Syria’s Assad makes an enemy of Turkey

The issue: Better trained, armed and organized rebel forces are operating from sanctuaries along the border Syria’s president, Bashar Assad, likely has made a fatal mistake for the future of his regime by alienating Turkey. EARLY ON IN THE 16-month uprising, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan called on Assad to cease shelling crowded neighborhoods in […]

July 06, 2012 | Posted in Our View | Tagged ,

Swimmer, coach are true Olympians

I was delighted to read your coverage of UC Davis alumnus Scott Weltz and his amazing win in the 200 men’s breast stroke, placing him among the rarefied ranks of the 2012 U.S. Olympic Team. Missing from the story, however, is the extraordinary subplot involving the coach that helped Weltz achieve this goal. For 15 […]

July 06, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Music, fireworks: Well done!

I just left the Fourth of July celebration at Community Park. I never thought the city could do anything to top the fireworks but I was wrong. It was surpassed when the first of the fireworks exploded just as Dave Alvin was ending his song, “Fourth of July.” Well done, city of Davis. Well done, […]

Stirring reminder of freedom

A great big thank you to the sponsors of the 2012 Davis July 4 fireworks and to the intrepid guitar/vocalists somewhere over by the off-leash dog area who started a beautiful unplugged rendition of the national anthem as the fireworks began. The crowd joined in to sing our national anthem, reminding us all how very […]

Brother playing with fire

Dear Annie: My younger brother, “Gary,” is 27 years old and lives in a two-bedroom apartment. I recently found out from a mutual friend that he is living with “Debbie,” a 17-year-old dropout. This girl quit high school, had a fight with her parents and showed up on Gary’s doorstep asking to use his spare […]

What it all means

Dear Readers: Happy Fourth of July! While you are enjoying the outdoor barbecue, here’s a little history to go with the day: The United States has a Great Seal that is used to authenticate certain documents issued by the federal government. The Great Seal has a picture of a bald eagle with its wings outstretched, […]

Hot summer weather is old news in Davis

When I turned on Channel 13 Saturday afternoon to watch CBS’ golf coverage at the Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Md., I hadn’t yet heard about the massive storms that had wreaked havoc in the mid-Atlantic states on Friday night, killing 13 people, leaving millions without electric power and felling untold numbers of trees. However, […]

July 05, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,

Children victimized in court

Congratulations to Judge Stephen Mock for sentencing Jason Sigur to life in prison for grooming, then raping a 14-year-old girl in her El Dorado Hills home. These are exactly the types of criminals who should be sitting in prison for a lifetime. As taxpayers, we want them there, and are glad to pay taxes toward […]

July 08, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Student trip to S. Korea enriching

I recently returned from a student exchange between Davis and Sangju, South Korea, organized by the Davis Cultural Exchange Club and the Friends of Sangju Committee. For 10 days, we nine students experienced the culture and lifestyle of South Korea first-hand, from pottery classes to sitting in on their (14-plus-hour) school day. Every day was […]

Exciting first steps for project

The Davis Community Church Mosaic Tea & Coffee Exploratory Committee would like to thank all who attended our first community open house presentation on June 23. We very much enjoyed sharing our vision with you. Thanks for joining us in our endeavor to create Mosaic Tea & Coffee, a place where all will be welcome […]

July 05, 2012 | Posted in Letters | Tagged ,

Monticello a delicious find

How often do you taste food alive with flavor? On a recent Tuesday, my neighbor and I went to lunch. There was no parking in downtown Davis so we drove north to Osaka Sushi next to the Davis Food Co-op. Osaka was gone and now there is Monticello Seasonal Cuisine. It looked expensive but we […]

July 05, 2012 | Posted in Forum | Tagged ,

CSU won’t stop offensive speech

California State University professors and other employees cannot engage in “discriminatory behavior, bullying or harassment,” nor may they display “offensive conduct of an unwelcome nature…” So says the Free Speech Handbook issued to every Cal State employee, faculty member and student. But if you examine both the recent and long-term behavior of the university’s most […]

July 06, 2012 | Posted in Columns | Tagged ,