency winding up, there can be no reason to continue with this unnecessary tax. I’m also voting […]

Invest in Davis, vote yes on D

By Alan Pryor On Tuesday, voters will cast ballots on Measure D, the Davis parks maintenance tax renewal. This $49 annual tax per parcel would provide our Parks and Community Services Department with about $1.3 million per year in continued funding for parks and greenbelt maintenance, street tree maintenance, and sports and recreation programs. There […]

May 31, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Making the Fifth Amendment optional

The issue: It says something about our current crop of lawmakers that 173 of them would vote ‘no’ on the Bill of Rights The framers of the U.S. Constitution were admirably clear, or so they and we thought, when they wrote in the Fifth Amendment that no person shall “be deprived of life, liberty or […]

May 31, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Home sales indicate stronger economy

The issue: Housing numbers, if they hold, are a promising start to better days ahead One of the defining features of the Great Recession of 2008 was the crash in the housing market, and it was a truism to say that the economic recovery wouldn’t be complete until housing was once again healthy. THAT MOMENT […]

May 30, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

We need Sue on the council

Sue Greenwald was for financial responsibility long before it became trendy, long before the realities became so obvious that not even a politician could ignore them. She knows all the potential financial skeletons in all the city closets. Some abuses she has been able to block. On others she was outvoted. But she has shown […]

These three have good hearts, minds

I believe public service is a vocation. Those who run for elected office should be led by their sense of responsibility to contribute to our democratic society and driven by a desire to strengthen the community. Governing is a continual process of listening, questioning, seeking common ground and balancing individual interests with good stewardship for […]